Used 1998 Plymouth Breeze Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Plymouth Breeze - Consumer Reviews

1998 Plymouth Breeze

View reviews for a specific Breeze model:

1998 2.4L Plymouth Breeze
By nate96

1998 Plymouth Breeze 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 98 Breeze with 227k for a year, purchasing it for $1200. I have encountered some issues, such as a bad master cylinder, a broken power steering hose, and common maintenance, 2 wheel bearings and control arms. The only major issue is the transmission. On summer days after 30 min. of highway driving the car will lurch, rev to 3500 rpm, and go into limp mode. That being said, the car has been reliable and gets me where I need to go with good mpg(25-27) The handling is good, especially in the winter, and it cruises well down the freeway. The interior suffers from small cup holders and poor insulating, leading to a noisy ride. Overall, the Plymouth Breeze is a solid, reliable car.

Great Car..
By ktackitt1212

1998 Plymouth Breeze Expresso 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 3 months ago for $1600 from someone who purchased it from an auction. When i bought it, it had 120,000 miles on it..My mother has the same year explorer with 180,000..So pretty good. This car has been great. When i first purchased it, we changed the oil, and a couple of belts that looked worn. Replaced a bulb, and recently we replaced a hose. (All very cheap parts.) The car is very comfortable on the inside, great for road trips, gets good gas mileage. Mine is purple, and the clear coat is chipping everywhere, but THANKFULLY my brother works in a body shop and it is getting painted this weekend. All in all, I'm glad to have this as my first car..and its made in AMERICA.

Favorite Features

2.4 Liter, Automatic.. EXPRESSO.

BETTER THAN MY $5K DODGE...
By oakwood_1233

1998 Plymouth Breeze Expresso 4dr Sedan

i bought this car after my 5 thousad dollar 2000 dodge intrepid died, the motor blew. i found this car through a co-worker who sold it to me for $500, almost 4 years ago. ive never had a problem with the motor or transmission. ive never had any issues, besides regular wear issues. i had to put around 550 dollars into it for inspection purposes. but after that nothing else. just drove it 650 miles (first road trip) and it didnt skip a beat. i averaged 20 mpg, which for a 4 cylinder i think is high. considering the weight of the car, i assume. good car to me. has 146,000 miles on it now.

Favorite Features

i think personally my favorite feature is how cheap i got this car...lol...i bought it for 500 dollars 4 years ago and i found one online recently for 1200 dollars. the parts are cheap, they have some in the junk yard, and if it gets a dent i dont sweat it lol

Suggested Improvements

im not a certified mechanic, but i think there is a problem with the gas milage. i think that 4 cylinder doesnt have enough power to propel that car efficiently. it has enought to move it but i think the car should have had a 6 cylinder and it would have been better over a long period of time. idk just a thought. the only thing i dont like is the size, im over six feet tall, so over a long trip its uncomfortable.

Never a Problem
By greenfield2

1998 Plymouth Breeze 4dr Sedan

Bought the breeze @ 209K for 550, and put 500 into it for new brakes and tie-rod Never been in the shop since great car for getting around and going places the cars at 233K and still going strong. Great first car I would suggest it for anyone looking for a good car

Terrible, first car nightmare
By Anonymous

1998 Plymouth Breeze 4dr Sedan

My mom bought a car for my sister and I for our first car. she ended up giving me this piece of crap because it's racking up the repairs. I can't rely on it to be good for a couple months without a major repair and I don't do anything other than drive to work everyday.Having no heat every freaking winter in Minnesota sucks terribly, head gaskets, radiators, etc always goes out annually.AC also went out, blowers went out, trunk latch stopped working randomly, brakes squeak even after being in shop, horn had to be unplugged because it goes off when I hit the gas, can't replace without doing whole steering column.Very hard to merge in fast traffic with this engine.Piece of crap

Favorite Features

It is comfy and a smooth drive, that is all.

Suggested Improvements

Make it so that this car doesn't have $1500 of repairs ever single year... OMG. Getting a new car, sick of spending all this annual repetitive breakdowns on this stupid thing. The gas mileage isn't even that great, save yourself money and get a better sedan. Something is always going wrong. always..