1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:
Are you sure this is an Olds?
By xzmr on 11/25/13 21:56 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I am in love with this car. I have the Shortstar 3.5L and it goes fast. I love the way it sounds around 4,000RPM. I love the sound system. Its almost a perfect car. Build quality is eh. But that's what you get when you buy an American car. And the fuel economy isn't where I'd want it to be. I'm averaging 23MPG. 130,000 miles and still running perfect. It's so smooth and refined. It feels like a brand new car. The shifts are so seamless almost like its CVT. The handling is spot on, feels like a European car. But my favorite part, when you're doing about 50 and need to pass, in less than three seconds you're pushing 75. Just downshifts and goes like hell. Really a family car with muscle.

Olds intrigue is Fun to drive, comfortable.
By drdoug99 on 02/14/13 11:55 AM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I just bought the car used off a random guy off Craigslist for 1,000 bucks a couple months ago. It has issues of course, most minor, some major for a 14 year old car. Just put another 1,000 into it having the rear strut assemblies replaced, new exhaust system, tie rod, alignment, etc. This is all the major work that needed done. The rest is piddly stuff that any old car would need. So for 2,000 bucks I have a car that drives like a 10,000 car. It's got the 3.5L, with 160,000 miles on it. The engine and transmission shift smooth and quiet. The motor has plenty of passing power. Very impressed with the car overall.

I love this car!
By definingme on 01/07/13 18:44 PM (PST)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in July of 2012 with 123K miles on her. It's a huge upgrade from my previous cars. She's an old V6, so naturally there are repairs, but she runs beautifully! I love the sound of the engine, and the feel! She is so easy to drive in the Midwestern snow/ice because she's much heavier than my previous cars. Since buying her, I've put on another 10K miles, and I have no regrets! She's reliable, sporty, comfortable, and by far the favorite car I've owned thus far!

Update since my 6/20/06 post, "I miss the 3.5"
By oldskidd on 07/18/12 23:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL 4dr Sedan

I recommended this 99 Intrigue GL 3.5L back in spring 2001 with 27k mi for $13,500 to my parents and they bought it. It hit 100k in 2006 when i last posted and it currently has 137k. They just replaced the A/C condenser so the A/C works now *thank gawd, it's hot this summer! They've also replaced the exhaust system, suspension parts, and a few other minor things. i borrowed the Intrigue recently when my car was in the shop and I have to say this car still feels solid. My 2006 Saab has rattles in the door and which is disappointing for the Saab but impressive for the Intrigue because there isn't a single rattle in the cabin.

If I could, I would buy another one!
By maani on 06/08/12 20:55 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL 4dr Sedan

As a car for a first time driver, I would give this car a 5 out of 5. It was safe, easy to handle, hard to dent and not embarrassing to be seen driving. My parents purchased this car in 2007 with 69,501 miles for $5000. Standard maintenance was fairly cheap. The only expensive replacement part was the alternator in 2011 at 120,000 miles. Sadly, I no longer drive it due to accident that hit my front driver's side wheel and ruined the driver's side door. The driver was going 45mph when they hit me and I walked away without a single scratch. I would totally buy another intrigue if I could!

Waste of Money
By 5yearowner on 06/02/12 12:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Intrigue in April of 2007 and it was the biggest mistake for me. Yes i was impressed because it had a different engine & a rebuilt tranny, but 8mths later the axle shaft broke inside the tranny and had to repair that for 2500k. Not long after i had to repair the alternator, the computer system, rack & pinion & bushels, crank shaft sensor, radiator, fuel filter. The head light wiring had a short, so i had to replace that every six months. I also had to replace the ignition switch and a year later the same problem. It would not start for 15 minutes then it would. Finally it needed $2500 of repair. Tie rods, hubs, motor mount. After $5,000 into the car already i said no way.

My BLK 199 GLS
By meyeste on 04/03/12 09:11 AM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I have a 1999 Oldsmobile GLS, I can't say the car is without flaws, but at 171,000k miles it has been a good car. A good friend has been through two Camry's in the time I've had my Intrigue. It has held up well and still gets' 28 mpg's hwy and 22 city. The 3.5L engine is still strong, as long as I keep changing the oil I expect it to go 200k. I also love the front seats, they seem to be simply perfect, I have never been uncomfortable in them. It's still a sharp car after all these years, I don't regret buying it.

intrigue
By olds98 on 07/23/11 17:32 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 4dr Sedan

the oldsmobile intrigue is a good car. But it has its downs too. i like this car cause it looks good, it fits 6ft tall adults comfortable in every seat. when someone backed up on me and it was a big jeep and it didnt do anything to my car. and it has lots of power in it, for a big car it tops out at 130 mph. for my car i only had to replace the window motors, blinkers, flywheel, and a oil leak, and thats all. its also good on gas 30 to 35 mpg on highway.

OldmoJOKE
By idiots on 03/23/11 19:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL 4dr Sedan

Whoever came up with the vehicle assembly on this car should be punched square in the pants. No matter what you need to get to on the car, there's something in the way. I have to fix something in it at least every two weeks. The struts have gone out twice since i got it 3 years ago. All in all, I would suggest staying as far away as possible.

Best Ever
By Bill215 on 06/07/10 23:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this former rental with 29,000 on it and have never regretted a minute of ownership. Repairs have been replacement of turn signal bulbs and driver's side window motor (80,000 mi.) It is a pleasure to drive on highways or twisty back roads. The 3.8 engine is smooth and has never given any trouble. It's only 195 hp, but always feels stronger. When it had 80,000 mi. on it, I took it to LA and back (1100+ mi.) and it averaged 31.5 mpg. at Interstate speeds. Did another 1100 mi. jaunt to AZ five months ago and did almost as well on gas. I've owned them all, foreign and domestic, and this is the best. GM was nuts to stop production.