2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silhouette model:
2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette
By vanowner on 05/15/06 14:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Premiere 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Besdies the usual, I transport 6-7 adults with luggage 4-6 times a year so rear seat headroom is very important to me. The 24 mpg that I have been getting has been excellent for the size of the vehicle. My costs were only wear and tear and recommended maintenance, except for an intake gasket related to the cooling system that apparently is a weak feature in GM cars. Replacing that cost $1,000 when I was out of town on a trip. This has been a very comfortable, efficient, reliable road vehicle.

Happy With This One
By mrkdrv on 02/25/06 18:48 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Oldsmobile Silhouette new and five years later I am still happy with it. It has had no major problems to speak of. The only time I had it at the dealer was to fix the blower, it had lost low speed and the heater in the passenger seat died. Both were fixed without issue. I replaced the front brakes twice, tires twice, and rear brakes once. I am happy with the accelation also. It isn't a race car but I can merge onto a highway without feeling like I'm going to get creamed.

Last GM I Will Own
By Sal on 01/29/06 20:13 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Premiere 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Oldsmobile Silhouette new in '01. It needed a new transmission in '04 at 37,000 miles. GM covered all of the costs. Then my van began having electrical problems in '05 which still are not completely resolved. Also, it has at least one recall every 18-24 months. My other vehicle is an Acura bought new in '01. It has only been in the shop for oil changes, with twice as many miles. Detroit still can't get it right. I was considering Cadillac, I must be crazy.

Class with Reliability!
By Tom on 11/19/05 22:31 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette is an excellent van for the money. It's loaded with features and very reliable. I purchased mine with 44,000 miles on it and now have 67,000 miles. I have owned it for 14 months with no problems. If snow is in your area I'd recommend the AWD version available in years 2002 - 2004. Our does not have AWD and that is the only option we wish we had. It gets respectable fuel mileage...23 miles per gallon overall with combined city/highway driving. We get 29 mpg if we burn a full tank on the Interstate averaging 70 mph. This van has respectable handling, power and reliability. I would recommend it over the Pontiac Montana.........the Silhoutte is a much classier vehicle on the inside and outside. Consider a Silhouette if you're looking for a good used family van.

A few problems, but overall good car
By Susan on 07/20/05 16:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette GL 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We had this car for nearly 4 years and just traded it in yesterday. Had a few problems along the way... A/C went out 20,00 miles after the expiration of the 60,000 mile warranty ($850 repair), intermittent problems with the power door not working, and for a while, the horn would sound when it was raining without being bumped or anything! They never figured out why but after some inkering with the electrical system by the deal service department, the problem seemed to have resolved. The front cupholder was rather flimsily designed and came out a few times (causing quite a mess!)

2001 Silhouette (Electrical Issues)
By P. Koester on 01/06/05 12:25 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Premiere 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Plenty of room for hauling kids, work stuff, etc. MAJOR ISSUE with electrical system. One little short in electrical system and you will have constant problems that pop up out of nowhere. Especially with so many features requiring that electrical system to stay up and running.

Transmission
By douguch on 08/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Transmission died at 35k! Replaced by GM dealer. Running good right now. $3500 later...

Like the van
By Douglas Schiff on 08/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette GL 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second Silhouette and both have been trouble free. Cruises at 75 on the freeway and is very quiet. Seats come out quite easily for lots of storage room.

Great minivan
By Jim Rebeta on 05/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Oldsmobile Silhouette we have owned. The first was a 1991 with 210,000+ miles on it. Over the ten years of use repairs were minor and I still had the original engine and transmission. The 2001 is as good; however we miss the composite dent-free body.

I love this van!
By kat7597 on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Premiere 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van just over 2.5 years ago. We have had no problems with it and are very satisfied. It handles well, is quite comfortable, and has all of the options we were looking for. We use the air compressor quite frequently - great for traveling. We took our 13 & 1 year old sons on vacation - nearly 4000 miles round trip. This van made it easy!