1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silhouette model:
OK minivan with poor reliability
By Jackincalifornia on 06/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GS 4dr Minivan

This minivan has broken down on the highway 3 times, costing over $7,000 in non-warranty repairs. Beware of short warrantee periods.

A Good Minivan
By NKP on 04/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

My experience was pretty good with this particular vehicle. I really didn't have any major problems, besides just changing the tires and other small things. It got us to many places in a nice and fun ride. So I really loved the Silhouette.

decent until 80K
By findlj on 03/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

Overall satisfied with the silhouette. Reliablity not as good as expected considering the price, however. We travelled a lot with it. Very comfortable. Interior had very nice features like rear individual radio controls capable of running two audio systems at once (using headphones with one). Problems were intake manifold gasket needed replacing at 60k. Many problems occurred at 80K and just kept coming. Many hardware rattles and wind noise became pretty bad. Traded for a Honda Oddessy.

Too many problems
By Evanob on 01/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

Bought the car because we wanted a large minivan that wasn't a Chrysler having had a bad experience with a 1991 Voyager. The Silouhette had serious electric door problems for first 3 years and the dealers had trouble solving this problem. Also had brake issues -- possibly normal wear, but had to turn rotors once then replace rotors. Recently have had engine problems including coolant leak and steering pump problems that have made the car undriveable. Just towed to dealer today 1/5/03.

2nd Olds Minivan
By belairdad on 11/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

This 98 Silhoutte is our family's second Olds minivan. Replaced a 93 model, which was an excellent vehicle. Family's 4th. Olds and all were rock solid expect for this model. Space in the 98 is great, second row captains chairs and third row seat (split reclining bench) are all very comfortable. Even Dad can sit in the third row in comfort. Vehicle has a serene ride and is very quiet on the highway. Wife likes the traction control for winter, and kids like the second row radio/cd/tape controls and rear climate controls.

davan
By tulamusa64 on 07/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GL 4dr Ext Minivan

This is a fun van to drive. The gas mileage is exceptional for its size. Lots of room!

Silhouette - convenient but trucky
By laurie on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

I owned a '98 Silhouette for three years (65,000 miles). The vehicle gave me no problems and was exceptionally convenient for me with my pre-schooler. We took out the middle-row captain's seats and had enough room for bikes, strollers, etc. Plus, kids can't kick the back of the driver seat from way back there. The high-profile made it rock a little in heavy winds, and it rocked like a pickup truck when I pulled out of my driveway and hit dips. On husband's insistence, moved on to an Intrigue sedan - more stylish and fun to drive, but I will be going back to a minivan with my next vehicle.

Silhouette - convenient but trucky
By Laurie on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

98 Oldsmobile Silouette
By cyberbro on 04/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

I was not disappoint in purchasing this used vehicle with just 22000 miles on it. At lease that is what I was told. So far the only problem that I have is the brakes sometimes squeak when coming to a stop.