Used 1998 Oldsmobile Regency Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Oldsmobile Regency - Consumer Reviews

1998 Oldsmobile Regency

Base 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (9 reviews )

Still Going Strong
By Charles

1998 Oldsmobile Regency 4dr Sedan

This car is like a 'tank' compared to most cars on the road today! Yet the roominess and comfort (front and rear seats) is so comfortable on long trips, and the trunk space is great. The paint job is original and looks like new, the leather interior is in great shape. Quite ride, very minimal road/air noise. My newer car is noisy as are several autos I've been in lately. Awesome Ride. Wish I had a newer version. Sorry Oldsmobile left us.

Can't improve on perfection. They did this one right!

Inexpensive Reliability
By Nick

1998 Oldsmobile Regency 4dr Sedan

Bought this Regency 4 months ago with 76K miles and have been commuting back and forth to college every day. This car has held up flawlessly. I've changed the oil and replaced a bad horn. The car drives like a Cadillac DeVille and gets almost twice the gas mileage. I average about 25 MPG with a high of 31 MPG. The engine has been great, but I'm going to be buying Intake Manifold (upper & lower) gaskets to replace as preventive maintenance. (The Series II 3.8 L engine loves to chew the OEM gaskets up). The styling is dated and Olds went right to the 92-95 Eighty-Eight Parts Bin. The interior is pure Ninety-Eight; you can't find these seats or memory feature in an Eighty-Eight or LSS.

Driver and Passenger's 8-way power leather seats. Driver's memory feature for seats & mirrors. Dimming outside driver's mirror & inside rear-view mirror with compass. Rear air suspension is great. 6-Speaker AM/FM/CD stereo surprised me; very good quality sound. (highs and lows, alike).

GM should have caught the intake manifold gasket problems on these engines. The transmission has started to shift harshly when the car is warmed up (I've heard it's the pressure control solenoid that's the culprit...) which is another common problem with almost any 1998 and up 3800-powered car.

Satisfied Mind
By Smerkle

1998 Oldsmobile Regency 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in April of 2006 to replace my 98 Chrysler Town & Country van which had been totaled. I needed a winter (front wheel drive) vehicle as my other vehicle is a 2WD Ranger which is no good in winter weather. This Olds was traded on a new Cadillac. It was a one owner vehicle with 55,300 miles on it and a new set of tires. Although not my fantasy car, I paid what I considered top $ for it @ $5,995. No problems with it until around 88K miles when I replaced the belt tensioner and belt. Also recent heater problems cost $138. Replaced tires @ 90,000. Normal tune up/transmission service. Its been very dependable and a gas sipper at 25MPG ave. I hope to keep it forever.

Dependable, fuel efficient, quiet, comfortable, roomy.

Stiffer suspension. It floats along but at every medium bump it will bounce you up/down.

Nice overall, but does have its issues
By Denton

1998 Oldsmobile Regency 4dr Sedan

Bought from a co-worker with 102,000 on it, it has 117,000 on it now. In addition to the expected belts, fluids, hoses, and tune-up that it needed when I bought it, the following problems have occurred: The intake manifold failed; the radiator developed a leak; the rear shocks failed; the transmission needed to be replaced (slipping and shuddering); the temp knob broke and fell off; one of the window switches snapped in half; the alternator pulley started squealing and needed replacement; and the driver's seat leather is tearing along the seams in two places (one on the seat portion and another tear on the seat back). I've put more into repairs than I paid for the car (I paid $3300 for it)

It's roomy, comfortable, performs fairly well, and gets good mileage. The climate control system works well. Overall, I like this car a lot. I think the problems I've had are unusual. Now that I've got all that work done, I'm hoping to keep it for a long time.

The body is holding up very well (even here in Michigan) except for along the bottoms of the doors on the inside. It looks like there's a seam there that catches and holds the water. I'm gonna' hit it with some Rustoleum and pitch before this winter in the hope that I can stop the rust.

Best Dinosaur
By Mid 50s owner

1998 Oldsmobile Regency 4dr Sedan

Bought this car to replace a 1998 Town/Country van that I totaled. I needed a "winter" vehicle since my Ranger doesn't handle snow well. This vehicle is a wonder. Luxury, dependability are tops. MPG can range 27-30 if driven moderately. Driven carelessly, the MPG falls to 25. That still beats many an "economy" vehicle. Only minor annoyance is the excessive wind noise at 45MPH or above. Bought at 55,300 miles and now 25 mos later at 87,400. I replaced the windshield wipers and changed oil regularly. That's it. The 3.8L V-6 is, as advertised, bullet proof. I planned to buy a Honda/Toyota as my last vehicle B4 retirement for reliability. I may not need to now.Best $6,000 car I bought.

Reliability, features, comfort, audio, reliability again.

I could without the excessive wind noise at medium to high speeds but it's a small price to pay for this bargain vehicle.