1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:
Been A Good Car
By hogan01 on 09/27/11 07:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2006 and I have no complaints. It is starting to fall apart but I expected this to happen soon with over 241,000 miles on it. It has always been reliable Abd I have no complaints

Still Like this car
By Dave Skogley on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

I bought this when my Subaru wagon's engine died in e. Tenn., (still haven't hit 100k miles on 2 I've owned). Sonny, the owner of the towing/repair center only had 1 car to sell, a silver intrigue, w/147,000 miles on, and I had to go 650 miles back to Chicago with my friend bill & 2 bicycles & gear. The car was leaking oil/coolant, had the warped plastic engine manifold, no ac, worn ignition switch, broken stabilizer bar, rusted muffler, worn tie rods/engine mounts, tension pulley, (from the oil). All were replaced & the transmission was rebuilt too. But the interior & body are in decent shape, and with all the trouble I was getting 31 highway mpg! I feel I have a new car now, and hope to reach 200k miles.

Not Perfect, But Good Enough
By Jess K on 05/26/09 17:48 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car used from another owner at just under 100,000 miles. In terms of comfort and performance, the car was solid. Definitely a better experience than I expected. The design is great, but the car left something to be desired in terms of quality. I didn't end up spending a ton on major repairs, but I regularly found myself dishing out cash for minor issues like broken turn signal and power windows - both known issues with the Intrigue. Also, the car's fuel economy seemed to decline with time. In the end, I lost the car at only 140,000 mi to an intake and head gasket leak that was not caught in time to save the engine - yet another known problem with Intrigues.

Loved this car
By Intrigue fan on 05/06/09 07:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in 2004, w/45,000 miles. I was used to buying foreign, and remember test driving this when it was new. It was designed to compete with foreign cars, handling and design. Also the 3800 Series II was a temp till the engine they planned for the car was finished. I must say I LOVED THIS CAR from the day I bought it, till I sold it, and wish hadn't. The handling was great, and very similar to foreign. Gas mileage was remarkably good for a 3.8 engine. This engine blows the replacement 3.5 engine (later yrs) away. Much smoother and quieter shifting and ride. Great room, great design. I only wish they still made them. My A/C went too. Otherwise reliable, except normal wear.

Safe Car
By Ashley on 03/28/08 15:44 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

Bought this car when my van quit on me. I loved it! It was very roomy and nice. Had a great sunroof, sound system, and 6 disc changer. The gas was great also....However, son flipped it 4 times, and rammed into a tree and walked out with no injuries. This car is extremely safe and built well!!

Great family sports car
By James.P on 01/02/06 18:50 PM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

I have kids. I had to get something that would compete with my pre-Camaro owning days. I bought an intrigue. This car was just as sporty, handled just as well, and had plenty of power to boot. It is a great car for the guy who has to grow up!

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By tgnmb on 11/23/05 23:02 PM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

Other than routine maintance, my Oldsmobile Intrigue has been a champ through long trips and city stop and go driving. I had back surgery and this is the most comfortable car that I have ever sat in. The power is incredible for this style car and with the airbag system I feel safe. The sound system is awesome, it has the OEM sound I've heard - and I'm a sound man and electrician. My son is comfortable and safe in this car and that makes the differnce. It also has trunk space for many long trips. It saddens me that GM decided to stop the Oldsmobile line because if they came out with a new Intrigue I would buy it. Mine now has nearly 130,000 miles on it, but I'm sure she has a lot of miles left.

intrigue1998
By olds49 on 02/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

Everything held together pretty well until 60,000 miles then oil leaks started, strut supports went out, alternator was replaced, idler pulley came apart, now I hear there's a forthcoming recall for the steering box. Also along the way a couple of electric window motors failed. I've driven Japanese autos to well over 100,000 miles without any of this foolishness happening. Had considered an Impala until stuff started breaking, but since it's a GM drivetrain clone of this car I might just pass and check out Honda Accords, Toyota Camrys, and Mazda 6's.

Keeps going and going
By NonStop on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for about 3 years now. When it was bought it only had around 56000 miles on it. The car now has over 207000 miles on it.My experience with this car has been a very pleasant one to say the least. This car has not had any major mechanical problems involving either the engine or other wise. I’ve driven many miles in this car it has never let me down no matter the situation.The vehicle has its faults, but they are minor at best and should not detract from this vehicle especially if your the type that likes to have a car that can handle the miles in better than decent comfort and with impeccable reliability.

Best Car EVER!
By Drewskki27455 on 12/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have ever own. Period.