1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Voyager model:
3.3 V6 is a Great engine
By tmgj on 08/16/13 18:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Our van has 189,000 miles and is still going strong, original transmission and engine. A couple times a year it needs a new part or two, but it's always small, cheap stuff. I think the transmission problem is with the 3.8 V6, not the 3.3 b/c me and everyone I know with the 3.3 hasn't had transmission problems. I splurged on new shocks/struts and tires and the thing cruises so smooth down the interstate you'd think it was new. We've been very happy with this van. Only gripe is the gas mileage, 14 around town, 20-21 on the highway, it's about the same as an SUV.

99 voyager
By oldcarguy4 on 10/30/12 09:57 AM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan 4dr Minivan

the thing I'm mainly concerned with is the area around the strut on drive front is rusted out on mine. safety factor big hole can see strut from under the hood. Is there a recall cause if mine is that way must be others also. otherwise the van is fine

Happy Van
By FEN1959 on 03/31/10 13:36 PM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought my 99 Grand Voyager new. It's been very reliable. While under warranty I had a problem with rear wheel bearings and with the overdrive sensor in the transmission. At about 80,000 miles, had a problem with the headlight switch. Still looks good at 151,000 miles and I plan to run it for a while yet. The 3.3 engine is very reliable and I've not had problems with the transmission that seem to plague others.

Best car I've ever owned.
By Alan B. on 10/14/09 11:50 AM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I've been driving for 44 years and owned maybe a dozen cars. This is by far the best of all. I have 210,000 miles on this van in 10 years. It's been tuned up only twice, the last time being 3 years ago. Just last week it passed DEQ/EPA emissions testing with flying colors. Not one major component has ever failed up to this point although it appears the starter may need to be replaced soon. I've driven 4,000 mile trips and enjoyed every minute of driving. On one trip in 2008 I drove 1070 miles in 17 hours in a single day. A week later I made the retun trip in a single day. At no time was I uncomfortable or fatigued. Maybe I own the exception rather than the rule but I love it.

Money Pit
By Fed Up Mom on 04/16/09 04:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan 4dr Minivan

We purchased our '99 van in '00 with only 7,000 miles on it. The engine went in 2004. Since then we have replaced oil pump, fuel pump, radiator, and now the transmission is gone. The driver window doesn't work, as well as the left rear vent window. The power lock for the rear hatch stopped working in 2002. We have had trouble with the ac for the past 4 years. The van's rear left speaker caught fire in 2005 while I was driving to work. Thank God my children weren't with me at the time. The bushings are shot and the brake system has always given us trouble. From the first year we purchased it the van leaked water into the front. I regret the day we bought this van.

Dependable
By tabbiekaye on 08/15/08 10:35 AM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought vehicle in 2002 it had 80,000 miles and now has 180,000 miles. It still has all original parts. The only problem is having to change the belt every 3 months.

'99 Van just keeps on going!
By joggerdude on 10/19/06 21:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

We bought our van in late '99 with 30K miles. It was a rental program van. We paid $18K out the door. It's been super reliable and so comfortable on those long trips. I'm not sure how we could get a family of 4 to the beach for a week (including 3 bikes) with any other vehicle. Only issue I had was replacing the rack and pinion when I think all I really just needed was a power steering pump. Other things are typical: tires, starter, battery, belt/tensioner, etc. Transmission has never given me any trouble yet I hear horror stores all the time. We also have never charged the AC and it still blows cold. My wife uses it continually in too. The kids have grown up so now we may sell.

Perfection minus transmission
By whofan on 09/10/05 21:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I haven't had the infamous transmission trouble. This is the best all around vehicle I ever driven and owned. At this time I will not hesitate to replace this van with another, in fact I plan doing so on it when time comes. The headlights on the newer models have been improved, the 96-00 models are a little dim. The rear seat rattles in mine. This van has plenty of zip with the 3.3L engine. It has an outstanding comforable drive, with small car maneuverablity and huge amount of room. This is the best of all worlds although a compromise. My van has 85,000 miles with only routine maintence and one belt tensioner. It has a quality feel and build.

Not a reliable minivan
By minivan driver on 05/19/05 21:59 PM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought van in 2001 with 60,000 miles. Have had to rewire engine compartment ($800) and replace A/C ($1200). Now having trouble with power window. I had a 1992 Grand Voyager that went for 130,000, had to replace transmission and A/C on it, too. So looking forward to buying new transmission on this one. Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, not a bad van. Plenty of room, plenty of power. But next van will be a Toyota, Honda, or Nissan. Sorry, GM and Ford and Chrysler, but you've got to build better cars!

Hey, it's a van -- don't dream big
By Me on 12/22/04 13:08 PM (PST)

1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan Expresso 4dr Minivan

Hand-me down from a family member. 99k miles. Engine and ride are nice, although the 3.3 liter is weak at passing speeds and gas mileage is miserable - Edmunds says 18 mpg city, 24 mpg hwy. I've yet to break 21 mpg, and that's even driving 100% freeway on a few tanks. City gas mileage is 15-16 mpg. No, I don't hammer the gas pedal.FYI, reliablity not promising - previous owner had to pay 1k transmission fix that was under 'extended warranty', but the warranter went bankrupt (go figure) - meaning owner paid for warranty, but ended up paying for fix anyway. One more reason why I don't believe in extended warranties. But hey, I got this van for free, so why the heck am I complaining?