Used 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:

2001 Olds Intrigue GLS.. Weathered with age
By magdalenaw

2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

With all the features I got for a decent price from the previous owner, I would say that value-wise, this car is great, but it's definitely starting to lose its steam. It's only got 144K miles on it, but it acts like it's got many more, even though it's got the original hardy engine that performs well. Maybe it's just because it's over ten years old and I never saw it in its heydey, or maybe I picked the wrong one, but I just can't seem to fall in love with this car. It is decent for the most part.

For a 6-cylinder engine, I get decent gas mileage, at about 22-25 mpg with mixed driving. A bigger engine means more power; it came in handy getting out of a ditch. The car body isn't too wide or long, I lovvve the dual-tone interior and the power features. The hydraulic hood is nice, and the engine oil dipstick is right up front. Very roomy trunk, very spacious interior.

Main concern is the transmission- I get a slightly harsh shift when I'm not accelerating too quickly or am driving in the city, caused by the pressure control solenoid- a problem highly common in these transmissions. The headlights are awkwardly narrow but long, and not very bright. The WEIRDEST thing about this car is that on the fuel gauge, it indicates that the gas cap is on the right of the car, but it's actually on the left! The interior could use another cup holder up front, and the A/C controls are more complex than they need to be. This car does NOT seem to be insulated well at ALL- heat does not stay inside, and music is clearly audible from 20 feet outside or more.

A Comfortable Reliable Sedan
By Chris

2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 125k miles, now at 140k. Overall it is comfortable, handles well for a car its size and has good power. The interior materials have held up well (especially the cloth and carpet) and the paint still looks great. When I first got the car,I upgraded the wheels and put on new tires. So far, they have hardly worn at all. I had a stalling problem in the first couple of months that turned out to be the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Right now the "abs" and "trac off" lights are on b/c I broke a brittle wire while trying to secure a speed sensor. I will be putting in new pads and rotors soon, as the brakes have begun to pulsate, but this is just regular maintenance.

Cruising comfort, acceleration, stereo, cavernous trunk, easy DIY oil changes.

The plastic clips that hold wheel sensor are known to break and cause the wire to rub. Sensor is part of the wheel hub, requiring a replacement of the whole assembly. Will be doing this soon to restore the ABS and Trac Control. Should have kept making them, the Intrigue was one of the best W-bodies.

Troubled Car
By Unknown

2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my dont get me wrong.I've had it just over a year now and it's just now giving me problems.After looking up everything about the car,everyone seems to have the same issue.The car just wont start.I have no clue why and no one else seems to know either.If that issue was resolved it would be great.So if anyone knows please post it.Other than that I love the speed of the car,great get-up.

Radio,seat warmers,great speed

To have better motors for the power windows and to have a recall on the ones that won't start for some odd reason.

Worst Car Ever
By Annoyed Customer

2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is the worst car ever made! This is my first vehicle, and everything that could go wrong with a car has gone wrong with this one. I bought it and then 3 months later had to replace the engine. 3 months after that had to replace the struts, which by the way cost almost 300 each! Now all the lights are on, on the dash. The signals do not work anymore. And the car started randomly shutting off while you are driving! Most of the time you try to start it and it acts like it has a dead battery. And I have never seen rust problems like this before! This is the worst car ever, will never never never buy a intrigue ever again! Stay away from these cars!

Nothing I like on this car at all!

Rust, Engine, Lights, Signals, Computer, Lets just say mostly everything!

Better Equipped Than More Expensive Cars
By Linda Ann

2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Nobody can beat the heated 6-way power front seats, chrome wheels. This car was smart looking & very reliable.

Tape,cassette,leather, sunroof, power everything. Remote start, loaded.

Heated seat replaced 2months after purchase.