2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue 3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Good Car, Bad Quality

2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue - Consumer Review

GX Sedan (3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Good Car, Bad Quality
By unreliable2000 on

2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 4dr Sedan

Would have been an excellent car if reliability and build quality were better. I had it for 3 years and only put 24,000 miles on it. Here is what had to be replaced: rack and pinion steering, cv-joints, thermostat, horn, cd player, and alternator. Not normal for a 24,000 mile car. I also had probems with an erratic check engine light. The car was comfortable and rode well, and the performance was good. Performance would have been excellent if it had a 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual. Traction was also very poor in the snow. Interior was of modern Japanese design, but the plastics quality was 1970's American. I was going to keep the car after the lease was turned it in after all the trouble.

Favorite Features

Interior, exterior design. Good performance and strong passing power once RPM's were high enough. Good overdrive (only turned 2000 RPM @ 77 mph). Gas mileage was good for the type of engine (got up to 30 MPG on trips, but only 15 around town in the winter.)

Suggested Improvements

Quality and reliability. I would have kept the car, as it was in immaculate condition, but the impending repairs after the warranty was up drove me away. I traded it for a new loaded 5 speed Hyundai Elantra. Not the most exiting, but far superior quality than any American car.