1996 Plymouth Neon Consumer Reviews

1996 Plymouth Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
True Beliver
By Chuck W. on 07/26/09 14:49 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

This car was well taken care of and showed minimum wear for the amount of miles and year. Avg miles driven per yr. was about 11000. I purchased the car for my grandaughter who is 16. It is a 5 speed stick and gets about 25 to 27 miles per gal in town. The owner had all repair bills and service done on the car. This is the only reason I would purchase the car.

junk
By hallrs on 04/11/09 14:57 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

My daughter bought this car when she turned 16. We thought it would get her through high school before she would have to buy another. Only a month after she got it the headgasket started to leak, then the water pump went out, the electrical in the dash keep shorting out, the drivers window track broke. This car is hopeless and only had 101,000 miles on it thought for sure she would get at least 30,000 more before it fell apart.I would never buy another neon.

Disappointment
By Bill A. on 11/08/08 10:37 AM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

Bought this car brand new, ordered from the factory back in '95. Thought it would be a fun and reliable car to own for a family of three. Fun, yes. Reliable? Uh, no. Here's a brief list of problems: -Numerous battery replacements -Leaking seal in trunk -Water accumulates in tail light lens -Speed sensor shorting out left me and family stranded during Christmas vacation -ABS gave out -Head gasket replaced twice, still leaks -Instrument panel works intermittently -Water pump and AC compressor needed replacing...And on, and on...and on. Finally giving up and trading it in (if they'll even take it) on a new 2009 Honda CR-V.

Cheap unreliable car
By don't buy a neon on 10/09/08 00:10 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I bought this car and it was a clean looking car and at the time, it seemed reliable. But two months later, the air conditoner stopped working and the car started dying, not to mention the speedometer also went out. Fixed the problem with the car dying, but not the speedometer or air conditoner. I've also had to replace a motor mount recently, but that still has not completely fixed the car. Altogether, I've spent over $400 in repairs but it hasn't really repaired much. I would recommend if you want a good, dependable car to stay away from a Neon.

I'm thinking about another one
By slopbox on 07/15/08 20:41 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

I deliver newspapers in this thing 7 days a week for 7 months at least 120 miles a day 2-4 straight hours or more plus the running I do during the day. I've put one turn signal, and one a/c pump in it (which still doesnt help how weak it is) the light switch kept burning out and my speedometer rarely moved, but those problems are under conrol now. I pay close attention to my gas 28+ which for how I drive is great it does need oil every 3-4 days but its never left me stranded on my route after speeding 3 hours straight. Trans getting shoddy and the braking system getting weak I have a feeling im the one to blame for that. Definitely a bang for your buck but be careful not all Neons are made the same

It can take anything.
By AJ on 04/29/08 12:08 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

I am really attached to my little neon expresso! It has needed a new transmittion right after i bought it and has a minor oil leak. The gas gague hasn't woked since i bought it but i just go by the tripometer. It gets about 27 mpg. The interior design is a little tacky but seriously comfortable. I live in a mountainy area and this car handls turns and hills spectacularly at the speeds i push it to. It ratles a bit but hey it's a decade old and I bought it with 150,000 miles on it. Paint has faded and chipped a bit though.

Peters Neon
By peter on 09/08/07 21:25 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

My Neon is a great fun car because it gets great gas mileage, 35 mpg hiway and 33 in town. Its AC system works great even on 115 degree days cooling the cab fast. I drive this car 95 miles to work and back 6 days a week.

Bad oil leak and electrical problems!
By szq7 on 08/05/06 12:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

Bought my Neon used and had no problems the first couple of years. Then it started leaking oil and had a lot of electrical problems. Radio has not worked for 5 years. The speedometer and gas gauge not working properly. I bought a new car this year, so I am finally going to sell mine, if anyone will buy it.

my piece
By kayla on 04/21/06 11:56 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I recently bought my Neon in January of this year. Already everything is going wrong with it. My water pump was replaced in February. My head gasket needs to be replaced within the next 2 months and my fuel pump broke last month. I understand it's a 10 year old car, but my last car was an 89 and NOTHING went wrong with it while I had it.

10 Years and still going strong
By Angela on 01/25/06 15:43 PM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I've had my Neon for a long time now, and I've had to do some substantial work to it. It is pushing it's 200,000th mile and is still going good. Personally, i think the older Neon's are a great beginner car for a young driver because they are easy to handle and have lots of safety features. I love my Neon and wish I could keep it much longer.