1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:
Love this car and Oldsmobile
By oldsmobile93 on 03/11/13 07:35 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This was my first car, it now has over 230,000 miles on it. I have no major problem with it. It runs like the day I got it. I recommend this car to everybody I know

Trans failed at 11,000
By froondoon on 01/07/12 11:02 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The transmission failed at 11,000 miles. I bought a new GM replacement which they will guarantee for 100,000 miles or 3 hears. It wasn't under warranty because it was in a garage for 10 years, so it cost me over $4000. The AC motor leaks and the dealer couldn't find the tool to replace it. But it drives well and smoothly and handles very well for a GM car.

I love my Intrigue!
By ashley17 on 12/19/11 19:49 PM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I received my Intrigue December of 2011 for a X-mas present. So far it has made it 138,410 miles, so all of you who think that high mileage is bad, its not it just depends on who is taking care of it. No problems except having to restore front lenses, and covering up a few dings. This car is fun and smooth, almost ;like riding on a cloud. So for all who are looking for a good starter car I reccomend this beautiful car.

Been A Good Car
By hogan01 on 09/27/11 07:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2006 and I have no complaints. It is starting to fall apart but I expected this to happen soon with over 241,000 miles on it. It has always been reliable Abd I have no complaints

Still Like this car
By Dave Skogley on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this when my Subaru wagon's engine died in e. Tenn., (still haven't hit 100k miles on 2 I've owned). Sonny, the owner of the towing/repair center only had 1 car to sell, a silver intrigue, w/147,000 miles on, and I had to go 650 miles back to Chicago with my friend bill & 2 bicycles & gear. The car was leaking oil/coolant, had the warped plastic engine manifold, no ac, worn ignition switch, broken stabilizer bar, rusted muffler, worn tie rods/engine mounts, tension pulley, (from the oil). All were replaced & the transmission was rebuilt too. But the interior & body are in decent shape, and with all the trouble I was getting 31 highway mpg! I feel I have a new car now, and hope to reach 200k miles.

Decent Car
By Ktrud on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought my 98 Intrigue at 64,000 in May of 09, got a great deal on it from the dealership I worked at. Old guy owned it before, hardly drove it. After owning it a year and a half it is still a nice car. The interior has held up nicely. 3 of the 4 power window motors went out due to car being from TX, lots of dust and dirt in the track caused windows to fall out of tracks. Replaced serpentine belt at 72k. Quarter panels seem to dent very easily with the slightest impact. Currently has 87k on it and everything is going well! Paint holds up, electric system, brakes.. ride is very smooth and pretty quiet for being 12 years old. All around nice car for the average driver.

Kinda love it, kinda hate it
By ktrud on 05/27/10 11:41 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car cause the dealership I worked at gave me a good deal. $4200 at 62,000 miles, traded in by an old guy who never drove it. Was skeptical since its GM and I prefer Japanese cars. So far everything has been fine though! The body dents really easily though, especially the fenders. Had to replace all power window motors two weeks after I bought it. Serpentine belt snapped at 70k. Interior has held up! Nice leather, heater and a/c work, plenty of power! A lot more reliable than I had expected.

Not Perfect, But Good Enough
By Jess K on 05/26/09 17:48 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car used from another owner at just under 100,000 miles. In terms of comfort and performance, the car was solid. Definitely a better experience than I expected. The design is great, but the car left something to be desired in terms of quality. I didn't end up spending a ton on major repairs, but I regularly found myself dishing out cash for minor issues like broken turn signal and power windows - both known issues with the Intrigue. Also, the car's fuel economy seemed to decline with time. In the end, I lost the car at only 140,000 mi to an intake and head gasket leak that was not caught in time to save the engine - yet another known problem with Intrigues.

Loved this car
By Intrigue fan on 05/06/09 07:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in 2004, w/45,000 miles. I was used to buying foreign, and remember test driving this when it was new. It was designed to compete with foreign cars, handling and design. Also the 3800 Series II was a temp till the engine they planned for the car was finished. I must say I LOVED THIS CAR from the day I bought it, till I sold it, and wish hadn't. The handling was great, and very similar to foreign. Gas mileage was remarkably good for a 3.8 engine. This engine blows the replacement 3.5 engine (later yrs) away. Much smoother and quieter shifting and ride. Great room, great design. I only wish they still made them. My A/C went too. Otherwise reliable, except normal wear.

One owner car for 10 years
By Kevin Kary on 01/30/09 12:53 PM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new, put 60K on it in three years, gave it to wife who put 40K on it in 4 years, and my two high school/college kids put the last 30K on it in three years. Overall a very good car. Drive train is great with the Series II V6 and a strong tranny. A lot of electrical problems over the years. The interior has disintegrated and all the plastic stuff is broken. The windshield wipers have been a problem. The A/C crashed after 6 years and was too expensive to fix so we've done without. I feel like I've gotten my money out of it so I'm trading it in. If I found a clean one used, I'd buy it for the kids.