1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:
My Oldsmobile Intrigue Experience
By Joe on 05/21/10 07:20 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GX 4dr Sedan

This car could well be the unsung hero of the Oldsmobile division. I received this car when my grandmother passed away, and so far, it is the best car I have driven. The car has the 3800 Series 2 (L36) engine, with the 4T65E transmission. The engine can be quiet, or aggressive sounding when wanted, the transmission can shift smoother than my dad's Lexus. I was hit at 25 mph by a truck, and the only thing damaged, was a cracked taillight and an inch scratch on the bumper. This car is the safest, most reliable car I have ever driven. Perfect for a teenager. It is a beautiful car. If I had the money, I would buy another one. Just follow the maintenance schedule, and this car will last 200K+ miles

Mostly great, with a couple issues
By El Manuel on 04/07/10 10:47 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I love this car, I've had it for 8 years and have only had minimum repairs required. One problem is that they seemed to make the power window assemblies poorly. The metal chord attached to a pulley and motor snaps in cold weather. I've replaced 5 in my car. another problem is the vinyl where the passenger airbag is seems to be coming apart. Other than that its a great car. Comfortable, pretty decent gas milage for a 6 cyl, handles very well. If they still made these I'd buy a brand new one.

Do not buy!
By George on 03/12/10 06:33 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The plastic trim under the doors holds water and the frame rusts. I probably knocked off ten pounds of rust this past week. I get about 15 mpg in the city and 19 maybe 20 mpg on highway. The crankshaft sensor went out after a month or two after I bought it. Friends who have the same car tell me they have to replace theirs about once a year. They cost around $60 so its not an expensive fix but it adds up year after year. The car just wasn't designed very well. Especially for rust. I can't even jack my car up to change a tire because the frame will bend and crack from all the rust. Do not buy. Spend a little more on a better car. Like a Honda. This car is a waste of money

My Favorite Car
By Rocketfxr on 07/23/09 14:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 1997 Olds Intrigue GL Basic with no bells and whistles back in 1999. It had been a former rental car with 23K miles, so it had been "well loved". I put over 120K on it myself. 3 years later I found another 1999 Intrigue GLS with low mileage, Leather interior, Bose Stereo, Power seats. I have put over 100K on this car. I had to replace the engine at and rebuild the transmission at 120K. It was worth the cost, the car is so nice to drive and it really moves! GM really messed up discontinueing this line.

Great Car
By Phyllis on 07/12/09 01:39 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

We brought this car in August of 2004 because of the price and the financing on it was in our price range. It has been one of the best cars we have ever owned. Very few problems and nothing major has gone wrong with it. It runs great and get great mileage. We are still driving it and still love it.

Can' never go wrong with the 3800!
By mboily on 05/11/09 20:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

6 Years and 70,000miles since I bought this 38,000miles used car. First off, I was a young sales rep when I got the car back then and the reason was because it was the only car I've tried under $12K that I felt very comfortable in. I'm 6'4" and no other car offer this type on leg and head room. I also wanted to another 3800 motor. I didn't have to any troubles with the car, the sterring colomn was the biggest issue I had when I got it at 40Kmiles, it was replace under warranty since then They have made a call back on that issue. I've just changed the rear suspension abd battery. I also had to change one interior fan motor ar 80Kmiles. I had 3 sets of brakes an rotors in total.

Ten and I still love her!
By Lyn on 04/13/09 18:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

She has almost 160,000 on her, a few little patches of rust, have had to replace 2 sensors, and have had a few problems..her interior is getting worn, right blinker stops working when ya slam the hood too hard.....but this little car can still go from 0 to 60 in seconds! Everyone laughs until they drive her. I love this car, it's been faithful, best I have ever owned...and still driving it 9 years later!

Old Dependable
By Tropycsman on 03/19/09 20:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used as a rental. I maintain it well. The mileage has been very punishing city driving 95% of the time. I average 16mpg city and 27mpg highway. Other than an issue with the brake proportioning valve, the car has been very dependable. It is my "beater" and keeps on ticking. The performance aspect has been very surprising. With the right tires the car handles well in the rain, snow, and, of course, dry conditions. Acceleration is good with lots of low end torque (3.8L V-6). Interior is comfortable and roomy but plain. This car is a keeper.

The Oldsmotrigue
By Mike on 03/10/09 11:12 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Well, it's official now, my car is 10 years Olds!! It has 128000miles on the odometer and the way it feels, it could take another 100000. I have the 3.8 version. I had a buick T-Type before with the same motor and I sold it with 145000miles on it. Since I have it I've had the regular maintenance and parts replace from wear and tear, nothing more. Since i'm young (early 30's) my generation is too familiar with keeping a vehicule or buying American for that matter, I always under pressure to change it for an Europeen model! But since this one is paid for and is running in good order I will keep it and perhaps get a BRAND NEW SPORTS CAR!! (pronouce like Bob Barker would) THE 2010 CHEVY CAMARO!

No regrets
By biglakemi68 on 01/22/09 15:56 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned three Cutlasses ('68, '71 and '80), an Alero, an Aurora and a LSS 88 and this has been my favorite Olds. Right now I have 175K on the original motor and tranny and can still pull 100+ mph speeds on closed track. Reliability has been excellent. Repairs have all been within reasonable parameters for a car of its age and mileage. She's starting to show her age cosmetically, but still rides like a dream and runs like a rocket. Love the control placement, cabin ergonomics and handling.