1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette Consumer Review: Been A good one - gonna miss h

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette - Consumer Review

GLS Passenger Minivan (3.4L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Been A good one - gonna miss her
By miledriver on

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

Bought new and always maintained. At 247,500 miles the headgasket blew. Such a shame. At 14 years old its just not worth fixing but everything about this van is in perfect condition. The paint is perfect. The leather looks brand new. Everything still works! Even the power sliding door. This van however was extremely well maintained and taken care. The only thing other than regular maintenance done was the headlamp assemblies were replaced because they turned cloudy and that only cost $35.00 per side and I changed them myself. Hate it but I guess we gonna crush it.

We really loved the power sliding door. I liked the big steering wheel with the button for the A/C and radio controls. I liked the room and how the seats could be removed. It was easy to get in and out of. Leather held up GREAT!!! I mean with almost 250,000 miles and NO TEARS OR RIPS. Gas mileage was ok for the size of the van. Liked it was a 98 and had side airbags. Although they were never used it makes you feel safe.

I have some suggestions however they quit making these vans. I would have liked to see the stow and go seating like the Chrysler and Dodge vans have now. I would have liked both doors to have been power and the rear lift gate also power. Im not sure if Silhouette offered heated seats. Mine didnt have them and I would have liked to have gotten them or had them. Heated steering wheel would have been great to but Olds no longer exists so my suggestions are in vain.
By daveee
on 10/03/14 19:07 PM (PDT)

I dont suppose you still have the olds van. They are worth neww or rebuilt heads or gasket. you could have gotten another 200K miles. Its not uncommon to get 400K out of those 3.4s. I have a 99 now with 205Ks after just replacing the heads. If you do the work yourself. If you dont have that van any more, do you know what happened to it? Every thing still works on mine too. There not hard to work on.