My BLK 199 GLS
By meyeste on
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan
I have a 1999 Oldsmobile GLS, I can't say the car is without flaws, but at 171,000k miles it has been a good car. A good friend has been through two Camry's in the time I've had my Intrigue. It has held up well and still gets' 28 mpg's hwy and 22 city. The 3.5L engine is still strong, as long as I keep changing the oil I expect it to go 200k. I also love the front seats, they seem to be simply perfect, I have never been uncomfortable in them. It's still a sharp car after all these years, I don't regret buying it.
Favorite Features
The best part of the Intrigue is inarguably the 3.5L engine, GM would have done well to keep developing that engine (perhaps they did and I don't realize it). The interior, the seats, have all help up well, my car has been outside probably 50% of it's time with me, the effects of the sun on the interior cannot be seen. The traction-control on the car has definitely proven worthwhile; I once drove into a freak ice storm on what had been a 50 degree day, all of the sudden I was doing 70 mph+ on very slick roads, without the traction-control I would have been off the road.
Suggested Improvements
The Chrome plating on the wheels started bubbling and peeling off after a 5-6 years, causing the tires to deflate; definitely a source of cursing on my part. The '99's don't have the extending sunshades, which are basically useless at blocking sun from the side, this became a standard feature in 2000 I believe.