Used 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:
This Car Has Given Me Lots Of Problems
By mikey on 01/12/09 06:57 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since a year ago and when I bought it for $2,000. I thought I was getting a steal. Until I drove it al ot and gave it a good test run. Since I've had it I've had too fix the power steering, the timing belt, crankshaft, and the starter. Now I am currently taking it into the shop to get it looked at because yesterday it just died as I was going down the road and when it happened I lost all of my acceleration and it slowly died in the parking lot, now when I try to start it it sound like the starter is spinning but it's just not catching. This car is great! But it also comes with its grief and you'll spend a good amount of money on it.

Don't Be Fooled
By Fandor on 01/04/09 11:35 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have owned my iIntrigue since 2001. In 2003 had to have the motor replaced due to some annomoly that was known by GM about the balancer rod in the block. 2008 had to replace the engine again. 2 months after replacing engine, had to replace the transmission. Have had to replace every power window unit in the car and getting ready to replace another one. In cold weather the power fluctuates up and down causing the lights to dim. Heater fan does not work correctly. Power steering has failed, and that is no fun to replace. Two oxygen sensors. This car is the reason that foreign cars are selling so well in America.

Wish I didn't have to say goodbye
By Erin on 01/02/09 11:39 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

After 8 years with my Intrigue, I am sad to say goodbye to it, but must due to the increasing repairs I have to make to it. At 40,000 miles, I had sensor issues. At 60,000 miles, I had all hub bearings go out. Now at 130,000 miles I have had alternator, a/c and more sensor issues, a broken fuel gauge, engine mounts replaced, and now a coolant leak that will cost $1000 to fix simply because of the cost of parts for this car and the difficult accessibility to certain areas. I adore the horsepower and performance of the car, but just can't keep up with $4000/year in maintenance costs.

Should have gotten rid of Buick
By johnryan1077 on 11/21/08 11:02 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 99 Intrigue for 2 years and it only has 78,000 miles on it and it drives like new. I realize it is going to be 10 years old next year but it drives so well and its looks stood the test of time. I have the 3.5 liter engine and it cooks on the highway. I think GM made a mistake buy getting rid of Oldsmobile instead of Buick. How many ten year old Buicks do you see on the road compared to Alero's and Intrigues. Great vehicle!

Five Years and Still Going Strong!
By Paul on 11/19/08 20:02 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 5 years ago with 82,000 miles on it and I am still in love with it. I have only had one problem which was the drivers window motor and track broke. Probably because I eat so much fast food and use it way more that average. It is very spacious and comfortable except on long road trips the seats become bricks. It now has 142,000 miles on it and I have had to replace some of the suspension because of normal wear and tear. The engine and transmission have been perfect despite claims at the dealership that the tranny has a bad reputation just to sell me a warranty which I refused. It picks up speed very quickly and has 215 HP whith 3.5L which is much better than the 3.8L!

I miss my Intrigue.
By Jay on 10/04/08 12:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Best. Car. Ever. I had this car since 03 and it never failed on me. I got 200,000+ miles on this car and it would have been more had I not gotten into an accident. It would have been 10 years old next year and it was still running great. The interior is great and I was glad to drive a car that looked like a car, rather than some boxy car like the Prius or Malibu. Also, another reason why I like this car was because I was able to drive it through the mud (I live in a rural area) and there was nothing like going into town and driving next to a pathetic hummer that never touched dirt -- this is why the Intrigue rules!

Keep it for its size
By MixedEmotion on 09/28/08 15:42 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 2 yrs used, and it now has almost 160k miles on it. Before I go negative, this car is a hoot to drive! It sticks in the curves, and has big mirrors and reasonable acceleration. 80 mph is like standing still. Mine is on the 2nd engine and 2nd ABS module, the back window machines are busted, and some think it is more trouble than its worth. This time its a water leak from the intake cover. I think this year I will have put over $1500 into repairs (including that ABS and break overhaul, and what I expect from this leak). I may also need a mass air flow sensor. My mechanic loves to see it coming.

Intrigue 3.8 6 cylinder
By Blondie on 08/07/08 10:35 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Still driving her after 7 yrs, I bought her with 33,000 miles and she is still running after 137,000. I give her regular oil changes, & normal wear & tear, brakes, rotors, & struts. When she reached 120,000 after her tune up she started to need a little more work done. In the past year I've replaced the fuel filter, oil pan, battery, both (R)and(L) cv joints. Which I didn't need to replace. I had a clicking noise when I would turned (R) only, so after the 5 mechanic it ended up being my starter, the spring in the starter wasn't sitting right so every time I turned (R) it would hit the fly wheel. I just did my own brakes & rotors this time. So shes ready to go for another 100,000.

Love it and would buy another!
By Ann in Tenn. on 08/06/08 07:38 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This has absolutely been the best car I've ever owned! It now has 221,000 miles and still runs like a new one. With regular maintenance the 3.5 engine has never given a problem. The only problem was the fuel pump failed in the 2nd year but warranty covered it. Like other folks said, GM should have kept making these jewels. It's fun and sporty to drive for a family car. I've had the foreign made cars but I'm sticking to American made from now on!!!

Dependable Car
By cliftsnew on 07/08/08 16:04 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle July 2004, and it has been a great vehicle. I purchased the vehicle with 73,000 miles on it, and it now has over 170,000 miles on it. The only problems I have had were with the brakes, because of exposure to the elements. Besides this I have had no problems. I use Mobile 1 synthetic oil, so tried to maintain it. Word of advice when you need to replace oxygen sensor do so immediately otherwise you may have to pay in the long run. I did not change mine for almost a year and it made other problems arise, but not till now, so I think this has been a great vehicle. If you find one used purchase it as soon as possible.