Used 1990 Plymouth Laser Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Plymouth Laser - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Laser model:

DSM Rules!
By KAR120C

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this 90 Plymouth RS Turbo from a local dealership at a decent price with 161k on the clock. Had a new motor/turbo (A Big 16G) installed. Did a full belt replacement on this vehicle, tuneup, new tires and this thing is definitely a "Road Rocket" as was mentioned in a MOPAR review when these vehicles came out in the summer of 1989. Take it on a trip and it just flies down the freeway with superb handling and agility. Fuel economy ranges from the mid to high 20mpg range- as long as I didn't get carried away on the throttle. This is my 3rd DSM and love every one of them.

Favorite Features

The ergonomic feel of the cockpit - the seats are so confortable to be in and love the way you drive and ride low in these things. Rear wiper comes in totally handy-being as big as it is.

Suggested Improvements

As an old vehicle, I can't ask for improvements from the factory. But, when they were built in the early 90's, maybe larger wiperblades be in store so the entire windshield was wiped instead of leaving a good 6 inches from the window top.

DSM classic quality
By Miles Hoffmann

1990 Plymouth Laser 2dr Hatchback

I purchased my '90 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo this last spring - being this is my third DSM vehicle and my first turbo machine. Unit was well taken care of outside of a few dings here and there. I really love these vehicles due to the classis "1G" styling of the 'pop-up' headlights, radical cockpit interior, low riding seats which are tons confortable to sit in - even on long distances. Also, quite impressed, even with a turbo motor, achieving 28mpg on an average city/freeway run. Overall, best vehicles that could ever be on the road.

My 1990 Plymouth Laser
By vannyc

1990 Plymouth Laser RS 2dr Hatchback

Even though my Plymouth Laser had many problems when I bought it, once all the things were fixed it ran like brand new and is very reliable now. I love it.

Favorite Features

The interior gagues and the powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

Give it a better turbo engine.

It's a DSM
By Dragonfire

1990 Plymouth Laser RS 2dr Hatchback

This DSM, like all, need lots of attention. The car can be troublesome when puting upgrades in, bolt on or otherwise. You will always want to have patience with this car. The only other problem is that the backseat isn't very useable. Other than that, The Plymouth Laser is a fun car to drive and one that you will get noticed in.

Favorite Features

The front interior is comfortable. The insurment cluster looks good. Ample trunk space for a weeks worth of backpacking gear for two people. Lastly there is a lot of things you can do with it (any type of interior/exterior/engine upgrades).

Suggested Improvements

The Laser can take any first generation upgrades for a Talon or Eclipse too so there are plenty to work with. I suggest a new exhaust for added performance. Other than that, get professional help for any other major upgrades.

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
By Braden LLerenas

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I've had this car for a few year but i just bought a rebuilt engine for it last fall anyway I love this car Its fun to drive and pretty reliable

Favorite Features

5 speed

Suggested Improvements

more MPH on the speedometer