2001 Olds Intrigue GLS.. Weathered with age
By magdalenaw on
2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)
With all the features I got for a decent price from the previous owner, I would say that value-wise, this car is great, but it's definitely starting to lose its steam. It's only got 144K miles on it, but it acts like it's got many more, even though it's got the original hardy engine that performs well. Maybe it's just because it's over ten years old and I never saw it in its heydey, or maybe I picked the wrong one, but I just can't seem to fall in love with this car. It is decent for the most part.
Favorite Features
For a 6-cylinder engine, I get decent gas mileage, at about 22-25 mpg with mixed driving. A bigger engine means more power; it came in handy getting out of a ditch. The car body isn't too wide or long, I lovvve the dual-tone interior and the power features. The hydraulic hood is nice, and the engine oil dipstick is right up front. Very roomy trunk, very spacious interior.
Suggested Improvements
Main concern is the transmission- I get a slightly harsh shift when I'm not accelerating too quickly or am driving in the city, caused by the pressure control solenoid- a problem highly common in these transmissions. The headlights are awkwardly narrow but long, and not very bright. The WEIRDEST thing about this car is that on the fuel gauge, it indicates that the gas cap is on the right of the car, but it's actually on the left! The interior could use another cup holder up front, and the A/C controls are more complex than they need to be. This car does NOT seem to be insulated well at ALL- heat does not stay inside, and music is clearly audible from 20 feet outside or more.