1997 Oldsmobile Silhouette Consumer Review: Good, Reliable Van @ 140,000 M

1997 Oldsmobile Silhouette - Consumer Review

Good, Reliable Van @ 140,000 Miles
By j.roper on

1997 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 3dr Ext Minivan

I bought my 1997 Oldsmobile Silhouette from my parents when it was 2.5 years old with 54,000 miles. Now it has 140,000 miles and still looks great. The dark blue paint has held up exceptionally well even in the Texas sun. Unfortunately, this is not so with tan dash, which has turned a greenish hue. Also, the leather seats have not fared well, with a significant tear in the driver's seat. The reliability has been excellent, but rattles have increased with age and the rear power vent window motors went out around 120,000 miles. The air conditioning has been subpar since I had to replace the compressor. I also replaced the intake manifold gasket. Overall this is a nice vehicle. The actual in-town gas mileage that I have been getting, 15 mpg, is below this model's rating of 18, but the highway mileage is right on at 25 mpg. It does a nice job towing trailers and is great on cross-country trips.

I love the auto headlights, locks, leveling suspension, trip computer, power door, versatility, looks, reliability, maintainability, highway gas mileage, lack of transmission problems, and the fact that it doesn't burn any oil.

Higher quality interior bits, a 16" wheel option, maybe the departed Aurora's 4.0L V8 engine.