1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Voyager model:
Would buy another
By ztagwil on 04/07/12 16:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager Expresso 4dr Minivan

We were fortunate to have bought an experimental van by Chrysler. It is an Expresso Grand Voyager, 6-cyl, 3.8L. It has a truck chassie and a towing package. We have pulled a camper for 8-9 yrs. Have 195k. It has been a tank, very comfortable with 4 captains chairs. Replaced transmission once. We need another van, to carry 7, and to pull our camper. We think, that if you can find one of the 1600 ever made, you can trust it. Looking for a sleeper (one with low mileage).

Worst car ever
By kabinda on 02/12/12 13:55 PM (PST)

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager Expresso 4dr Minivan

I had a 1998 Expresso model. The best thing about this bucket of bolts was the day I sold it. I owned it for 4 years and the list of parts I went through is to long to mention. I would not recommend this car to my worst enemy, unless they were independently wealthy enough to have it repaired at least twice a month. When I sold it for $600 it still needed almost $1200 worth of parts just to get it started. Because of this heap of junk, I will NEVER even consider another Chrysler product.

TOTAL TRASH
By 12 years of horror on 11/20/09 18:02 PM (PST)

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE 4dr Minivan

Worst car I ever owner(Ford Taurus a close second)I purchased this van new and have always taken it back for service every 3000 mi and did what ever the maintenance called for.Needless to say I have had constant problems from day one with this van.It has been towed more times than I want to remember.Over the years I have just about replaced everything-transmission,starter, generator, steering column,ignition switch 2x,AC parts,wheel cylinders, sway bushings 4x,computer module parts,radiator,gaskets..+++++ Everytime it was repaired I thought that would be it..but problems never stoped.Now that the second trans went again I finally gave up the ship @155K.Toyota/Honda/Subaru, here I come

Same as any other used vehicle
By Cindy on 09/03/09 08:42 AM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE 4dr Minivan

I LOVE the roominess of the van. I have a large family and needed the room and often haul bigger items in it. It has been GREAT for this. This is the 3rd Grand Voyager I've owed. I've replaced the transmission, the surpentine belt several times until I finally replaced the pully and solved that problem. When we replaced the battery, the interior lights started flashing and the cruise stopped working, the lights and the horn don't work. Like everyone has said, transmission and electrical is where you will sink your money into this used vehicle. But every used car has problems. We've taken the rear seats out and had a nice bed when we drove from Idaho to Arizona twice with no problems.

Transmission problems
By Deane'sMiniVan on 08/19/09 16:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager 4dr Minivan

I had always wanted a Mini Van w/a left side door ,we bought one( A Plymouth Grand Voyager) from a couple and it ran like a dream for a week then all of a sudden it would move in Reverse, but will not move in D 1 2 .Do you have any idea if it's the filter ,bands, or what! It has approx 120,000 miles ,By the way the couple was not hard on this van ,they just got a newer one.

Huge Electrical Problems
By Band Mom on 11/04/08 05:27 AM (PST)

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager Expresso 4dr Minivan

I loved my Voyager until at around 90k all of the gauges stopped working, the interior lights began to flash on and off, the door signal kept ringing and the ABS and service lights came on. All of these things were intermittent, so the dealership couldn't nail down the problem. The diagnostics had so many error codes they couldn't figure it out from that either. It got worse over time. A dealer finally told me that electrical problems were notorious in this vehicle and it was probably caused by a defective body control module? Which is no longer available for this car and the used ones are mostly also defective. So now I have a car that will not pass inspection and I can't sell.

Been good for us
By Happy Owner on 08/13/08 09:58 AM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE 4dr Minivan

I've read a lot of bad reviews on this vehicle but our van has been nothing but great! We bought ours new 10 years ago and have only replaced driver's door window regulator (100,000) the water pump (150,000) and starter (160,000) beyond the usual batteries, tires, transmission service, oil changes etc. The transmission did shift rough a couple of times early (30,000) but dealer fix this under warranty. Van rides very smoothly, handles -like a van- and is great for hauling stuff and family trips and vacations. We have been very pleased and some what suprised by how reliable this vehicle has been. It has the 3.3 V6.

Good Van
By MiniVan on 06/30/08 05:22 AM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE 4dr Minivan

Overall good van. One problem was 2 yrs ago AC compressor blew up - would not have been too expensive except Chrysler was too cheap to install an in-line screen on the ac lines, thus metal exploded into ac lines. My mechanic tried in vain to flush, but ended up replacing compressor, etc. He probably spent 2 weeks - on / off trying to fix - labor was probably 2 grand, but he only charged me 2k w/ all parts & labor. Also front headlights stink - plastic covers have discolored over time - but these lights never illuminated greatly. Other than that van has run 10.5 years w/out too much of a problem. Would I buy again yes.

Reliability Problems after 100,000 miles
By Ten Year Owner on 10/12/07 20:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager Expresso 4dr Minivan

I've owned this vehicle for ten years and it still is a comfortable, spacious, and convenient ride. For the past few years, since it hit the 100,000 mile mark I've had to replace the transmission ($2,500), the circuit board and the body control module ($1,500). I'm probably going to have to drop some more cash as the "service engine soon" and "oil light" are on again. They should make those lights in the shape of dollar signs. A consistent theme across these reviews is widely favorable ratings in the early years, followed by substantial customer dissatisfaction with reliability and repairs in the later years.

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager Expresso
By best vehicle on 03/30/07 12:38 PM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager Expresso 4dr Minivan

Bought the van with 33,000 miles. Was immediately impressed with the ride and how solid it was. Was a jump from our 1995 Grand Caravan, which we really liked. Had it for 6 yrs, no major problems, had to get the hvac reset when replacing the battery, and the cruise vaccum part had to be replaced. The 3.3 provides the best blend of power and economy.20-26. The quad seating was great. The durability of the interior/exterior materials is excellant. No tranny problems, had it serviced couple of times. One of the best vehicles we ever owned.

1 2 3 4 5 next »