Used 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:

Fine Overall Reliability!
By Ronald Movrich

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car has fine overall reliability. It is one of the very best cars I've ever owned! It provides an excellent combination of style, comfort, performance, and good gas mileage. Its build quality could have been better (door and hood alignment). One problem I've had (a common one according to my mechanic) is with the plastic intake manifold. I had to replace it because it had "bubbles" between the coolant ports and the air/gas intake (fortunately no leak of coolant into the air/gas intake at the time it was found out which could have been disasterous driving at highway speeds!). I wrote to GM but got no satisfaction! It is really an engineering design flaw! I pop the hood whenever I can now to let out the heat!

The performance and style.

This car needs a new design intake manifold for sure!

Love it
By B

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have had my Intrigue since new since '98. it is now 8 years old and is still chugging along. I had to replace the brakes, tires, steering rack, front hubs, and ball joints. the radiator is next. My car has 166,000 miles, so I can't complain. I wish the fuel economy was a little better. stereo upgrades were a sinch with the stuff that I got from crutchfield. I would buy another one today if the one that I have died.

I like the power, handling, comfort (drove from WI to AZ non stop), huge outside mirrors, simple instruments, and looks.

Interior trim fit.

Dependable and great mileage
By antoine c

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Intrigue with 42,000 miles on it and it's been great. It was a rental car at one point based on the Carfax report. I just hit 103,000 miles with no significant issues. All it has needed is new tires, new brakes and a serpentine belt. The car is bullet proof! I keep track of mileage and I got 28 MPG in my last fillup in mixed city/hwy driving. The car's handling is still top notch with over 100,000 miles on the odometer. I originally bought the car after renting various Intrigues for work. The handling was what impressed me at first.

Fuel economy, excellent reliability and handling.

I was sorry to see the model and brand die out. My brother just dumped his Toyota Avalon which had fewer miles and is a year newer. His car was a lemon - mine is gem!

Oldsmobile Intrigue
By Glen

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Oldsmobile Intrigue new and have been delighted ever since. I have not had to make any repairs to it outside of normal wear and tear. It has outstanding handling and good braking. It gets good gas mileage. Unfortunately, the seats can get a little uncomfortable over long trips. Also, I have experienced some annoying trim problems. Still, I was sorry to see the Oldsmobile brand eliminated.

The sleek body style, moonroof, and handling.

None

You Decide
By Montgomery Man

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Oldsmobile Intrigue 2 1/2 years ago with 60,000 miles on it. I had no problems with it (just normal routine maintenance) until we got over 100,000 miles. The power windows and windshield wipers have ceased to work. I am an extreme neat freak and wash and detail the car at least once ever two weeks, but the interior leather on the door is beginning to peel off. The cassette player eats any tapes we insert. The CD player, when driving, becomes abnormally hot and the factory speakers have blown. The car has begun to stutter when I hit the gas. We have gone through brakes like a fat kid goes through twinkie boxes. But, we have driven this car over 20,000 miles a year since we bought it. The interior is quiet, if you have the right tires.

Moonroof, alloy wheels, CD player, and the room in the back seat (you could fit a herd of elephants in the back seat). It rides nicely, with the right tires (be prepared to spend about $360.00 for four good tires). It gets pretty average gas mileage, about 34 mpg on long trips.

Stick the leather to the door a little better.