1996 Plymouth Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
I'm thinking about another one
By slopbox on 07/15/08 20:41 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

I deliver newspapers in this thing 7 days a week for 7 months at least 120 miles a day 2-4 straight hours or more plus the running I do during the day. I've put one turn signal, and one a/c pump in it (which still doesnt help how weak it is) the light switch kept burning out and my speedometer rarely moved, but those problems are under conrol now. I pay close attention to my gas 28+ which for how I drive is great it does need oil every 3-4 days but its never left me stranded on my route after speeding 3 hours straight. Trans getting shoddy and the braking system getting weak I have a feeling im the one to blame for that. Definitely a bang for your buck but be careful not all Neons are made the same

It can take anything.
By AJ on 04/29/08 12:08 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

I am really attached to my little neon expresso! It has needed a new transmittion right after i bought it and has a minor oil leak. The gas gague hasn't woked since i bought it but i just go by the tripometer. It gets about 27 mpg. The interior design is a little tacky but seriously comfortable. I live in a mountainy area and this car handls turns and hills spectacularly at the speeds i push it to. It ratles a bit but hey it's a decade old and I bought it with 150,000 miles on it. Paint has faded and chipped a bit though.

Cheap Car, One of My Worst Buys
By Fishmonger on 09/15/05 16:39 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

Ever buy something cheap thinking you can probably "get by" with it only to discover that it broke after 2-3 uses? That's exactly how I feel about my Neon. I definitely wish now that I had spent $4,000 more or so and picked up a Civic instead. I have had headgasket trouble, oil and transmission leaks, failure by the Dodge dealership to fix or even admit the problems, stupid window design that leaks air at highway speeds, plus now my gas mileage has dropped from almost 30 when new to 25. I took it to the shop and they can't figure out why, they just said probably engine and transmission wear. The cost of ownership and hassle have just been too much on this car. My advice - stay away from it like it's a virus.

An average car...
By Dan on 06/19/05 21:07 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

I bought mine used with just over 40k miles. Since then, thankfully, I haven't had to replace the head gasket, though I'm just waiting for the day when it does. I'm up to 114k miles, and there's hardly a speck of paint left on the roof. It was white, now it's a nice shade of primer gray/rust. The car runs, though it seems to be burning oil. I still get decent highway mileage, though my city mileage, as I do mostly local driving, is slowly creeping more towards 20 mpg and away from 30. I'm ready to ditch it and upgrade to something nicer. My roommate keeps threating to use it to sight in his new rifle.

Bessie's Ailments
By BuyingANewCar on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

Bessie (my red 1996 Neon) is suffering. Here is a list. - Horn didn't work, then came on by itself - A/C died 2X - Blinker switch replaced 2X - Brakes defective - Electrical system died leaving only headlights working 2X - Gas tank replaced - Head gasket blew 2X (I refuse to fix it this time, but can't drive it because it goes through 1 qt. of oil every 2-3 days)

It's been a great car but it's aging.
By suescq on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

My car has always started and has been very reliable. It has had it's share of problems including the head gasket which has gone out twice, the air conditioning which is poorly designed (the electrical system burned a hole in the hose), and I had to replace my gas tank recently. Otherwise, the car has served it's purpose and always gets me to work and back.

This Car does suck
By Kandys on 12/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

Well the first yr was pretty good because there was only 25,000 mi on it. But now after 55,000 i have had two major oil leaks had to get a whole new transmission in it. The spedometer has'nt worked for a year and a half. Also like others i got the neon with the paint defect the blue one that chips. Also when its cold it does'nt start up very well and the motor is very loud. Never buy a neon again.

Chrysler is a rip-off!!!
By Sage on 09/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

Actually, I've really enjoyed my neon for the most part. The thing that really SUCKS is that I bought one that has a enormous paint defect - the blue one just chips and peels. This peeling began during year 2 of owning the car and Chrysler said they will take no responsibility for it EVEN THOUGH THEY ADMIT it's a defect of paint. While overall the car is good, I will never give my $$$ to chrysler again.

Do not buy Chrysler
By boycotting Chrysler on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

Within the first year, the weatherstripping on the right side of the car had to be replaced (covered under warrenty, but the new strip does not match the one on the left side of the car). The windows occassionally leak when it rains, as does the floor of the front passenger's seat. Recently, the trunk leaked and soaked everything inside. There are oil leaks, which a mechanic said is a factory defect and will cost a few hundred to fix. Finally, the paint is peeling off and exposing the primer. Chrysler is only willing to pay for 50% of the $1400 paint job. I've had it with Chrysler and their employees. I'm off to buy a Honda or Toyota!

needs better refine, better interior
By Mike bmw on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

19,000 miles gasket blew out, fuel sensor need to be replaced, 25,000 guages went out, 37,000 check in came on replaces spark plugs, wires, cost over 700 bucks in maintances, 40,000 replace all 4 tires, Very poor paint quality start peeling at 25,000 miles. The car handles well but tons of interior noise coming from the engine.