Used 1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Regency Elite 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (10 reviews )

Pinch me...am I dreaming?
By cmaglaughlin

1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan Regency Elite 4dr Sedan

The guy needed money bad...the ad said,"excellent, $800"(no picture). Took a chance and a year later I'm stupified. How can a 173,000 mile car be the finest I've EVER driven(used to sell used cars, both import and domestic), let alone now owned! The thing still looks brand new. Bigger, better than a Lexus. 30 MPG hwy! NOT a rattle. Trans "like new"! Everything works! $30,000.00 new! Even had 4 Michelins on it! I've even grown to love the quirky boxey styling! One guy told me they are THE "hot", under the radar, bargain find in used cars. I've already said too much to drive up the prices on these beauties. I've owned Saabs, BMW's(630's), Caddies, and Peugeots. This beats them ALL. Pinch me!!!

Rattle free ride, great MPG, cavernous room and huge trunk, tons of options and gadgets that all work(even a CD and cassette player that you can even program the cassette!")

Maybe an option to tell me where I left my keys.

218,000 miles and still fantastic!
By sandy2nm

1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan Regency Elite 4dr Sedan

This car has been unbelievably reliable from day one. It had about 22,000 miles on it when we bought it. We had AC/heater problems for a few years only to find out that the hose was clamped too tight which made the hose collapse. Easy fix and has worked great since. The driver's seat now has a tear, but all the other seats are like new! I drive over 100 miles per day, and don't hesitate to use this as my daily driver and on long trips. The car cleans up very nicely and gets hand waxed twice a year. 30 mpg is typical, new cars just can't touch the gas mileage and the comfort of this car. The ride is equal to a Lincoln. All the extra comfort items are wonderful too.

The comfortable seats, radio and AC/heater controls on steering wheel, cup holders in compartment, change holder, very good original paint job (Champagne color), huge trunk with net, passenger temperature control, pockets on back of front seats.

Side mounted battery (we switched ours finally after the cables kept loosening over time, no problems now), ac/heat not as powerful a Ford products.

Last of the great US automobiles
By Joe

1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan Regency Elite 4dr Sedan

I'll NEVER sell this beauty. They don't make them as roomy and powerful anymore. Like floating on a cloud.

My Olds 98 has ALL the bells and whistles (except GPS).

No improvements necessary!

I'm looking for another, with low miles.
By steve

1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan Regency Elite 4dr Sedan

The Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight is GM at its best. It will run forever, I just flipped over 190,000 miles. I average 26 miles to the gallon in an area with many hills.

The steering wheel controls.

none

Excellent Car: Too Bad Olds Discontinued
By OldsOwner

1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan Regency Elite 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight is roomy, comfortable, and stylish. It is the last of the fabulous full-size cars from Oldsmobile in the mold of the classic American highway cruiser. And I netted 28 mph from the peppy V6 engine on my most recent long-distance trip. I'll never part with it. The body and interior have held up wonderfully. My car is still like new. I'll put money into it to keep it alive under the hood for as long as they make parts for it.

Loads of room and fabulously smooth ride.

Attention GM: Bring back Olds and the Olds 98!