Used 1993 Plymouth Laser Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Plymouth Laser - Consumer Reviews

1993 Plymouth Laser Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Laser model:

engine timing farce
By kevin

1993 Plymouth Laser Hatchback RS 2dr Hatchback

Had to have the head redone twice because of bent valves, because of the timing being out. What a nightmare. The second time it was because of the harmonic balancer splitting in half because it is 2 pieces with a rubber center, of course this threw it off time and now it's in the garage with no compression on no 4 cylinder. Body in perfect cond. but i think that this one is cursed on the motor. WOW! Time for the junk yard.......

Wish I got it new
By gordon g

1993 Plymouth Laser Hatchback RS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with a broken turn lens for 500. I have spent about 1200 on replacing all wear items. Well worth it! Its a fun, sexy car, gets good gas mileage, is dependable and has lots of tuner potential, unfortunatly, it has 173,000, not worth the money to upgrade. I don't know why the book value is so low, its a great solid little car. I wish I got it new for 14,000, it would be on the cover of a tuner mag! Good reliable transportation!

Favorite Features

Sexy little bump on hood, Corvette style hood, gold rims and pinstriping. interior is small but functional, seats are very comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Back seat for looks only

Plymouth Laser RS Hatchback
By Ben Kluever

1993 Plymouth Laser Hatchback RS 2dr Hatchback

I have owned the car for less than a month now and it has been great. I am thinking about throwing a stage 3 turbo in it to make it a little bit more fun. but otherwise this thing can get up and go if you want it to!

Favorite Features

Acceleration, speed, clutch

Suggested Improvements

Turbo, clutch, intake system

Impressed
By JHT

1993 Plymouth Laser Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I got this car my sophomore year in college. I was so excited to find such a "cool car" in my price range, which was nothing! (I got the car for less than $4,800 and paid cash for it.) It's really been a great car. I love how well it is on gas, especially in the city. I've put a lot of miles on it in a short period of time. I don't have cruise control, though, and that's a big down side. The paint on the roof is fading, but other than that, the rest of it, cosmetically, looks super. I am actually in the market for a new car now, and I must say, It will be sad when I get rid of my reliable little, blue Laser!

Favorite Features

I like the sporty style. The bucket seats are comfortable. I love the bright blue! Gas mileage is pretty good. The straight stick and sunroof are fun.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint work ... the paint is fading pretty badly on the roof and I NEVER put things up there. My sunroof is starting to leak in really heavy rains. The trunk space is way to small and the hatch back doesn't stay open on its own anymore.

Amazing Car
By "B"

1993 Plymouth Laser Hatchback RS Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

I purchased my 1993 Plymouth Laser this past summer. I knew that all of the mechanical parts were made by Mistubishi from the start which was of course a big plus. I bought it for $1,500 with just over 100,000 miles on it. I knew I was getting a good deal, but now I know just how great it really was. It can be as quiet as a kitten. But when someone gets on your bad side, all it takes is a little tap on the gas after gearing down and it is no trouble to pass most vehicles. From a standstill, its always nice to be able to hit 60 in second gear, and do so without waiting very long. I haven't driven it in the winter yet, but the AWD as kept me from spinning (when I don't want to that is) so far.

Favorite Features

The turbo and nice handling.

Suggested Improvements

Give it a stiffer suspension, although I might just have some wear on mine.