1998 Oldsmobile Regency Consumer Review: Inexpensive Reliability

1998 Oldsmobile Regency - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Inexpensive Reliability
By Nick on

1998 Oldsmobile Regency 4dr Sedan

Bought this Regency 4 months ago with 76K miles and have been commuting back and forth to college every day. This car has held up flawlessly. I've changed the oil and replaced a bad horn. The car drives like a Cadillac DeVille and gets almost twice the gas mileage. I average about 25 MPG with a high of 31 MPG. The engine has been great, but I'm going to be buying Intake Manifold (upper & lower) gaskets to replace as preventive maintenance. (The Series II 3.8 L engine loves to chew the OEM gaskets up). The styling is dated and Olds went right to the 92-95 Eighty-Eight Parts Bin. The interior is pure Ninety-Eight; you can't find these seats or memory feature in an Eighty-Eight or LSS.

Driver and Passenger's 8-way power leather seats. Driver's memory feature for seats & mirrors. Dimming outside driver's mirror & inside rear-view mirror with compass. Rear air suspension is great. 6-Speaker AM/FM/CD stereo surprised me; very good quality sound. (highs and lows, alike).

GM should have caught the intake manifold gasket problems on these engines. The transmission has started to shift harshly when the car is warmed up (I've heard it's the pressure control solenoid that's the culprit...) which is another common problem with almost any 1998 and up 3800-powered car.