Used 1990 Oldsmobile Toronado Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Oldsmobile Toronado - Consumer Reviews

1990 Oldsmobile Toronado

View reviews for a specific Toronado model:

1990 Toronado Brougham
By Stormhawk

1990 Oldsmobile Toronado 2dr Coupe

I bought this car two years ago with 32K miles on it. It was owned by two elderly sisters and they upgraded to a convertible and traded the Toronado. It's been a great car, fun to drive, good gas mileage, extremely comfortable and good looking, and definitely unique. Maintenenance has been easy, the only problems have been related to age, not poor design. The only major things that were replaced were the electronic dash, tires, a few sensors on the motor and hood struts.

Favorite Features

The styling is absolutely one of a kind, long, low and sleek. The interior is comfortable and quiet with plenty of space. The ride is a little soft for my taste, especially driving around town, but it's awesome on the freeway! It's definitely a touring coupe.

Suggested Improvements

Olds should have done a better job designing some of the interior. The cup-holder is absolutely useless and there needs to be more storage in the cabin. A manual transmission and the supercharged 3800 motor should have been made available.

Toro=muscle- nado=speak
By Muscle Talk

1990 Oldsmobile Toronado 2dr Coupe

Awesome car, I first experienced a Toronado as a pedestrian when I was 10 in 1968. I said I would have one some day and now I do. A Ford dealer had this slated for a demolition derby. The body was in good shape and it was undercoated. The K frame was coming apart and was repaired with u-bolts and high carbon steel, stronger now than OEM. Replaced the struts, windsheld, etc. Had it for a run on the highway, its getting 35 mpg on a 25 mile loop, at 55 mph. Just gets better with distance. Fast too 0-60 in about 4 secs. Cranberry color with silver trim, I painted the wheels/side trim in gloss gold and it's so sharp I gotta wear shades.

Favorite Features

Overdrive, ride, sound system, reliabilty. Front wheel drive, I'm 6'2 and plenty of room. Power seat, windows, plenty of trunk cargo. Power mirrors

Suggested Improvements

Better circuitry for isolation of parasitic battery drain. Stronger frame welds and beefier rails. Can do without power locks.

'til death do us part
By oldsfan

1990 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo 2dr Coupe

The Toronado is truly one of the great ones from Oldsmobile. I've owned the car from a pup and it now has over 171,000 miles. The 3800 V6 is strong as can be and never has given any problems. This car was way ahead of its time and is still a pleasure to drive. It is one of the best cars I've owned.

Favorite Features

Very nimble suspension. Unmistakable styling. Relatively rare, even when new. Black on black color combo gives it a sinister, no nonsense appearance.

Suggested Improvements

I don't understand why Olds didn't offer the supercharged version of the engine, that would have been a natural for this car!

Great Car
By HoustonAstrosFan

1990 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo 2dr Coupe

I have had a great experience with this car, i hardly have any problems with it, and i have 215,000 plus miles with it. I put a flowmaster in it and it sounds GREAT!

Favorite Features

The A$$ of the car gives the car an awesome look, so does the dual exhaust. The interior of the car is way ahead of its time, and it is still ahead of its time.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had a little more power.

1990 Trofeo Rocks!
By BrockB

1990 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo 2dr Coupe

I bought the car with 104,000 miles and it now has 195,000. The only problem I ever had was that the a/c compressor froze and had to be replaced. The car still runs perfect and I will keep it but I just bought a 1992 Trofeo and 94,000 miles just so that I can get another of these great cars while they're still able to be found. If you can find one, buy it, 1992 was the last year.

Favorite Features

"The Look", 10 way dual power leather seats, 4 wheel disk brakes, 4 wheel independent suspension, 16 inch wheels, fuel and distance computer

Suggested Improvements

While a has plenty of power, There should have been an option for a more powerful engine.