1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Voyager model:
Enduring and looking good
By Ronald on 09/12/08 09:50 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

This vehicle has taken us through our child rearing days just perfectly. Our two children along with the many time we took many other children to school events or camping was ideal. Great hulling capacity and not bad for towing a 12x12 pop-up camper. The ride is still after 11 years a very smooth and comfortable ride. Heating and air conditioning both were very good in front and back with children. We felt very secure and protected driving down the road knowing there is always the possibility of accidents. The style is still fashonable for a family mini van and I will hate to let go of it. Great Job guys, nice design and craft workmanship in building a very good family vehicle. Thanks!

This has been a great van!
By Janet on 01/15/08 07:29 AM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Bought this van with 205K on it. It was a dealership courtesy van, and we got it for a great price. It was supposed to be a transitional vehicle. Almost 5 years later, it has 265K on it and is still extremely reliable. The cruise and A/C didn't work when we got the van, and we've never had them fixed, so I can't really speak to those. I don't believe I have ever had a more reliable vehicle and was shocked to find I love driving a minivan. It handles great and is very comfortable. The only drawback I found was the gas mileage. If it got at least 30 mpg on the highway (or gas dropped back below $2), I'd buy another in a heartbeat!!

Best car I've ever owned
By Dave on 09/19/07 14:07 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

I must have gotten one of the good ones. I've have very little trouble with this van and I've got 206,000 miles on it. The worst was an air conditioner condenser leaking and the next was an idler pully bearing. Other than that just tires, brakes etc. Seems like just about anything will fit inside. Love the driver side sliding door. Comfortable to drive and decent gas mileable for a van this size.

7-year warranty worth the cost
By HondaFan on 08/31/07 15:19 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Bought the 7-year warranty and got every penny out of it. Boy did they lose money. I have replaced the gas tank, exterior moldings (fell off), transmission, belt, computer (3 times), motor mounts, driver door power window assembly, left sliding door power door locks, clock spring in steering wheel, electrical wiring harness, ball joints, radiator, brake cylinder, several windshields, right side slider window...and that was just in the first 7 years. We had every service at the dealership, had every lube-oil-filter service done at the dealership, and never abused the van in any way. It was just built crappy.

Got my money's worth
By DL on 04/30/06 20:51 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Bought this vehicle as a Program car with 73 miles - used at the MCI golf tournament first. At 144K now, still on first transmission. No big problems yet. Water pump, tensioner, and brakes replaced (twice). Wipers on their own plan at times. Just replaced wiper motor. Lock quit working on right sliding door. I'll never get locked out this way! Great family car for trips. Being in military, we've done many and this van made it very bearable.

Run Screamin'
By sickofvoyage.com on 04/21/05 13:12 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Don't ever purchase a Plymouth Voyager. Replace your smoke alarm battery when you set your clocks for DST, and replace the transmission when you change the oil. Other than the face that this van is a complete piece of junk, its been a really nice van.

Know what you're getting into...
By bdraggoo on 02/18/05 16:41 PM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

We have been very happy with this high-mileage van we purchased used. Great for a family. Would never want the smaller version - get the "Grand" for a little 'trunk' space! There are issues, however: the rear windshield wipers don't always work, the front wipers sometimes don't turn off right away, etc.The biggest thing to to be aware of is that Voyagers (as well as other Dodge/Plymouth vehicles) need a new transmission every 50k miles or so. That can be spendy ($1000+). We knew about the transmission problems before purchasing, got a good price, and love the van, however. So I think the overall 'long-term' cost was good - for us. But it's definitely something to consider.

good and bad
By eph on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Bought this 9/02 at 100K mi. and lost it last week with 166K mi. Many problems (6) with the serpentine belt. Needed new transmission at 160K mi., and this was not the car's first transmission replacement. Electronics complexity makes problem diagnostics a nightmare. Very comfortable to drive. Handles fairly well.

My list of problems
By Donald Marcus on 05/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Bought this van new. Was perfect for the first 70,000 miles. Then needed trans rebuilt($1400), ac work ($650). Radio doesn;t work well. New water pump, belt tensioner. Now have 113,000 miles. Need AC compressor ($???) Brakes replaced for 4th time. Needs front wheel bearing. I would buy another one, but, would get rid of it before 70000 miles....

Dependable Transportation
By Dd on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Repeated problem with power doorlocks were the biggest problem. Probably should have been a recall item for the "lifters". I am the original owner and have had to replace various doorlock mechanisms on 4 occasions, some more than once. The car now has 105000 miles and still runs well.