Used 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Voyager model:

Enduring and looking good
By Ronald

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

This vehicle has taken us through our child rearing days just perfectly. Our two children along with the many time we took many other children to school events or camping was ideal. Great hulling capacity and not bad for towing a 12x12 pop-up camper. The ride is still after 11 years a very smooth and comfortable ride. Heating and air conditioning both were very good in front and back with children. We felt very secure and protected driving down the road knowing there is always the possibility of accidents. The style is still fashonable for a family mini van and I will hate to let go of it. Great Job guys, nice design and craft workmanship in building a very good family vehicle. Thanks!

We always enjoyed the cargo capacity as we traveled. The color, style and wareability both interior and exterior. There was absolutely no rust until after 9 years. Loved both sliding passenger doors and that the passenger seating was removable for cargo. Great privacy with the tinted windows.

The transmission when out at 72,000. Most door locks failed after 7 years. The acryllic headlight cover ware is terrible and too costly to replace. And the worst is the hub caps that we went through to make the vehicle presentable, was just awful guys! Do a better job for the apperance to last.

This has been a great van!
By Janet

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Bought this van with 205K on it. It was a dealership courtesy van, and we got it for a great price. It was supposed to be a transitional vehicle. Almost 5 years later, it has 265K on it and is still extremely reliable. The cruise and A/C didn't work when we got the van, and we've never had them fixed, so I can't really speak to those. I don't believe I have ever had a more reliable vehicle and was shocked to find I love driving a minivan. It handles great and is very comfortable. The only drawback I found was the gas mileage. If it got at least 30 mpg on the highway (or gas dropped back below $2), I'd buy another in a heartbeat!!

Room - With the seats out, I put a riding lawn mower (assembled) and a push mower (in box) in the back

Better mileage

Best car I've ever owned
By Dave

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

I must have gotten one of the good ones. I've have very little trouble with this van and I've got 206,000 miles on it. The worst was an air conditioner condenser leaking and the next was an idler pully bearing. Other than that just tires, brakes etc. Seems like just about anything will fit inside. Love the driver side sliding door. Comfortable to drive and decent gas mileable for a van this size.

Versatality. Interior room.

Lighter second and third seats. Difficult for one person to remove and reinstall.

7-year warranty worth the cost
By HondaFan

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Bought the 7-year warranty and got every penny out of it. Boy did they lose money. I have replaced the gas tank, exterior moldings (fell off), transmission, belt, computer (3 times), motor mounts, driver door power window assembly, left sliding door power door locks, clock spring in steering wheel, electrical wiring harness, ball joints, radiator, brake cylinder, several windshields, right side slider window...and that was just in the first 7 years. We had every service at the dealership, had every lube-oil-filter service done at the dealership, and never abused the van in any way. It was just built crappy.

Driver-side sliding door, seven passenger seats, roomy, child seats that fold away, storage space in rear, luggage rack, body style.

Buy a Honda Oddessy! Yeah, I know, foreign, but if you want to save money and headache in the long run, always go Honda. All our jobs are going oversees anyway...even GM jobs. I have owned 8 hondas and never had an issue. I only bought this van for the driver-side sliding door...(first of its kind).

Got my money's worth
By DL

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Bought this vehicle as a Program car with 73 miles - used at the MCI golf tournament first. At 144K now, still on first transmission. No big problems yet. Water pump, tensioner, and brakes replaced (twice). Wipers on their own plan at times. Just replaced wiper motor. Lock quit working on right sliding door. I'll never get locked out this way! Great family car for trips. Being in military, we've done many and this van made it very bearable.

Leg room for everyone!

Do a recall on the door locks and wiper motor switches. These have been fairly common problems.