1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silhouette model:
Been A good one - gonna miss her
By miledriver on 01/18/12 06:56 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

Bought new and always maintained. At 247,500 miles the headgasket blew. Such a shame. At 14 years old its just not worth fixing but everything about this van is in perfect condition. The paint is perfect. The leather looks brand new. Everything still works! Even the power sliding door. This van however was extremely well maintained and taken care. The only thing other than regular maintenance done was the headlamp assemblies were replaced because they turned cloudy and that only cost $35.00 per side and I changed them myself. Hate it but I guess we gonna crush it.

the good, bad, and ugly
By gg in AL on 01/29/10 21:19 PM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

We bought the van and loved it until the camshaft broke @142k. Replaced with a used 2004 engine. Now at 155k many things are broke or not working; both reading lights are broken; power door doesn't close but pops back open 50% of the time in cold weather; check engine light has been on for a year; low coolant light flashes on/off but coolant is ok; driver's window stops 1/2 of the way up and must be manually adjusted to close; outside temp sensor is off by 20 degrees; headlights cloudy and full of water; I have recharged the A/C 6 times; GM has increased parts prices by 300% since bankrupt. When the next expensive repair comes along I will junk the van and buy a Toyota or Honda.

Clearly the worst van on the market
By la on 01/04/10 09:10 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

Ok - I love this van only because of senimentality. Thw big problem is the engine. What ever you do -do not get the oxygen sensor replaced!! I have done this twice and both times it led to engine trouble. first time 3 years ago it resulted in needing the head gaskets replaced. Then last week it was running fine except the service engine soon light had been on for a while, so i took it in and they replaced the same oxygen sensor. This time it resulted in needing a new engine. All mechanics will tell you the two are not related. hoever a friend had the same problem with her olds silhoutte last fall. Stay away from these vans if you can.Also lots of small things that go wrong with them.

170k and still going
By Dan Jackson on 07/29/08 13:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

Minimal problems with the Silhouette for the miles. I use Mobil 1 (engine) and flush the trans completely (including torque converter). Just replaced struts for the first time. Rear wheel brake cylinders making noise (seals probably need replaced) Power door is dead (expensive to fix) Power window motor replaced (cheap fix). A few lights on the radio out. Serpentine belt replaced. Driver seat cushion replaced. That's basically it. Highly recommend this vehicle.

LOVE this van!
By daja on 06/30/08 08:43 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

We purchased this van with 35k miles on it 8 years ago, and have since put 120k miles on it. Many trips have been made from Tennessee to Missouri over the years & we have had nothing but comfortable trips! We love the lumbar supports in both front seats for those long drives. Only one side door is power, but that hasn't been a problem. The kids just get in on the "power" side, & they're big enough now to open/close the manual side! I just love this van!!!

Nice van, but what a piece of JUNK!!!
By Todd on 05/23/08 21:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GS 4dr Minivan

I loved everything about this van when I first bought it, but oh my god, what a nightmare! I had to trade it in the week that my extended warranty expired. I was scared to keep it without the warranty. Van had 30,000 when I got it and I put 60,000 more on it-in that time the warranty paid out nearly $9000 in covered repairs and not just on 1 or 2 major items. It was $1000 here, $700 there, etc. Van left us stranded on 2 out of town family vacations and gave us problems on several others. Don't buy one of these, even though the purchase price may seem like a really good deal!You will be sorry. Easily the worst vehicle I have ever owned, as far as reliability.

Well Worth the Money Spent
By Brandy on 03/01/08 09:25 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

This was purchased used with 115,000 miles. It's now at 195,000 miles. Only problems have been power sliding door resets frequently and sensor for door closed is malfunctioning, and most recently the a/c compressor "blowing out". The oil level sensor has been replaced but is still lit up after 4 yrs. Otherwise besides normal wear and tear, this has been a great van for my family. It rides smoothly on long hauls and the leather seats have really held up. 2 yrs ago we had only 2 kids, 3 dogs, and all our luggage and were comfortable to make a 1600 mile round trip from Texas to Missouri. Since it has been well maintained, I see this last many more 1000's of miles.

Served us well
By Bob M on 12/12/07 19:41 PM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

GM had a good thing going with this Silhouette platform/engine/drivetrain package. I hope our Uplander replacement proves as reliable. The reason we bought the Silhouette over the "default van" (Crysler Caravan) was transmission reliability. We were not disappointed. Over 200,000 miles and not one lick of tranny trouble from our GM. The biggest expence was for head gaskets at 140K. No probs since. In its prime we always got 22/26 mpg. I still get 19- 20mpg "around town". We live in the "rust belt" with salted winter time roads. I think this car would get to 225k or 250k miles if only the body would hold out as rust has popped through on both sides of the car in front of the rear tires.

260,000 Miles and Still Going
By Winklers TEAM car on 03/04/07 17:01 PM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

We bought this van used with 150,000 miles on it. We now have 260,000 miles on it and it is still going! We have had no major issues just normal wear and tear. It still gets 26+ mpg. It uses a little oil, but anything would at that point. The exterior has one spot of rust by the sliding door. The power door didn't work when we got it but then it decided to work one day? Bonus!

Very Satisfied Owner
By Sir frederick on 12/24/05 23:27 PM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan

I have driven my 1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette for over 93,000 miles with no problems other than an occasional one with the power door - mainly in cold weather. The only other minor annoyance was losing the center cap on the aluminum wheels. The van drove very smoothly and the engine had adequate power. I don't understand why some think it is underpowered. You don't buy a van for jackrabbit starts. I hauled seven adults and plenty of luggage and the power was adequate for the job. Our original tires lasted for 81,000 miles and were not totally worn out. The gas mileage averaged 23 to 25 MPG on long trips. It is an extremely comfortable vehicle to drive on long trips. If Olds hadn't quit, I would buy another.