Used 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silhouette model:

Worst vehicle I've ever owned.
By steelymommy

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Premiere 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I hate this van! The seat heaters quit working,can live w/that, the speakers SUCK. Power door on the passenger side not only doesn't work but will not unlock w/the electronic locks or manually so it can't be opened at all. I've replaced Battery, thermostat, heater/AC blower motor, the resistor(that melted), water pump, belt, Intake Manifold gaskets(top &bottom), heater hose. The entire engine cooling system & heater/AC system cannot handle the pressure &original parts corrode quickly! It's fuel injected but have to give it gas to start it. And now it needs a new Harmonic Balancer-because they couldn't just bolt on the pulley for the belt, they used something rubber that corrodes too!

The interior is nice to look at, it's a pretty color... uh... yup that's it!

Use better quality hoses, gaskets, seals. I had 4 mechanic shops give me estimates and NONE of them will use original parts because they are not dependable.

never buy GM again
By countyworker

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Premiere 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have over the past 10 years poured a lot of money into this van . While I like the leather seats and all the options being a premiere edition the intake and head gaskets went twice a transmission rebuild ones at 85000 miles heated seats repaired twice broke again had way to many over heating problems just to many things to list .If you like big repair bills by a GM mini van. The van spent more time being repaired than me driving it never get me again GM.

Comfort room easy to get in and out of haul many people decent looking

cooling system head gaskets weak transmission heated seats all these should have been recalled or upgraded

Love it
By PatC

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We now have 167,000 miles on our van and we have had no major problems with it. The AC needed work at 112,000 and the rear lights (including back up sensors) went bad at 125,000 but we bought parts at a junk yard and everything is still going great.

New Trans Every 3500?
By bluetwinkie

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette GL 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I didn't have this car at 3500 miles when others lost transmissions, but I have had it at 60k (lost again). Now I hear I need to fix it again (jarring gears). I included traction control problems last time. I did not run it hard (I drive like grandma on purpose) but it did not solve this $4000 later. It runs quiet and smooth sometimes, but I can't put off a transmission repair for complications failure would have - seen elsewhere. It was in the shop a long time despite being partially covered by a plan and monitored for that. They damaged some other features while fixing it at an approved GM dealership (i.e. driver seat warmer).

I do love how smooth it runs when it runs and how quietly and quickly. The miles per gallon are decent when driven right (ave 21 city hilly 28 hwy or better). The features and sound are great. Like the leather.

the transmission

If you own it sell it
By nobehappy

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Good looking with lots of features. But way too many mechanical problems. Heated seats went right after the warranty. The gasket problems cost a fortune to fix and occur over and over. The transmission gave out at 110k miles. Towed to Olds dealer. They quoted $3,400 for them to fix and another $625 for other problems they found on the diagnostics tests. It is going to the junk yard as it is not worth fixing. I really regret buying this thing...just shows how far they are behind in matching the higher- quality build of Honda's and Toyota's. It is no wonder GM has problems getting people to want to buy their vehicles and trust them after experiences like this.

Six leather captain's chairs, good stereo controls, auto. sliding door, built-in air compressor, lots of room.

Terrible build quality. Horrible engine problems. Atrocious transmission that can barely hit 100k miles before going bust. Just awful.