2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan Consumer Reviews

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silhouette model:

2001 Silhouette Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Worst vehicle I've ever owned.
By steelymommy

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan Premiere 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I hate this van! The seat heaters quit working,can live w/that, the speakers SUCK. Power door on the passenger side not only doesn't work but will not unlock w/the electronic locks or manually so it can't be opened at all. I've replaced Battery, thermostat, heater/AC blower motor, the resistor(that melted), water pump, belt, Intake Manifold gaskets(top &bottom), heater hose. The entire engine cooling system & heater/AC system cannot handle the pressure &original parts corrode quickly! It's fuel injected but have to give it gas to start it. And now it needs a new Harmonic Balancer-because they couldn't just bolt on the pulley for the belt, they used something rubber that corrodes too!

Favorite Features

The interior is nice to look at, it's a pretty color... uh... yup that's it!

Suggested Improvements

Use better quality hoses, gaskets, seals. I had 4 mechanic shops give me estimates and NONE of them will use original parts because they are not dependable.

never buy GM again
By countyworker

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan Premiere 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have over the past 10 years poured a lot of money into this van . While I like the leather seats and all the options being a premiere edition the intake and head gaskets went twice a transmission rebuild ones at 85000 miles heated seats repaired twice broke again had way to many over heating problems just to many things to list .If you like big repair bills by a GM mini van. The van spent more time being repaired than me driving it never get me again GM.

Favorite Features

Comfort room easy to get in and out of haul many people decent looking

Suggested Improvements

cooling system head gaskets weak transmission heated seats all these should have been recalled or upgraded

Love it
By PatC

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan GLS 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We now have 167,000 miles on our van and we have had no major problems with it. The AC needed work at 112,000 and the rear lights (including back up sensors) went bad at 125,000 but we bought parts at a junk yard and everything is still going great.

New Trans Every 3500?
By bluetwinkie

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan GL 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I didn't have this car at 3500 miles when others lost transmissions, but I have had it at 60k (lost again). Now I hear I need to fix it again (jarring gears). I included traction control problems last time. I did not run it hard (I drive like grandma on purpose) but it did not solve this $4000 later. It runs quiet and smooth sometimes, but I can't put off a transmission repair for complications failure would have - seen elsewhere. It was in the shop a long time despite being partially covered by a plan and monitored for that. They damaged some other features while fixing it at an approved GM dealership (i.e. driver seat warmer).

Favorite Features

I do love how smooth it runs when it runs and how quietly and quickly. The miles per gallon are decent when driven right (ave 21 city hilly 28 hwy or better). The features and sound are great. Like the leather.

Suggested Improvements

the transmission

If you own it sell it
By nobehappy

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan GLS 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Good looking with lots of features. But way too many mechanical problems. Heated seats went right after the warranty. The gasket problems cost a fortune to fix and occur over and over. The transmission gave out at 110k miles. Towed to Olds dealer. They quoted $3,400 for them to fix and another $625 for other problems they found on the diagnostics tests. It is going to the junk yard as it is not worth fixing. I really regret buying this thing...just shows how far they are behind in matching the higher- quality build of Honda's and Toyota's. It is no wonder GM has problems getting people to want to buy their vehicles and trust them after experiences like this.

Favorite Features

Six leather captain's chairs, good stereo controls, auto. sliding door, built-in air compressor, lots of room.

Suggested Improvements

Terrible build quality. Horrible engine problems. Atrocious transmission that can barely hit 100k miles before going bust. Just awful.

131,000 miles and replacing shocks
By ED DINWIDDIE

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan Premiere 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased it with 750 miles from dealers son. Have been very pleased. Lost one of driver side seat heaters and then two months later lost the other one. Very expensive. Hate the spare and where it is located, very hard to work with on a hot intrastate. Headlights are better than our 2000 but still need help.

Favorite Features

Handling is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Need to get three on second seat. do not like dark windows, cannot see as well from rear seats.

Everybody has the same Problems...
By Jeff

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan Premiere 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Get rid of your van prior to 65,000 miles. First the intake gasket broke, then the transmission, and then the head gasket. That's a big hit to take in one year.

Favorite Features

I like how it has had no problems inside with the exception of the heated seat. It cost $180 for the part and another $100 to install. My wife said she would rough it.

Suggested Improvements

GM stand behind your van. With all the engine and transmission problems they should have taken care of them. They have made changes to all of them so they knew something was wrong...

Excellent Value
By CCC Chicago

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan GLS 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This was our second Silhouette. Our first was a '94 and it served our family well. After seven years it began to have a some minor issues and we traded for the '01 GLS. It has served us without any major problems or issues for 5 1/2 years now. It only has 55,000 miles. I can't speak highly enough on the reliability of this vehicle. I tow jet skis with it. Pile kids into it. Haul cargo in it. Move easily through the snow in it. I'm one person who has loved my minivans over the past 13 years or so, but my next car will probably be some type of crossover. On the '01, I put on a new set of tires at about 45,000 miles and a new battery after 5 years. This has been an excellent family vehicle.

Favorite Features

The comfortable ride, roomy, strong and confident engine. It gets good gas mileage (maybe 20/28) and has good cargo space. I like the roof rack, quiet ride, radio controls in the steering wheel, and leather seats.

Great Van
By Traveling Dad

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan Premiere 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I do lots of driving to nearby states and lots of city driving. My Silhouette needed a minor transmission overhaul at 67,000 and an intake gasket at 74,000. I am on my third set of tires, but have needed no front suspension repairs. I will say that Michellin Hydra tires & now Goodyear Assurance, really make the ride comfortable and reassuring.

Favorite Features

I love the video system with wireless headphones. This van has tight steering. The fold down rear bench seat is great, as are the heated seats and dual climate control.

Suggested Improvements

Give it a stronger blower motor for the front area and an auto dim interior rear view mirror.

Not too Promising
By A6SILO

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan Premiere 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Since purchasing our 2001 Silhouette Premier in Jan. 06 we have encountered a leaking windshield, a broken driver's side heated seat, a broken driver's side power mirror, and the smell of anti-freeze leaking from the right side engine area. We love all the power options but are very disappointed at the level of quality from a top of the line vehicle.

Favorite Features

We like the entertainment system, the power sliding doors, the separate programmable power seats, and the OnStar system.