1992 Plymouth Acclaim Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (10 reviews )
92 Acclaim 6 Cyl
By brian1270 on 01/07/10 18:39 PM (PST)

1992 Plymouth Acclaim Sedan 4dr Sedan

this is my 2nd acclaim - my current is the 6 cyl - SO MUCH BETTER than the 1st - 4 cyl with almost 95,000 miles i am averaging 20 mpg - power, this engine has power and a smooth trans - rides smooth and looks GREAT inside and out the heat is HOT, the air is COLD - typical Chrysler product i am hoping that with routine maintenance, i can get the odometer to 150,000 - worry free miles -

The beloved Acclaim
By palebeachbum on 06/01/09 22:49 PM (PDT)

1992 Plymouth Acclaim Sedan 4dr Sedan

We had our '92 Acclaim for 7 years and put 182k miles on it. The interior and body were very solid. Nothing ever broke or fell off. The engine was problem-free until 160k miles, when it blew the head gasket, typical of the 2.5L 4cyl. We NEVER had any issues with the 3-spd automatic. It was exceptionally plush and roomy for it's small size. The driving dynamics weren't so great (harsh ride, terrible brakes, gutless power), but it was such a dependable and inexpensive car to own. When you own a car for so long and like it as much as we did, it becomes a familiar friend. I miss that car so much!

My '92 Acclaim
By ross on 11/18/08 14:47 PM (PST)

1992 Plymouth Acclaim Sedan 4dr Sedan

Ok so I don't how you other guys are driving your cars but my '92 Plymouth Acclaim (with 2.5L inline 4) averages nearly 35 mpg on the highway even during winter. It has about two hundred and sixty thousand kilometers on it and its still running strong

plymouth
By steven on 08/17/05 23:20 PM (PDT)

1992 Plymouth Acclaim Sedan 4dr Sedan

A lot of mecanics don't like these cars just because they are MOPAR and are cheep to fix, they say they have electrical problims but it is easy to fix. It is mostly the wire close to the battery that burns into that causes the backup lights ceiling light, a/c / heater fan, and the back glass defogger to not work but it is easy to replace. Some say the transmissions are poor but they just don't know how to work on this. It is simply a $120 dollar fix of the two fromt axles with u joints replace those every 100,000 miles the car will run forever. I hope this helps a Plymouth owner with these problems oh and if it sputters and doesn't want to start buy a new distributor. I figured this out and I'm only 21 years old.

Dependable Car
By CBix on 04/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Plymouth Acclaim Sedan 4dr Sedan

Have owned this car for 12 years now, and with 80,000 miles and counting, it's still doing fine. Starts every single time, even in sub-zero temps. Even with the 4 cylinder engine, it has plenty of get-up-and-go, even now. Rides like a dream on the highway as well. The body has a weakness for rust, and the worst thing about it is that the primer was not applied properly and big sheets of paint started peeling off the roof at about 9 years old.

Reliable, yet not the funnest car
By davyflave on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Plymouth Acclaim Sedan 4dr Sedan

In the 2 years I owned this car (2000- 2002), the only problems I had were having to replace brake pads, and having to replace a rusted out exhaust pipe. Also, there was a bit of oil leakage, but not where pressure was needed, so it didn't affect performance. Even at 10 years, I could still out-accelerate most people on the road, and getting on highway entrance ramps were a snap. The powerful V6 engine catapulted me on demand, and the brakes worked excellently, but unfortunately not excellently enough to save itself two days ago. NOTE: The engine in my model had been rebuilt at around 100,000 miles.

Good but bad!
By thegurlupstairs on 07/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Plymouth Acclaim Sedan 4dr Sedan

My 1992 Plymouth Acclaim was in wonderful condition until it was stolen from a parking lot. Little did I know that the 92 Acclaim are very easy to steal and quite expensive to fix once they are stolen. The ignition was popped out with a easy of a screw driver. Beware when you leave your car! It could very easily be your Acclaim.

Pretty good car
By Lyn on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Plymouth Acclaim Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had a '92 Plymouth Acclaim for the last ten years. Had some problems with oil sensor/oil leaks early on; later, just getting it to pass emissions. It's held up pretty good despite a fair amount of neglect. 3.0L V6 has lots of power. Interior features are good -- mine came with the power doors, etc. Been having some overheating problems the last few months. I might be getting another car soon, but I have to say this one has performed well over it's life. Probably would've lasted longer in better condition if I'd been a better owner!

Great car
By swynja on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Plymouth Acclaim Sedan 4dr Sedan

My '92 Acclaim has the 3.0 V6 and the 3 speed automatic trans. (Avoid the 4- speed transmission -- it is much less reliable). The car still runs like new with 182,000 miles. The only things I've replaced under the hood are: cooling fan motor, belt tensioner, and valve cover gaskets. I get about 26 MPG overall. With the 3.0 V6, acceleration is smooth and strong. Highly recommended! The Dodge Stratus and Plymouth Breeze that replaced this model in '96 aren't as reliable.

Time to trade this car in
By time for a new car on 03/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Plymouth Acclaim Sedan 4dr Sedan

Am the original owner, and will be trading this vehicle in soon. Major problem was a blown head gasket at 70K. This apparently is a problem on this vintage Chrysler products with the 2.5L engine. Other "stoppers" were a faulty MAP s sensor, and a faulty Hall Effect sensor. Vehicle is showing signs of rust on the driver's door, and the undercarriage is showing severe rust. (hardly any metal left to support the muffler - Michigan winters and summers with calcium chloride treated dirt roads are hard on vehicles) Have just replaced the O2 sensor for the second time. Vehicle has consistently gotten mileage in the high 20's.