Used 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:

One owner car for 10 years
By Kevin Kary

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new, put 60K on it in three years, gave it to wife who put 40K on it in 4 years, and my two high school/college kids put the last 30K on it in three years. Overall a very good car. Drive train is great with the Series II V6 and a strong tranny. A lot of electrical problems over the years. The interior has disintegrated and all the plastic stuff is broken. The windshield wipers have been a problem. The A/C crashed after 6 years and was too expensive to fix so we've done without. I feel like I've gotten my money out of it so I'm trading it in. If I found a clean one used, I'd buy it for the kids.

Power - lots of it.

GM should figure out how to make dashboard controls that don't break when you look at them.

Loved it, despite problems late in life
By BNSF616

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought new 2/98. Great car for the first 8 yrs or so. Fun to drive, good fuel economy, good ergonomics, comfortable. It always (from around age 2+) had a minor, but irritating, oil leak that no one ever seemed able to find or fix. Otherwise, experienced only the usual and expected wear-related maintenance issues until about age 9, when several major problems cropped up (cracked intake manifold, mainly), and along with expected maintenance items consistent with that age/mileage just became too much to justify on a car with 121K miles. Finally traded it off 8/2008, but with a lot of sadness. It really was a good car overall, and I was very sorry to see it go.

Power, comfort, ergonomics, fuel economy.

Didn't really like the automatic climate control system. Would have preferred simple, manual rotary knobs.

Great car
By Richard

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I am original owner and after 154000 miles I still love this car. It is the earlier model with the 3800 seriesII V6- a great engine and no transmission problems. In fact no major maintaince expense- just what one might expect. Starter, intake manifold, plug wires and hoses. I hope to get another 150000 miles. I recently slowed down to the speed limit on highway and got 32/33 mpg against the original advertized 30mpg.

Auto headlights is by far the favorite feature. Gas and trunk release up on the dash. Engine and transmission.

Too late to improve. Intrigue and Olds are no more. Too bad.

GREAT car, but bad in a fender-bender
By Ian G.

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This is an excellent car. I've owned it for less than 4 months and have put 3,000 miles on top of the original 45,000. It's my first car and I can already tell that it was a good choice. The car has enough power and acceleration to keep me entertained without getting me into trouble. In the twisties this car is a blast. It seems to have the perfect balance of handling and ride quality. The car performs on long trips, although the seats can get a little uncomfortable after hours on the road. The brakes are strong and responsive but the stock tires aren't great. The tread life is too short. I already need new tires and they aren't as thick as I would like. Other than that, the car is great!

climate control, fog lamps, stereo, good looks, great acceleration

The body & front suspension need to be strengthened. I took a corner too fast in the rain & slid into a pole. I only grazed it & went into it at less than 10 mph but it caused over $4000 worth of damage. Both tie-rods were broken, the rim was bent & the hood, fender, & bumper needed to be replaced.

Great car
By jroberts

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car has over 120,000 miles. I bought it new and other than routine maintenance the only repair has been a new compressor for air conditioning. The leather seats have held up really well. My favorite thing about this car is the fast acceleration. It is like no other car I have driven and makes merging onto a highway a safer experience.

Great acceleration!

They should have kept making it, the engine is excellent. How about a hybrid version for gas savings!