Used 1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette - Consumer Reviews

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette

View reviews for a specific Silhouette model:

the good, bad, and ugly
By gg in AL

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

We bought the van and loved it until the camshaft broke @142k. Replaced with a used 2004 engine. Now at 155k many things are broke or not working; both reading lights are broken; power door doesn't close but pops back open 50% of the time in cold weather; check engine light has been on for a year; low coolant light flashes on/off but coolant is ok; driver's window stops 1/2 of the way up and must be manually adjusted to close; outside temp sensor is off by 20 degrees; headlights cloudy and full of water; I have recharged the A/C 6 times; GM has increased parts prices by 300% since bankrupt. When the next expensive repair comes along I will junk the van and buy a Toyota or Honda.

Favorite Features

leather captains seats, good gas mileage (22/28)

Suggested Improvements

Improve reliability of EVERYTHING.

Been A good one - gonna miss her
By miledriver

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

Bought new and always maintained. At 247,500 miles the headgasket blew. Such a shame. At 14 years old its just not worth fixing but everything about this van is in perfect condition. The paint is perfect. The leather looks brand new. Everything still works! Even the power sliding door. This van however was extremely well maintained and taken care. The only thing other than regular maintenance done was the headlamp assemblies were replaced because they turned cloudy and that only cost $35.00 per side and I changed them myself. Hate it but I guess we gonna crush it.

Favorite Features

We really loved the power sliding door. I liked the big steering wheel with the button for the A/C and radio controls. I liked the room and how the seats could be removed. It was easy to get in and out of. Leather held up GREAT!!! I mean with almost 250,000 miles and NO TEARS OR RIPS. Gas mileage was ok for the size of the van. Liked it was a 98 and had side airbags. Although they were never used it makes you feel safe.

Suggested Improvements

I have some suggestions however they quit making these vans. I would have liked to see the stow and go seating like the Chrysler and Dodge vans have now. I would have liked both doors to have been power and the rear lift gate also power. Im not sure if Silhouette offered heated seats. Mine didnt have them and I would have liked to have gotten them or had them. Heated steering wheel would have been great to but Olds no longer exists so my suggestions are in vain.

LOVE this van!
By daja

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

We purchased this van with 35k miles on it 8 years ago, and have since put 120k miles on it. Many trips have been made from Tennessee to Missouri over the years & we have had nothing but comfortable trips! We love the lumbar supports in both front seats for those long drives. Only one side door is power, but that hasn't been a problem. The kids just get in on the "power" side, & they're big enough now to open/close the manual side! I just love this van!!!

Favorite Features

Comfy seats, stereo system, smooth ride...

Suggested Improvements

Bulky/heavy 3rd row seats

Clearly the worst van on the market
By la

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

Ok - I love this van only because of senimentality. Thw big problem is the engine. What ever you do -do not get the oxygen sensor replaced!! I have done this twice and both times it led to engine trouble. first time 3 years ago it resulted in needing the head gaskets replaced. Then last week it was running fine except the service engine soon light had been on for a while, so i took it in and they replaced the same oxygen sensor. This time it resulted in needing a new engine. All mechanics will tell you the two are not related. hoever a friend had the same problem with her olds silhoutte last fall. Stay away from these vans if you can.Also lots of small things that go wrong with them.

Favorite Features

I would never get another one. if even only because of the small things like the power window has gone rut 3 times. The rubber around the doors won't stay on. It has to be reglued every 6 months or so. The back blowers have quit working on 3 of these vans that I know of through friends.

Suggested Improvements

The fog lights haven't worked in years. I had electrical problems about 5 years ago. The list could go on for days. ust do yourself a favor and stay away from Oldsmobile.

170k and still going
By Dan Jackson

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

Minimal problems with the Silhouette for the miles. I use Mobil 1 (engine) and flush the trans completely (including torque converter). Just replaced struts for the first time. Rear wheel brake cylinders making noise (seals probably need replaced) Power door is dead (expensive to fix) Power window motor replaced (cheap fix). A few lights on the radio out. Serpentine belt replaced. Driver seat cushion replaced. That's basically it. Highly recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Replacement parts are generally inexpensive, Great gas mileage (25mpg average), Handles well, No blind spots, Great acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Seats could be more comfortable for a 6 ft person. They hit you high between the shoulders. Headlights seem to collect moisture. Could be designed better.