1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Voyager model:
keeps going
By keeps going on 11/10/09 17:07 PM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

Bought the van use in 04, with 125k. It now has 200k yes we have had a new trans. Just last year, replaced the 13 yr. Old starter this week, struts, fuel pump a few yrs. Back just your normal stuff. It does have the 3.3 and not the 3.0 v-6 had one w/ the Mitsubishi 3.0 very bad motor! If you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Piece of Junk!
By Kathryn on 04/04/09 23:03 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

We have 81,000 miles on this van and have to buy a new van because of all the things wrong with this one. It has been nothing but a headache and totally unreliable. No wonder the American car manufacturers are in trouble! I can't believe they ever sold anything like this. Here we come Honda or Toyota.

Enduring and looking good
By Ronald on 09/12/08 09:50 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

This vehicle has taken us through our child rearing days just perfectly. Our two children along with the many time we took many other children to school events or camping was ideal. Great hulling capacity and not bad for towing a 12x12 pop-up camper. The ride is still after 11 years a very smooth and comfortable ride. Heating and air conditioning both were very good in front and back with children. We felt very secure and protected driving down the road knowing there is always the possibility of accidents. The style is still fashonable for a family mini van and I will hate to let go of it. Great Job guys, nice design and craft workmanship in building a very good family vehicle. Thanks!

Lasted 200 K miles
By ds on 07/07/08 19:40 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

Original owner, now has 210,000 miles. This thing eats brakes and batteries,and is on its third: serpentine belt, tensioner, starter, and several other parts. lots of other parts replaced once. Never any problems with exhaust, or engine. minor elec. problems/annoyances. Transmission has leaked for 3 years, but with adding fluid keeps working fine. This van has tons of room. These can be great, cheap used cars. By now, evertyhing that can break, already has. Get brakes replaced where they offer a guarantee; you'll need it.

Electrical system nightmares
By nomorevan on 06/24/08 03:40 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

Shortly after I bought it I had to replace the transmission. Not had problems with that since. The electrical system is a nightmare. No heat, no a/c, no radio, no horn, locks go haywire,(locking and unlocking at will)and now the alarm will set off any time it feels like it. Thus, it will not allow the van to start. I'm ready to shoot it. Also the front axle broke on me while driving it in a construction zone with my children with me. Now that I have replaced the transmission it does run well, but with so many electrical problems it isn't worth owning.

This has been a great van!
By Janet on 01/15/08 07:29 AM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Bought this van with 205K on it. It was a dealership courtesy van, and we got it for a great price. It was supposed to be a transitional vehicle. Almost 5 years later, it has 265K on it and is still extremely reliable. The cruise and A/C didn't work when we got the van, and we've never had them fixed, so I can't really speak to those. I don't believe I have ever had a more reliable vehicle and was shocked to find I love driving a minivan. It handles great and is very comfortable. The only drawback I found was the gas mileage. If it got at least 30 mpg on the highway (or gas dropped back below $2), I'd buy another in a heartbeat!!

Long road
By Joe on 01/12/08 11:42 AM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought my mini van in 1996 and have been the sole owner. The van has been great for the hauling people and materials, I love its ability to do so. At 20 mpg it has been economical to run. THe high tail gate invites backing up accidents, a back up camera is a good idea. I replaced the exhaust at 60k miles, the brakes every 45k miles, which is typical. At 90k miles a valve sealed failed which my mechanic says is typical of the 3liter engines. The transmission went at 105k miles, also typical of the vans. The blower motor typically fails too.

Best car I've ever owned
By Dave on 09/19/07 14:07 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

I must have gotten one of the good ones. I've have very little trouble with this van and I've got 206,000 miles on it. The worst was an air conditioner condenser leaking and the next was an idler pully bearing. Other than that just tires, brakes etc. Seems like just about anything will fit inside. Love the driver side sliding door. Comfortable to drive and decent gas mileable for a van this size.

7-year warranty worth the cost
By HondaFan on 08/31/07 15:19 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Bought the 7-year warranty and got every penny out of it. Boy did they lose money. I have replaced the gas tank, exterior moldings (fell off), transmission, belt, computer (3 times), motor mounts, driver door power window assembly, left sliding door power door locks, clock spring in steering wheel, electrical wiring harness, ball joints, radiator, brake cylinder, several windshields, right side slider window...and that was just in the first 7 years. We had every service at the dealership, had every lube-oil-filter service done at the dealership, and never abused the van in any way. It was just built crappy.

Got my money's worth
By DL on 04/30/06 20:51 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Bought this vehicle as a Program car with 73 miles - used at the MCI golf tournament first. At 144K now, still on first transmission. No big problems yet. Water pump, tensioner, and brakes replaced (twice). Wipers on their own plan at times. Just replaced wiper motor. Lock quit working on right sliding door. I'll never get locked out this way! Great family car for trips. Being in military, we've done many and this van made it very bearable.