1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette 3.4L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Very Satisfied Owner

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette - Consumer Review

GLS Passenger Minivan (3.4L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Very Satisfied Owner
By Sir frederick on

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

I have driven my 1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette for over 93,000 miles with no problems other than an occasional one with the power door - mainly in cold weather. The only other minor annoyance was losing the center cap on the aluminum wheels. The van drove very smoothly and the engine had adequate power. I don't understand why some think it is underpowered. You don't buy a van for jackrabbit starts. I hauled seven adults and plenty of luggage and the power was adequate for the job. Our original tires lasted for 81,000 miles and were not totally worn out. The gas mileage averaged 23 to 25 MPG on long trips. It is an extremely comfortable vehicle to drive on long trips. If Olds hadn't quit, I would buy another.

Favorite Features

Comfort on long trips; combination of cassette and CD player with radio. Second row of seats are comfortable. Excellent reliability.

Suggested Improvements

The headlight units in front cracked and had to be replaced. The dealer blamed the Firestone service center for slamming the hood. What a bad design! Also, the power doors are gimmicks! Overall, it did what a van should do both in hauling people and goods at reasonable cost!