1997 Oldsmobile Silhouette 3.4L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Regrets of almost ten years

1997 Oldsmobile Silhouette - Consumer Review

1997 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 3dr Ext Minivan

Regrets of almost ten years
By danbo on

1997 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 3dr Ext Minivan

I guess the tip-off to why I shouldn't have bought this stems back to the day I test drove it. The day I looked at buying it, fluid was leaking from the power steering unit. He really wanted to sell it, so he had that fixed and then I shelled out $14k for it. It performed with reasonable reliability over the first few years, though phantom noises from the engine and misfires were common. But a broken camshaft at 90k forced a $4500 engine rebuild, to be followed by a rebuilt transmission at 95k, followed by another engine overhaul at 123k - now at 141k the engine just seized. So, I would say, with certainty, though it's been a decent car overall, mechanically, this van is terrible.

Favorite Features

Extended length, power sliding door (when it chooses to work), fold-down (and removable) rear seats, seating for 7.

Suggested Improvements

Engine redesign - that transverse mounted 3.4l engine is notoriously bad - maybe it got better with newer models, but man what a hunk of junk. To have to rebuild engine and transmission before 100k miles for a lightly driven vehicle is a travesty.