Used 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue - Consumer Reviews

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:

This Car Has Given Me Lots Of Problems
By mikey

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since a year ago and when I bought it for $2,000. I thought I was getting a steal. Until I drove it al ot and gave it a good test run. Since I've had it I've had too fix the power steering, the timing belt, crankshaft, and the starter. Now I am currently taking it into the shop to get it looked at because yesterday it just died as I was going down the road and when it happened I lost all of my acceleration and it slowly died in the parking lot, now when I try to start it it sound like the starter is spinning but it's just not catching. This car is great! But it also comes with its grief and you'll spend a good amount of money on it.

Favorite Features

E-brake on the floor board. Body style.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine

Don't Be Fooled
By Fandor

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have owned my iIntrigue since 2001. In 2003 had to have the motor replaced due to some annomoly that was known by GM about the balancer rod in the block. 2008 had to replace the engine again. 2 months after replacing engine, had to replace the transmission. Have had to replace every power window unit in the car and getting ready to replace another one. In cold weather the power fluctuates up and down causing the lights to dim. Heater fan does not work correctly. Power steering has failed, and that is no fun to replace. Two oxygen sensors. This car is the reason that foreign cars are selling so well in America.

Favorite Features

The leather seats (that broke in the first year).

Suggested Improvements

Buy a Honda or Toyota. They will at least last.

Wish I didn't have to say goodbye
By Erin

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

After 8 years with my Intrigue, I am sad to say goodbye to it, but must due to the increasing repairs I have to make to it. At 40,000 miles, I had sensor issues. At 60,000 miles, I had all hub bearings go out. Now at 130,000 miles I have had alternator, a/c and more sensor issues, a broken fuel gauge, engine mounts replaced, and now a coolant leak that will cost $1000 to fix simply because of the cost of parts for this car and the difficult accessibility to certain areas. I adore the horsepower and performance of the car, but just can't keep up with $4000/year in maintenance costs.

Favorite Features

Engine can compete with the best when running well.

Suggested Improvements

Parts are expensive and labor is intensive.

Should have gotten rid of Buick
By johnryan1077

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 99 Intrigue for 2 years and it only has 78,000 miles on it and it drives like new. I realize it is going to be 10 years old next year but it drives so well and its looks stood the test of time. I have the 3.5 liter engine and it cooks on the highway. I think GM made a mistake buy getting rid of Oldsmobile instead of Buick. How many ten year old Buicks do you see on the road compared to Alero's and Intrigues. Great vehicle!

Favorite Features

Leather and engine

Suggested Improvements

None really.

Five Years and Still Going Strong!
By Paul

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 5 years ago with 82,000 miles on it and I am still in love with it. I have only had one problem which was the drivers window motor and track broke. Probably because I eat so much fast food and use it way more that average. It is very spacious and comfortable except on long road trips the seats become bricks. It now has 142,000 miles on it and I have had to replace some of the suspension because of normal wear and tear. The engine and transmission have been perfect despite claims at the dealership that the tranny has a bad reputation just to sell me a warranty which I refused. It picks up speed very quickly and has 215 HP whith 3.5L which is much better than the 3.8L!

Favorite Features

The horsepower, it can really get up and go. Roomy, large trunk, sleek sporty design yet still a family car. Neat hidden small driverside compartment and hideaway center cup holder.

Suggested Improvements

Easier access to do a tune-up. Unless i just can't figure it out. Easier method to remove the internal oil filter. Be able to turn off the headlamps without the cars e-brake being on then having to start the car.