Used 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Toronado model:

WAY ahead of its time
By T5258

1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Coupe Trofeo 2dr Coupe

I previously owned an 88 Pontiac 6000 STE, and wanted another vehicle with good handling & ride, along with a bit more power and comfort. The Trofeo really fits the bill! The 3800 has more than adequate (170) horsepower, a nice torque curve, while the 4 wheel independent suspension soaks up bumps & has superior grip! Interior design is well laid out, although I worry about the reliability of the VIC (touch-screen that controls audio, climate & trip computer + a BUNCH of other things). In typical GM fashion, the headliner is beginning to droop, but is well designed inside otherwise. GM really nailed the exterior design as well, both sophisticated & timeless!

Gauge design (all analog-like they should be)..Outstanding exterior styling, Combination of power, ride & handling

Since it's been out of production for almost 20 years, what difference would suggesting improvements make??

Love Grandma's Car
By bw626

1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Coupe 2dr Coupe

My grandpa bought this car wrecked for my grandma in 1995. He fixed it up and she drove it until she got a van to haul the grandkids around. It wasn't a Trofeo but had the digital cluster and was all power. My grandparents have both passed since but we now have the Toronado. It is a fun car and I have never seen another one in our area. It even does great in the snow!

Digital everything, plethora of buttons, comfortable ride, great styling...pretty much everything.

Have experienced problems with the electrical system and A/C.

Toro Forever
By dukemd69

1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Coupe Trofeo 2dr Coupe

This is the best looking, most comfortable and most fuel efficient vehicle I have ever owned. They just don't make vehicles like this anymore. I routinely get 32 mpg, hwy. The only deficiencies that I have experienced, and this is my second Toro, are in the electrical system, and the headliner, which needed minor repair. It has the 3.8L V6 engine that is found in most of the other GM autos, so getting motor parts and repairs poses no problem. I joined the Olds Club of America, but found no one to help me with suggestions. Body parts are virtually non-existent, unless you can find someone parting one out. I have no intention of buying another vehicle, even though I can afford one.

The exterior art deco design, cockpit analog and digital gauges, trip computer, spacious trunk, turbo-styled wheels, full-sized spare, moonroof, stylish graphite leather seats, multi-position power driver and passenger seats, and the sound of the dual exhausts.

Give it better audio speakers, a louder horn, and better headliner attachment.

Love at First Sight - Still in Love!
By marshakar56

1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Coupe Trofeo 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado after seeing it on display at my Delco electonics plant...after sitting in one for 5 minutes I knew that I had to have one. I opted not to get the visual information center, sunroof and cell phone because I don't trade vehicles often...I try to drive their wheels off. I will keep this vehicle going as long as I can find parts for it. It still attracts attention to this day. I have kept it garaged and maintained like new and am often told that the inquiring person thought it was a new car. The only drawback is that I usually can't find parts for it at the local salvage yards. Thank goodness I haven't needed many parts anyway!

The styling is superb, inside and out. Have only had to repair the CD player, instrument cluster, a/c control panel and the water pump in the past 15 years of driving a sporty, sleek and stylish car.

It would have looked even better with a nose on it like the Firebirds or Camaros of the early 2000's.

I hope it lasts forever
By Hoog

1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Coupe Trofeo 2dr Coupe

I've driven and dutifully cared for this car 12 years. I really love it. The only problem areas: Air Conditioning had a leak in the compressor, and the Instrument Panel Cluster module needed a repair after 5 years. Comfortable, great looking, people ask about it all the time. It's unique, and I'll never own another car with this much character. Year after year I look, but nothing compares. I hope it lives forever!

I love that it feeds me all the stats and information I could ever want. It was WAY ahead of its time. It has features I can't find on any newer cars.

Buid more. Oh well, at least I can dream, eh?