Used 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:

Update since my 6/20/06 post, "I miss the 3.5"
By oldskidd

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL 4dr Sedan

I recommended this 99 Intrigue GL 3.5L back in spring 2001 with 27k mi for $13,500 to my parents and they bought it.
It hit 100k in 2006 when i last posted and it currently has 137k.
They just replaced the A/C condenser so the A/C works now *thank gawd, it's hot this summer!
They've also replaced the exhaust system, suspension parts, and a few other minor things.
i borrowed the Intrigue recently when my car was in the shop and I have to say this car still feels solid.
My 2006 Saab has rattles in the door and which is disappointing for the Saab but impressive for the Intrigue because there isn't a single rattle in the cabin.

Still lovin the grunt of the 3.5L Twin Cam V6. The styling has aged well; the car does NOT look like it's 13 years old!

I know it's beating a dead horse but if GM had dropped Buick instead of Olds then the current day LaCrosse would be the Oldsmobile Intrigue!

If I could, I would buy another one!
By maani

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL 4dr Sedan

As a car for a first time driver, I would give this car a 5 out of 5. It was safe, easy to handle, hard to dent and not embarrassing to be seen driving. My parents purchased this car in 2007 with 69,501 miles for $5000. Standard maintenance was fairly cheap. The only expensive replacement part was the alternator in 2011 at 120,000 miles. Sadly, I no longer drive it due to accident that hit my front driver's side wheel and ruined the driver's side door. The driver
was going 45mph when they hit me and I walked away without a single scratch. I would totally buy another intrigue if I could!

Easy handling and steering, the quality of the interior, the v6 engine, the exterior popping out large dents (A God send when you live on a college campus!), and the ability to drive in all weather conditions. No need to worry about getting home from work in a level two snow storm!

Steering wheel vibrated a bit violently when traveling at speeds greater than 70mph, and the seal around the windows would freeze below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Waste of Money
By 5yearowner

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Intrigue in April of 2007 and it was the biggest mistake for me. Yes i was impressed because it had a different engine & a rebuilt tranny, but 8mths later the axle shaft broke inside the tranny and had to repair that for 2500k. Not long after i had to repair
the alternator, the computer system, rack & pinion & bushels, crank shaft sensor, radiator, fuel filter. The head light wiring had a short, so i had to replace that every six months. I also had to replace the ignition switch and a year later the same problem. It would not start for 15 minutes then it would. Finally it needed $2500 of repair. Tie rods, hubs, motor mount. After $5,000 into the car already i said no way.

I had a sun roof that would close automatically after you turned the engine off.

My BLK 199 GLS
By meyeste

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I have a 1999 Oldsmobile GLS, I can't say the car is without flaws, but at 171,000k miles it has been a good car. A good friend has been through two Camry's in the time I've had my Intrigue. It has held up well and still gets' 28
mpg's hwy and 22 city. The 3.5L engine is still strong, as long as I keep changing the oil I expect it to go 200k. I also love the front seats, they seem to be simply perfect, I have never been uncomfortable in them. It's still a sharp car after all these years, I don't regret buying it.

The best part of the Intrigue is inarguably the 3.5L engine, GM would have done well to keep developing that engine (perhaps they did and I don't realize it). The interior, the seats, have all help up well, my car has been outside probably 50% of it's time with me, the effects of the sun on the interior cannot be seen. The traction-control on the car has definitely proven worthwhile; I once drove into a freak ice storm on what had been a 50 degree day, all of the sudden I was doing 70 mph+ on very slick roads, without the traction-control I would have been off the road.

The Chrome plating on the wheels started bubbling and peeling off after a 5-6 years, causing the tires to deflate; definitely a source of cursing on my part. The '99's don't have the extending sunshades, which are basically useless at blocking sun from the side, this became a standard feature in 2000 I believe.

intrigue
By olds98

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 4dr Sedan

the oldsmobile intrigue is a good car. But it has its downs too. i like this car cause it looks good, it fits 6ft tall adults comfortable in every seat. when someone backed up on me and it was a big jeep and it didnt do anything to my car. and it has lots of power in it, for a big car it tops out at 130 mph. for my car i only had to replace the window motors, blinkers, flywheel, and a oil leak, and thats all. its also good on gas 30 to 35 mpg on highway.

its 200 hp. its great handling around turns. its comforting interior. its good on gas for a big v6

i only wish that they made a 2 door intrigue not a 2 door alero. and they should have made that window motor and thing around it out of metal instead of plastic.