Used 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Base Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue - Consumer Reviews

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:

Beastmobile
By Reedy

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

I got this car my senior year of high school at 94k miles and after beating the complete dog mess out of it for 3 years and about 30k miles later, this car still runs like a champion! Never lost to a Honda, plowed through the snow like a subie, please believe I had tons of fun in this car being able to turn the traction control off at a touch of a button. I finally blew the tranny back in November after making travels across the state of Wa and decided it was time for something different, but I would recommend this car to anyone. Can't go wrong with a Gm 3.8l v6, right ?

Been A Good Car
By hogan01

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2006 and I have no complaints. It is starting to fall apart but I expected this to happen soon with over 241,000 miles on it. It has always been reliable Abd I have no complaints

Still Like this car
By Dave Skogley

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

I bought this when my Subaru wagon's engine died in e. Tenn., (still haven't hit 100k miles on 2 I've owned). Sonny, the owner of the towing/repair center only had 1 car to sell, a silver intrigue, w/147,000 miles on, and I had to go 650 miles back to Chicago with my friend bill & 2 bicycles & gear. The car was leaking oil/coolant, had the warped plastic engine manifold, no ac, worn ignition switch, broken stabilizer bar, rusted muffler, worn tie rods/engine mounts, tension pulley, (from the oil). All were replaced & the transmission was rebuilt too. But the interior & body are in decent shape, and with all the trouble I was getting 31 highway mpg! I feel I have a new car now, and hope to reach 200k miles.

Automatic climate controls, Bose sound system, auto on-off lights, v-6 highway mpg & power, comfortable seating & ride, cheaper American car parts, better mpg on highway

Loose interior parts, cup holders, needing to remove bicycle wheels to put inside, broken gas tank cover switch, rubber trim

Not Perfect, But Good Enough
By Jess K

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car used from another owner at just under 100,000 miles. In terms of comfort and performance, the car was solid. Definitely a better experience than I expected. The design is great, but the car left something to be desired in terms of quality. I didn't end up spending a ton on major repairs, but I regularly found myself dishing out cash for minor issues like broken turn signal and power windows - both known issues with the Intrigue. Also, the car's fuel economy seemed to decline with time. In the end, I lost the car at only 140,000 mi to an intake and head gasket leak that was not caught in time to save the engine - yet another known problem with Intrigues.

Comfort and solid design.

Faulty intake and head gasket design causes coolant leak that has potential to destroy engine.

Loved this car
By Intrigue fan

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in 2004, w/45,000 miles. I was used to buying foreign, and remember test driving this when it was new. It was designed to compete with foreign cars, handling and design. Also the 3800 Series II was a temp till the engine they planned for the car was finished. I must say I LOVED THIS CAR from the day I bought it, till I sold it, and wish hadn't. The handling was great, and very similar to foreign. Gas mileage was remarkably good for a 3.8 engine. This engine blows the replacement 3.5 engine (later yrs) away. Much smoother and quieter shifting and ride. Great room, great design. I only wish they still made them. My A/C went too. Otherwise reliable, except normal wear.

the engine was dependable and great ride. Auto headlights on/off and door lock/unlock

Irrelevant, but cupholder broke, cruise control button had to leave on to work (just wiring loose) Everything worked well for a 100k miles!