Used 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue - Consumer Reviews

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:

Discontinued & Even A Better Deal !!!
By Kevin B.

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL 4dr Sedan

Yeah, the Olds line was terminated, but under the skin, it is 99% the same as the GM W-Platform line-up, which included the GrandPrix (Pontiac was also terminated) & Buick Century. Buick is going no where, it is here to stay, and much of the mechanicals are also shared with Chevy cars. I bought it cheap, $3,600, 8-9 years ago, knowing it sat (only had 36K miles on it) and needed new rotors, pads and some front end parts. These all use the Buick/GM 3.8 L L36 OHV V6 & 4T65-E 4-speed AOD, which are about bulletproof! In fact, the Buick 3.8 L, or 3800 Series II, is the lowest warranty claim engine GM ever sold. Virtually without modification, that block can be turbo-charged, for a reliable 500+hp. Mine is a basic model, but it is very comfortable, spacious - GOOD transportation. There aren't a LOT of them out there, and many people have asked me what it was. Personally, I think the styling of my Intrigue body is elegant, well proportioned and muscular, with bulging fenders. It was the only W-body car to get the 12" performance brakes. With good tires (Bridgestone & my FIRST General's, Altimax HP, which are surprisingly good - Thank you TireRack!), the car surprises people with it's very decent handling that would make grandma puke. Parts? Mechanical parts will NEVER be a problem, because they are GM parts bin parts, AND, I've gotten any parts I've needed, including grey interior trim parts, window switches, etc., on Ebay, and they were cheap. Just replaced the CPM, which I bought online, delivered for under $20! I usually get rid of cars every 8 years or so, but I'm thinking about switching from the 11" brakes to the 12" brakes, the parts look pretty cheap. I think the dual bar front tower brace (originally for the GrandPrix) will fit and look inexpensive, si I'm thinking about putting in that front tower brace. My wheels need refinishing (ruined at PepBoys when some numb-nuts sprayed brake cleaner on the clearcoat finish), and keeping it. Took out the sound attenuator from the air-box, I'm going to get a K&N filter, and eventually, I'm going to have a larger diameter exhaust bent up and a more free flowing muffler installed. The 4T65-E AOD is ar reliable as you can find too, so, this has been and should continue to be a CHEAP, RELIABLE, GOOD LOOKING, DECENT HANDLING car, and the intake and exhaust mods are not expensive, and should boost pep and mileage. It's no M%, like a friend of mine bought, but he spends $1-2K EVERY time he takes it to his dealer. I can fix most things in my driveway. Told I need new brakes, probably $400+ for all 4 wheels, but I bought a kit with good rotors and ceramic composite pads, AND a tool to compress the caliper pads easier, delivered for just under $250. I know I can swap them in just under 2 hours. Like I said, GOOD & CHEAP transportation that does not look like 98% of the cars out there!

Keep in mind
By Amy

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL 4dr Sedan

Discontinued Parts!! Its is a car that was made from 1998-2002 thats 4 years. If internal parts need replaced, its gonna cost a lot and you need 2 of almost everything e.g. : Timing chain guide's. You wont be able to get those from the Dealership as they are discontinued parts. Thats not a bad thing, it just means there isnt a great demand for those parts so they stopped manufacturing them for the Dealership. Keep in Mind in those rare instances that you do need to replace them, you'll only find them in a kit, you'll need 2 kits ( 1 for each side of the 3.5 L. DOHC V6)
Once its fixed I'm sure it will be a great car.

So far Great reliable car for 7 years
By Eva S

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL 4dr Sedan

I bought at auction. Had it for 7 years now. Great car as long as you keep it maintained. Very spacious. Traveled alot with it. Good gas mileage. Got way over over my moneys worth.

Are you sure this is an Olds?
By xzmr

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I am in love with this car. I have the Shortstar 3.5L and it goes fast. I love the way it sounds around 4,000RPM. I love the sound system. Its almost a perfect car. Build quality is eh. But that's what you get when you buy an American car. And the fuel economy isn't where I'd want it to be. I'm averaging 23MPG. 130,000 miles and still running perfect. It's so smooth and refined. It feels like a brand new car. The shifts are so seamless almost like its CVT. The handling is spot on, feels like a European car. But my favorite part, when you're doing about 50 and need to pass, in less than three seconds you're pushing 75. Just downshifts and goes like hell. Really a family car with muscle.

Power, sound, sound system, handling, comfort, smoothness, and reliability.

Build quality. Bring back Olds with a modern Intrigue, GM! The new Regal and Malibu aren't cutting it.

Olds intrigue is Fun to drive, comfortable.
By drdoug99

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I just bought the car used off a random guy off Craigslist for 1,000 bucks a couple months ago.

It has issues of course, most minor, some major for a 14 year old car.

Just put another 1,000 into it having the rear strut assemblies replaced, new exhaust system, tie rod, alignment, etc. This is all the major work that needed done. The rest is piddly stuff that any old car would need.

So for 2,000 bucks I have a car that drives like a 10,000 car. It's got the 3.5L, with 160,000 miles on it. The engine and transmission shift smooth and quiet. The motor has plenty of passing power. Very impressed with the car overall.

This is the GLS model I was lucky enough to find, so it's got the leather power seats which are cool, never had that before. Compass on rear view mirror. Huge trunk size. Was not expecting this huge of a trunk on this car. The car looks like a larger size full sedan, but handles great, steering is tight, I have no problem with getting into or out of parking spaces. Plenty of rear seat room to fit 2 to 3 adults comfortably. (Real adults over 200 lbs.)

I could think of improvements, but since Oldsmobile is no more, not like it's going to do any good anyway to list them. Any improvements, like obviously the CD player will have to be changed out to a MP3 player model for the 21st century LOL...I'll have to do myself.