1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:
Are you sure this is an Olds?
By xzmr on 11/25/13 21:56 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I am in love with this car. I have the Shortstar 3.5L and it goes fast. I love the way it sounds around 4,000RPM. I love the sound system. Its almost a perfect car. Build quality is eh. But that's what you get when you buy an American car. And the fuel economy isn't where I'd want it to be. I'm averaging 23MPG. 130,000 miles and still running perfect. It's so smooth and refined. It feels like a brand new car. The shifts are so seamless almost like its CVT. The handling is spot on, feels like a European car. But my favorite part, when you're doing about 50 and need to pass, in less than three seconds you're pushing 75. Just downshifts and goes like hell. Really a family car with muscle.

Olds intrigue is Fun to drive, comfortable.
By drdoug99 on 02/14/13 11:55 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I just bought the car used off a random guy off Craigslist for 1,000 bucks a couple months ago. It has issues of course, most minor, some major for a 14 year old car. Just put another 1,000 into it having the rear strut assemblies replaced, new exhaust system, tie rod, alignment, etc. This is all the major work that needed done. The rest is piddly stuff that any old car would need. So for 2,000 bucks I have a car that drives like a 10,000 car. It's got the 3.5L, with 160,000 miles on it. The engine and transmission shift smooth and quiet. The motor has plenty of passing power. Very impressed with the car overall.

I love this car!
By definingme on 01/07/13 18:44 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in July of 2012 with 123K miles on her. It's a huge upgrade from my previous cars. She's an old V6, so naturally there are repairs, but she runs beautifully! I love the sound of the engine, and the feel! She is so easy to drive in the Midwestern snow/ice because she's much heavier than my previous cars. Since buying her, I've put on another 10K miles, and I have no regrets! She's reliable, sporty, comfortable, and by far the favorite car I've owned thus far!

Waste of Money
By 5yearowner on 06/02/12 12:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Intrigue in April of 2007 and it was the biggest mistake for me. Yes i was impressed because it had a different engine & a rebuilt tranny, but 8mths later the axle shaft broke inside the tranny and had to repair that for 2500k. Not long after i had to repair the alternator, the computer system, rack & pinion & bushels, crank shaft sensor, radiator, fuel filter. The head light wiring had a short, so i had to replace that every six months. I also had to replace the ignition switch and a year later the same problem. It would not start for 15 minutes then it would. Finally it needed $2500 of repair. Tie rods, hubs, motor mount. After $5,000 into the car already i said no way.

My BLK 199 GLS
By meyeste on 04/03/12 09:11 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I have a 1999 Oldsmobile GLS, I can't say the car is without flaws, but at 171,000k miles it has been a good car. A good friend has been through two Camry's in the time I've had my Intrigue. It has held up well and still gets' 28 mpg's hwy and 22 city. The 3.5L engine is still strong, as long as I keep changing the oil I expect it to go 200k. I also love the front seats, they seem to be simply perfect, I have never been uncomfortable in them. It's still a sharp car after all these years, I don't regret buying it.

Mostly great, with a couple issues
By El Manuel on 04/07/10 10:47 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I love this car, I've had it for 8 years and have only had minimum repairs required. One problem is that they seemed to make the power window assemblies poorly. The metal chord attached to a pulley and motor snaps in cold weather. I've replaced 5 in my car. another problem is the vinyl where the passenger airbag is seems to be coming apart. Other than that its a great car. Comfortable, pretty decent gas milage for a 6 cyl, handles very well. If they still made these I'd buy a brand new one.

My Favorite Car
By Rocketfxr on 07/23/09 14:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 1997 Olds Intrigue GL Basic with no bells and whistles back in 1999. It had been a former rental car with 23K miles, so it had been "well loved". I put over 120K on it myself. 3 years later I found another 1999 Intrigue GLS with low mileage, Leather interior, Bose Stereo, Power seats. I have put over 100K on this car. I had to replace the engine at and rebuild the transmission at 120K. It was worth the cost, the car is so nice to drive and it really moves! GM really messed up discontinueing this line.

No regrets
By biglakemi68 on 01/22/09 15:56 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned three Cutlasses ('68, '71 and '80), an Alero, an Aurora and a LSS 88 and this has been my favorite Olds. Right now I have 175K on the original motor and tranny and can still pull 100+ mph speeds on closed track. Reliability has been excellent. Repairs have all been within reasonable parameters for a car of its age and mileage. She's starting to show her age cosmetically, but still rides like a dream and runs like a rocket. Love the control placement, cabin ergonomics and handling.

Should have gotten rid of Buick
By johnryan1077 on 11/21/08 11:02 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 99 Intrigue for 2 years and it only has 78,000 miles on it and it drives like new. I realize it is going to be 10 years old next year but it drives so well and its looks stood the test of time. I have the 3.5 liter engine and it cooks on the highway. I think GM made a mistake buy getting rid of Oldsmobile instead of Buick. How many ten year old Buicks do you see on the road compared to Alero's and Intrigues. Great vehicle!

Keep it for its size
By MixedEmotion on 09/28/08 15:42 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 2 yrs used, and it now has almost 160k miles on it. Before I go negative, this car is a hoot to drive! It sticks in the curves, and has big mirrors and reasonable acceleration. 80 mph is like standing still. Mine is on the 2nd engine and 2nd ABS module, the back window machines are busted, and some think it is more trouble than its worth. This time its a water leak from the intake cover. I think this year I will have put over $1500 into repairs (including that ABS and break overhaul, and what I expect from this leak). I may also need a mass air flow sensor. My mechanic loves to see it coming.