1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silhouette model:
A Great Buy
By reade4fl on 05/14/09 20:47 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan GL 4dr Ext Minivan

I bought this mini-van new in Aug. 1999. I was very lucky to have a great salesperson who guided me to this vehicle. Instead of having a drivers side electrical seat, he mentioned he had a different Shilloute available. It was Great. Three passanger middle seat and three in back. Towing package, and rear audio and air, heat controls. My wife and I loved the space and the room for our family. Also towing pkg. included a self leveling rear shocks which were great, but, the best is that you can use the air compressor to fill up almost anything including your own tires if needed. Also our neighbor who is a Porshe salesman meentioned how all of his mechanics swore by the 3.4L engine of GM.

Served Us Well
By KentGA on 12/05/08 16:27 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

Now have 168,000 miles on it and needed to replace a front wheel bearing recently. Still original tranny, at least since 83000 miles when I bought it. Going to sell it soon before I begin to put more money in it. Really have not had to put much in it besides the well documented problem of a leaking oil/coolant gasket. Has been the best van I have had (Chrysler, Ford are the others).

Best Vehicle I've Owned
By Kelly on 07/03/08 07:39 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan GL 4dr Ext Minivan

It seems many owners haven't had as much luck as I have. My van has over 100,000 miles on it, and I bought it new. Only had one major repair- manifold leak at 50K -$900. Never stranded, had front brake pads replaced, regular oil changes, transmission system flush and MUST use BP gas or it will have injector problems where it runs rough, chugs and the engine light goes on. Since I have been using BP gas, haven't had an issue in 5 years. (Dealer told me I had to replace all the injectors at $1500! -- not true at all - just changed the gas after reading a newspaper article.) Still runs great, still on original battery. Best car I've owned in 30 years.

Buy something else
By DA on 01/30/08 10:22 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

I was against the purchase of this vehicle from the beginning as I was suspect of GM's ability to provide a quality product. My suspicions were accurate. This week I forked out $1,550 for a new head gasket. Two years ago, it needed an intake manifold gasket for $800. VHS system is broken, trim and molding parts falling off van. A/C will not work, keyless entry broken, rear wheel cylinder needed replacement, TCM sensor broken, it's just endless. GM should be embarrassed for the lack of build quality in this vehicle. I am still waiting for the recall notices. As for my Honda and Nissan purchases prior to buying this van, I never had any of these problems.

This car rots!
By Furious on 01/14/08 10:57 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

Bought the car. Was thrilled. Two weeks later the transmission failed - got replaced - then the alignment was never right - replaced tires every year; breaks too - tranny replaced three more times - two engines - alternator gone twice - electrical failed in year 4 - rail for driver sliding door broke year 5 - leather is so thin on seats, metal seat cushion supports showing year 7. With some cars you can say you got two cars for the price of one they're so good. With this stinking car we had to pay for two cars (repairs) but only got to take one - broken one - home. Right now it's in Baltimore MD - broken down - the trany went again - we live in N. Carolina. We're not fixing it again!

Very Little Hassle
By robamra on 04/08/06 06:13 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan GL 4dr Ext Minivan

I have had this vehicle now for seven years. I have had just regular wear problems with it. It has been to the shop only three times, and had no problems with motor or transmittion. A radio problem and and door problems, the were reasons. This is a great vehicle for the family.

Very Pleased
By Mike on 02/07/06 21:33 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan GL 4dr Ext Minivan

We bought our totally loaded Oldsmobile Silhouette GL new. It has everything a GLS has except leather. We've put 80,000 plus miles on it and we can't complain. It's been extremely reliable and economical. We've had to replace tires and the coil packs failed at around 60,000 miles. The intake gasket was replaced under warranty as a recall. Everything else has worked just fine. I changed the front brake pads myself at around 40,000 miles. The rears were done just recently. She's due for shocks and another set of tires, both of which are reasonable in my opinion. She's never left us stranded or even made as much as a hiccup while on the road. I've just done oil changes and regular maintenance for 80,000 miles and almost 7 years.

Not My Favorite
By Tekascooter on 01/21/06 21:04 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan GS 4dr Minivan

I bought my Oldsmobile Silhouette used with 81,000 miles on it. I did'nt like the fact that it didn't have rear air but I had a new baby on the way and needed a van. The low traction system went out and cost me $1,200 to fix and now the transmission is starting to fail. This is all at 94,000 miles. The seatbelts are not car seat friendly and there isn't enough leg room for adults in the back. I like the power door and the fact that the rear seats come out easily and they are light, but I am getting reaty to trade it in on an Expedition. I would not buy this van again.

Not Pleased
By kds on 01/02/06 09:58 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan GS 4dr Minivan

This piece of junk is the last GM product that will ever darken my driveway. I have 39,000 miles on my Oldsmobile Silhouette and just outside of the 3-year waranty period it dropped the transmission. After doing some research I found that this was a fairly common problem caused by a known defect in one of the solenoids in the transmission. GM provided no assistance and it cost me $3,500 to get repaired. Run don't walk from this thing.

Brake Trouble-Dealer won't help
By Raymond Colley on 09/06/05 12:32 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette Minivan GL 4dr Ext Minivan

I bought my Oldsmobile Silhouette in 2000 and had no problems until about 30,000 miles. The driver's side front rotor was scored because the brake pad was worn unevenly. Took it to my dealer and was told I was driving incorrectly. The right front was fine, only the left was worn. So I had the left rotor, pads, and caliper replaced. At about 55,000 miles it did it again. Took it to three dealers and they told me the same thing. I wish I knew what I was doing wrong! (LOL) After talking to several GM mechanics, I found this is not an unusual problem with this van. Everything else works fine-but every 25,000 miles I had to replace the brake pads-I can't afford a new rotor each time.