Used 1992 Plymouth Acclaim Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Plymouth Acclaim - Consumer Reviews

1992 Plymouth Acclaim

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (10 reviews )

92 Acclaim 6 Cyl
By brian1270

1992 Plymouth Acclaim 4dr Sedan

this is my 2nd acclaim - my current is the 6 cyl - SO MUCH BETTER than the 1st - 4 cyl with almost 95,000 miles i am averaging 20 mpg - power, this engine has power and a smooth trans - rides smooth and looks GREAT inside and out the heat is HOT, the air is COLD - typical Chrysler product i am hoping that with routine maintenance, i can get the odometer to 150,000 - worry free miles -

The beloved Acclaim
By palebeachbum

1992 Plymouth Acclaim 4dr Sedan

We had our '92 Acclaim for 7 years and put 182k miles on it. The interior and body were very solid. Nothing ever broke or fell off. The engine was problem-free until 160k miles, when it blew the head gasket, typical of the 2.5L 4cyl. We NEVER had any issues with the 3-spd automatic. It was exceptionally plush and roomy for it's small size. The driving dynamics weren't so great (harsh ride, terrible brakes, gutless power), but it was such a dependable and inexpensive car to own. When you own a car for so long and like it as much as we did, it becomes a familiar friend. I miss that car so much!

Favorite Features

Super reliable, roomy, comfortable, and the lowest parts costs of any car I've owned since.

Suggested Improvements

Power, suspension, brakes, engine/wind/road noise.

My '92 Acclaim
By ross

1992 Plymouth Acclaim 4dr Sedan

Ok so I don't how you other guys are driving your cars but my '92 Plymouth Acclaim (with 2.5L inline 4) averages nearly 35 mpg on the highway even during winter. It has about two hundred and sixty thousand kilometers on it and its still running strong

plymouth
By steven

1992 Plymouth Acclaim 4dr Sedan

A lot of mecanics don't like these cars just because they are MOPAR and are cheep to fix, they say they have electrical problims but it is easy to fix. It is mostly the wire close to the battery that burns into that causes the backup lights ceiling light, a/c / heater fan, and the back glass defogger to not work but it is easy to replace. Some say the transmissions are poor but they just don't know how to work on this. It is simply a $120 dollar fix of the two fromt axles with u joints replace those every 100,000 miles the car will run forever. I hope this helps a Plymouth owner with these problems oh and if it sputters and doesn't want to start buy a new distributor. I figured this out and I'm only 21 years old.

Favorite Features

The smooth ride, cheep to fix, and durable motor. I drive mine to Florida and back to West Virginia four times a year. This car is dependable.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the paint job, it peals.

Dependable Car
By CBix

1992 Plymouth Acclaim 4dr Sedan

Have owned this car for 12 years now, and with 80,000 miles and counting, it's still doing fine. Starts every single time, even in sub-zero temps. Even with the 4 cylinder engine, it has plenty of get-up-and-go, even now. Rides like a dream on the highway as well. The body has a weakness for rust, and the worst thing about it is that the primer was not applied properly and big sheets of paint started peeling off the roof at about 9 years old.

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior, ride, power.

Suggested Improvements

This year (92) had a bad problem with paint. Either the primer was bad or applied wrong, but the paint on the roof began peeling off at about the 9 year mark. I've noticed this problem on other Acclaims as well.