Used 1996 Plymouth Neon Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Plymouth Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

I'm thinking about another one
By slopbox

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

I deliver newspapers in this thing 7 days a week for 7 months at least 120 miles a day 2-4 straight hours or more plus the running I do during the day. I've put one turn signal, and one a/c pump in it (which still doesnt help how weak it is) the light switch kept burning out and my speedometer rarely moved, but those problems are under conrol now. I pay close attention to my gas 28+ which for how I drive is great it does need oil every 3-4 days but its never left me stranded on my route after speeding 3 hours straight. Trans getting shoddy and the braking system getting weak I have a feeling im the one to blame for that. Definitely a bang for your buck but be careful not all Neons are made the same

Engine, reliability, bargain, gas mileage!

Electrical system overhaul, more thorough testing on all Neons

It can take anything.
By AJ

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

I am really attached to my little neon expresso! It has needed a new transmittion right after i bought it and has a minor oil leak. The gas gague hasn't woked since i bought it but i just go by the tripometer. It gets about 27 mpg. The interior design is a little tacky but seriously comfortable. I live in a mountainy area and this car handls turns and hills spectacularly at the speeds i push it to. It ratles a bit but hey it's a decade old and I bought it with 150,000 miles on it. Paint has faded and chipped a bit though.

Handles beautifully and has even done offroading once or twice that it survived.

Needs a better trans.

Cheap Car, One of My Worst Buys
By Fishmonger

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

Ever buy something cheap thinking you can probably "get by" with it only to discover that it broke after 2-3 uses? That's exactly how I feel about my Neon. I definitely wish now that I had spent $4,000 more or so and picked up a Civic instead. I have had headgasket trouble, oil and transmission leaks, failure by the Dodge dealership to fix or even admit the problems, stupid window design that leaks air at highway speeds, plus now my gas mileage has dropped from almost 30 when new to 25. I took it to the shop and they can't figure out why, they just said probably engine and transmission wear. The cost of ownership and hassle have just been too much on this car. My advice - stay away from it like it's a virus.

It was cheap ($3,000 - $4,000 below comparable models at the time) and on paper looked good in HP ratings when I bought it.

Fix the headgasket, windows, electrical parts, interior design, overall build quality.

An average car...
By Dan

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

I bought mine used with just over 40k miles. Since then, thankfully, I haven't had to replace the head gasket, though I'm just waiting for the day when it does. I'm up to 114k miles, and there's hardly a speck of paint left on the roof. It was white, now it's a nice shade of primer gray/rust. The car runs, though it seems to be burning oil. I still get decent highway mileage, though my city mileage, as I do mostly local driving, is slowly creeping more towards 20 mpg and away from 30. I'm ready to ditch it and upgrade to something nicer. My roommate keeps threating to use it to sight in his new rifle.

It's not a bad car, and I got a decent deal on it when I bought it.

The lug wrench included is prone to slipping and stripping the lug nuts. The cupholders won't hold anything larger than a 20 oz. bottle or medium soda from McDonalds, and the location right under the stereo doesn't leave a whole lot of room.

Bessie's Ailments
By BuyingANewCar

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

Bessie (my red 1996 Neon) is suffering. Here is a list. - Horn didn't work, then came on by itself - A/C died 2X - Blinker switch replaced 2X - Brakes defective - Electrical system died leaving only headlights working 2X - Gas tank replaced - Head gasket blew 2X (I refuse to fix it this time, but can't drive it because it goes through 1 qt. of oil every 2-3 days)

Good when driving in snow. Sound system WAS pretty good. Good gas mileage. Always started for me.

Noise reduction, reduce fogging of windows, better head gasket, find a way of not having the front heat/defrost blowing up the noses of the front seat passengers.

• SUV