Used 2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:

Most Helpful|
The Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By Steve R.

2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I leased a 1999 GL and when GM announced the phase out of the Intrigue in 2002 with the end of Olds, we had to buy one while we still could. We got the GLS fully loaded for about $25,000. After 8 years and closing in on 200,000 miles, (not a typo), it is the best car I have ever owned, hands down. Impressive pick up for a car of that size. The 3.5L V6 with regular maintenance is as durable as they come, and still purrs like a kitten. The optional "Precision Control System" gives the car great handling, especially around curves at higher speeds, and the ride comfort is very good for a sportier car. Still getting 24/28 mpg. A great car. Too bad GM couldn't sell more of them.

Favorite Features

Great handling with smooth and powerful acceleration. Good fuel economy given the size of the vehicle. Bose stereo gives great sound and you could fry an egg on the heated seats. Comfortable and roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Front windshield on passenger side leaks in heavy rain if parked on an incline. GM could never figure out why. Gas gauge stopped working after 125,000 miles. Costs about $600 to fix. Just set the trip odometer and fill up at 300 miles. GM should have made the car as a Buick after 2002. Too bad.

Horrible Car. Don't buy Used.
By jlsmith1215

2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Check engine, Service Vehicle, and Low Trac lights are on when start car up. Took car to a mechanic and he did a diagnosis check he says I need a new crank shaft senor. But turned around wasted $265.00 on the senor. Windshield wiper motor went out after a yr having it. 3 of the 4 windows work. Sometimes only 2 work. This Car SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!! Do Not Buy This Car Used.

A Nice Ride
By Brian J.

2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recently got a used Intrigue. It was in good condition with only 90,000 miles. It rides great and has good acceleration. Its fuel economy is average, I get about 330 miles to the tank. It is a good car to have. I have had no problems with it so far and the car had no history of problems. Bottom line: this is a good car to have.

Favorite Features

The good size engine and good leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Give it a 5-speed instead of a 4-speed transmission, more passenger leg room, and a better stereo.

Excellent Olds!
By K. Gilligan

2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a loaded up base model in a dealer end of year clearance. It is the best car I've ever had (and I usually buy Mazda, Honda or Toyota). It has the best engine ever. It's smooth, powerful, quiet and yet gets great gas mileage. This car's understated styling still gets curious onlookers. Its beefy Goodyear tires, ABS, a smooth transmission are all excellent. My only gripe is the standard GM penchant for ill fitting dashboard plastics. I have had no squeaks, rattles, or maintenance issues with my Intrigue. It has been completely reliable and has plenty of power. The suspension eats up bumps. The handling is tight, especially for a deceptively large sedan. This car easily outperforms every other car in its size/class for much less money. I wholeheartedly recommend it!

Favorite Features

The engine/transmission combination is smooth and powerful. The base sound system is wonderful-full range, not the overly bass-heavy usually associated with GM. The handling, both on twisty roads and long highways are excellent. The seats are wonderful also. I love the "wallet" compartment under the dash.

Suggested Improvements

The interior trim could fit together better. Too bad this car/line is out of production.

Amazing Vehicle
By paulie69

2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased an Intrigue in March with approx. 71K miles on it fully loaded including the heated seats, side mirrors, sunroof,leather interior and Bose sound system for $3000. When I purchased it the dash lights stayed on like a Christmas tree but after driving it I had to have it. It now has 80K miles on it and although the lights on the dash are still there it runs like a dream and is very dependable. Nobody seems to know why the lights stay on so it can be fixed but as long as it continues to give me good service I can't complain as it was a lot of car for the money I spent. To bad Oldsmobile is gone as American cars of this quality are so rare.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, sunroof, heated seats, great handling curvy roads and the strength of the engine. Overall the entire vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Apparently the dash light problem occurs often so it should have been addressed by a recall or before GM sold the vehicles.