Used 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:

Are you sure this is an Olds?
By xzmr

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I am in love with this car. I have the Shortstar 3.5L and it goes fast. I love the way it sounds around 4,000RPM. I love the sound system. Its almost a perfect car. Build quality is eh. But that's what you get when you buy an American car. And the fuel economy isn't where I'd want it to be. I'm averaging 23MPG. 130,000 miles and still running perfect. It's so smooth and refined. It feels like a brand new car. The shifts are so seamless almost like its CVT. The handling is spot on, feels like a European car. But my favorite part, when you're doing about 50 and need to pass, in less than three seconds you're pushing 75. Just downshifts and goes like hell. Really a family car with muscle.

Favorite Features

Power, sound, sound system, handling, comfort, smoothness, and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality. Bring back Olds with a modern Intrigue, GM! The new Regal and Malibu aren't cutting it.

Olds intrigue is Fun to drive, comfortable.
By drdoug99

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I just bought the car used off a random guy off Craigslist for 1,000 bucks a couple months ago. It has issues of course, most minor, some major for a 14 year old car. Just put another 1,000 into it having the rear strut assemblies replaced, new exhaust system, tie rod, alignment, etc. This is all the major work that needed done. The rest is piddly stuff that any old car would need. So for 2,000 bucks I have a car that drives like a 10,000 car. It's got the 3.5L, with 160,000 miles on it. The engine and transmission shift smooth and quiet. The motor has plenty of passing power. Very impressed with the car overall.

Favorite Features

This is the GLS model I was lucky enough to find, so it's got the leather power seats which are cool, never had that before. Compass on rear view mirror. Huge trunk size. Was not expecting this huge of a trunk on this car. The car looks like a larger size full sedan, but handles great, steering is tight, I have no problem with getting into or out of parking spaces. Plenty of rear seat room to fit 2 to 3 adults comfortably. (Real adults over 200 lbs.)

Suggested Improvements

I could think of improvements, but since Oldsmobile is no more, not like it's going to do any good anyway to list them. Any improvements, like obviously the CD player will have to be changed out to a MP3 player model for the 21st century LOL...I'll have to do myself.

I love this car!
By definingme

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in July of 2012 with 123K miles on her. It's a huge upgrade from my previous cars. She's an old V6, so naturally there are repairs, but she runs beautifully! I love the sound of the engine, and the feel! She is so easy to drive in the Midwestern snow/ice because she's much heavier than my previous cars. Since buying her, I've put on another 10K miles, and I have no regrets! She's reliable, sporty, comfortable, and by far the favorite car I've owned thus far!

Favorite Features

I love the weight! She gets around perfectly in Midwestern snow/ice/winds. I like the steering wheel stereo controls. I never thought I'd bother using them... until I had them. Leather seats are always nice, no more problems with spilt coffee. The sunroof, wow! I didn't use my air conditioner once after buying her, I didn't need to!

Suggested Improvements

My biggest issue with this car is some of the smaller details. The windshield wipers don't always like to behave, the driver's side wiper fluid doesn't squirt at all sometimes. The window motors quit pretty fast. Also, the HAVOC vent door for the heater is broken, which is quite popular in Intrigues from what I've read.

Waste of Money
By 5yearowner

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Intrigue in April of 2007 and it was the biggest mistake for me. Yes i was impressed because it had a different engine & a rebuilt tranny, but 8mths later the axle shaft broke inside the tranny and had to repair that for 2500k. Not long after i had to repair the alternator, the computer system, rack & pinion & bushels, crank shaft sensor, radiator, fuel filter. The head light wiring had a short, so i had to replace that every six months. I also had to replace the ignition switch and a year later the same problem. It would not start for 15 minutes then it would. Finally it needed $2500 of repair. Tie rods, hubs, motor mount. After $5,000 into the car already i said no way.

Favorite Features

I had a sun roof that would close automatically after you turned the engine off.

My BLK 199 GLS
By meyeste

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I have a 1999 Oldsmobile GLS, I can't say the car is without flaws, but at 171,000k miles it has been a good car. A good friend has been through two Camry's in the time I've had my Intrigue. It has held up well and still gets' 28 mpg's hwy and 22 city. The 3.5L engine is still strong, as long as I keep changing the oil I expect it to go 200k. I also love the front seats, they seem to be simply perfect, I have never been uncomfortable in them. It's still a sharp car after all these years, I don't regret buying it.

Favorite Features

The best part of the Intrigue is inarguably the 3.5L engine, GM would have done well to keep developing that engine (perhaps they did and I don't realize it). The interior, the seats, have all help up well, my car has been outside probably 50% of it's time with me, the effects of the sun on the interior cannot be seen. The traction-control on the car has definitely proven worthwhile; I once drove into a freak ice storm on what had been a 50 degree day, all of the sudden I was doing 70 mph+ on very slick roads, without the traction-control I would have been off the road.

Suggested Improvements

The Chrome plating on the wheels started bubbling and peeling off after a 5-6 years, causing the tires to deflate; definitely a source of cursing on my part. The '99's don't have the extending sunshades, which are basically useless at blocking sun from the side, this became a standard feature in 2000 I believe.