1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Regency Elite 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (10 reviews )
Pinch me...am I dreaming?
By cmaglaughlin on 03/09/13 10:26 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan Regency Elite 4dr Sedan

The guy needed money bad...the ad said,"excellent, $800"(no picture). Took a chance and a year later I'm stupified. How can a 173,000 mile car be the finest I've EVER driven(used to sell used cars, both import and domestic), let alone now owned! The thing still looks brand new. Bigger, better than a Lexus. 30 MPG hwy! NOT a rattle. Trans "like new"! Everything works! $30,000.00 new! Even had 4 Michelins on it! I've even grown to love the quirky boxey styling! One guy told me they are THE "hot", under the radar, bargain find in used cars. I've already said too much to drive up the prices on these beauties. I've owned Saabs, BMW's(630's), Caddies, and Peugeots. This beats them ALL. Pinch me!!!

218,000 miles and still fantastic!
By sandy2nm on 04/10/10 15:39 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan Regency Elite 4dr Sedan

This car has been unbelievably reliable from day one. It had about 22,000 miles on it when we bought it. We had AC/heater problems for a few years only to find out that the hose was clamped too tight which made the hose collapse. Easy fix and has worked great since. The driver's seat now has a tear, but all the other seats are like new! I drive over 100 miles per day, and don't hesitate to use this as my daily driver and on long trips. The car cleans up very nicely and gets hand waxed twice a year. 30 mpg is typical, new cars just can't touch the gas mileage and the comfort of this car. The ride is equal to a Lincoln. All the extra comfort items are wonderful too.

Last of the great US automobiles
By Joe on 06/10/08 16:26 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan Regency Elite 4dr Sedan

I'll NEVER sell this beauty. They don't make them as roomy and powerful anymore. Like floating on a cloud.

I'm looking for another, with low miles.
By steve on 05/22/06 19:17 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan Regency Elite 4dr Sedan

The Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight is GM at its best. It will run forever, I just flipped over 190,000 miles. I average 26 miles to the gallon in an area with many hills.

Excellent Car: Too Bad Olds Discontinued
By OldsOwner on 10/05/05 22:23 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan Regency Elite 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight is roomy, comfortable, and stylish. It is the last of the fabulous full-size cars from Oldsmobile in the mold of the classic American highway cruiser. And I netted 28 mph from the peppy V6 engine on my most recent long-distance trip. I'll never part with it. The body and interior have held up wonderfully. My car is still like new. I'll put money into it to keep it alive under the hood for as long as they make parts for it.

Go for it
By Charli on 09/14/05 12:28 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan Regency Elite 4dr Sedan

I love my car. I understand initially there were quite a few quirks, but by the time I bought it, with 90,000 miles, they had all been worked out. I've had relatively few problems with the car, even with the high mileage. I love all the bells and whistles, and there are a lot on this car. A few leaks have cropped up lately and seem to be difficult for repairmen to find.

I love this ugly car
By Bill2691 on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan Regency Elite 4dr Sedan

What can you say about this car? Well how about the fact that the 3.8L engine seems to be the most reliable built by GM. The ride is superb and all the comforts are top line. The only downfall with car is the design. Visibly I believe it has added 30 years onto my age, seems only "older" people would be seen with this vehicle, but once inside you forget the appearance. Great car for long trips and around the city.

Love it to death
By mikeurbo on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan Regency Elite 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car used with 75000 miles on it for a bargain $5500. It drives a bit soft but the interior is comfortable and easy to use. Int/ ext. styling are classic olds. Great car for transporting your family through CT winters. Love the digital dash and all the functions it provides, even tells me if a light burns out! Series 2 3800 is a simple design but smooth and powerful as is transmission. 8-speaker cd sound system is great. My second 98 and sixth olds.

Beyond my expectation!
By NHTDN on 01/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan Regency Elite 4dr Sedan

Got it 1.5 years ago with 98K miles. Have not complained at all! Still runs with over 32 miles/highway. I measured it personally, the gauge shows 34+ MPH! (Seriously!) Cassette/Radio/CD from Bose+Sony. A/C from the North Pole. Trunk is a warehouse with an automatic trunk pull- down. Seats are all kingsize. Compared to other cars that I have driven and worked on, this is the best I drive overall (money, options, quality and reliability).

Your Father's Oldsmobile
By humansvcsgypsy on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Sedan Regency Elite 4dr Sedan

We've had two '95 versions of this car-- both lost to accidents where we were prtected like being in a tank. Loved these cars enough to go looking for '96 models; we now have two '96 Regency 98s. the 3800 Series II is an awesome engine coupled with smooth tranny. Even with over 75K, weroutinely get 29-30 MPH at turnpike speeds. GM was nuts to stop building these cruisers. Anyone with a bad back would love driving one!