1998 Oldsmobile Regency - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (9 reviews )
Still Going Strong
By Charles on 06/08/10 12:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Regency 4dr Sedan

This car is like a 'tank' compared to most cars on the road today! Yet the roominess and comfort (front and rear seats) is so comfortable on long trips, and the trunk space is great. The paint job is original and looks like new, the leather interior is in great shape. Quite ride, very minimal road/air noise. My newer car is noisy as are several autos I've been in lately. Awesome Ride. Wish I had a newer version. Sorry Oldsmobile left us.

Inexpensive Reliability
By Nick on 03/13/10 19:44 PM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Regency 4dr Sedan

Bought this Regency 4 months ago with 76K miles and have been commuting back and forth to college every day. This car has held up flawlessly. I've changed the oil and replaced a bad horn. The car drives like a Cadillac DeVille and gets almost twice the gas mileage. I average about 25 MPG with a high of 31 MPG. The engine has been great, but I'm going to be buying Intake Manifold (upper & lower) gaskets to replace as preventive maintenance. (The Series II 3.8 L engine loves to chew the OEM gaskets up). The styling is dated and Olds went right to the 92-95 Eighty-Eight Parts Bin. The interior is pure Ninety-Eight; you can't find these seats or memory feature in an Eighty-Eight or LSS.

Satisfied Mind
By Smerkle on 02/07/09 16:51 PM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Regency 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in April of 2006 to replace my 98 Chrysler Town & Country van which had been totaled. I needed a winter (front wheel drive) vehicle as my other vehicle is a 2WD Ranger which is no good in winter weather. This Olds was traded on a new Cadillac. It was a one owner vehicle with 55,300 miles on it and a new set of tires. Although not my fantasy car, I paid what I considered top $ for it @ $5,995. No problems with it until around 88K miles when I replaced the belt tensioner and belt. Also recent heater problems cost $138. Replaced tires @ 90,000. Normal tune up/transmission service. Its been very dependable and a gas sipper at 25MPG ave. I hope to keep it forever.

Nice overall, but does have its issues
By Denton on 11/10/08 08:56 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Regency 4dr Sedan

Bought from a co-worker with 102,000 on it, it has 117,000 on it now. In addition to the expected belts, fluids, hoses, and tune-up that it needed when I bought it, the following problems have occurred: The intake manifold failed; the radiator developed a leak; the rear shocks failed; the transmission needed to be replaced (slipping and shuddering); the temp knob broke and fell off; one of the window switches snapped in half; the alternator pulley started squealing and needed replacement; and the driver's seat leather is tearing along the seams in two places (one on the seat portion and another tear on the seat back). I've put more into repairs than I paid for the car (I paid $3300 for it)

Best Dinosaur
By Mid 50s owner on 06/01/08 08:14 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Regency 4dr Sedan

Bought this car to replace a 1998 Town/Country van that I totaled. I needed a "winter" vehicle since my Ranger doesn't handle snow well. This vehicle is a wonder. Luxury, dependability are tops. MPG can range 27-30 if driven moderately. Driven carelessly, the MPG falls to 25. That still beats many an "economy" vehicle. Only minor annoyance is the excessive wind noise at 45MPH or above. Bought at 55,300 miles and now 25 mos later at 87,400. I replaced the windshield wipers and changed oil regularly. That's it. The 3.8L V-6 is, as advertised, bullet proof. I planned to buy a Honda/Toyota as my last vehicle B4 retirement for reliability. I may not need to now.Best $6,000 car I bought.

Very good car
By pasadena on 07/24/07 16:06 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Regency 4dr Sedan

Had this 9 years, inherited it at 8000 miles. Great car, only problems were using the GM alcohol based "red" coolant which dissolved plastic parts like the intake manifold, etc. Once I switched to the old "green" glycol based stuff the problems stopped. Great comfort, low gas mileage, better that a lot of compacts. Good stereo, leather seats, reliable. I want to buy another Olds, but they're gone.

My Beautiful Retirement Car
By Patricia Gavin on 02/23/06 20:01 PM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Regency 4dr Sedan

I can't say or give enough praise about the 1998 Olds Regency. The Olds stands equal and even surpasses many other luxury vehicles, but never received the recognition due. The fine, Estate Luxury features of the Regency truely speak for themselves. I will keep my Regency forever. Oldsmobile should never have removed this vehicle from production. The Regency is the Cadillac of Oldsmobile. The comfort, quietness and powerful speed of the Regency speak for themselves. I refused to purchase a Cadillac DeVille because of the Regency's smooth ride, and Estate quality, Its full-size capacity surpassed my expectations. The Regency will never go out of style and will remain unique in its own right.

Awful long measurements
By Ron Pine on 12/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Regency 4dr Sedan

Brought the car for long trips. Wanted the interior space and ride. Fantastic engine, one of the top 10 in the world. The car is at least 12 inches longer than it has to be. Bumbers stick out too far. Alternator bearings failed while under warantee

This ain't your father's Olds!
By Russ@SCE on 06/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Regency 4dr Sedan

This car is very reliable, gets outstanding highway milage ~29 mpg. Very comfortable.