Used 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue - Consumer Reviews

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:

Been A Good Car
By hogan01

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2006 and I have no complaints. It is starting to fall apart but I expected this to happen soon with over 241,000 miles on it. It has always been reliable Abd I have no complaints

Still Like this car
By Dave Skogley

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

I bought this when my Subaru wagon's engine died in e. Tenn., (still haven't hit 100k miles on 2 I've owned). Sonny, the owner of the towing/repair center only had 1 car to sell, a silver intrigue, w/147,000 miles on, and I had to go 650 miles back to Chicago with my friend bill & 2 bicycles & gear. The car was leaking oil/coolant, had the warped plastic engine manifold, no ac, worn ignition switch, broken stabilizer bar, rusted muffler, worn tie rods/engine mounts, tension pulley, (from the oil). All were replaced & the transmission was rebuilt too. But the interior & body are in decent shape, and with all the trouble I was getting 31 highway mpg! I feel I have a new car now, and hope to reach 200k miles.

Favorite Features

Automatic climate controls, Bose sound system, auto on-off lights, v-6 highway mpg & power, comfortable seating & ride, cheaper American car parts, better mpg on highway

Suggested Improvements

Loose interior parts, cup holders, needing to remove bicycle wheels to put inside, broken gas tank cover switch, rubber trim

Not Perfect, But Good Enough
By Jess K

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car used from another owner at just under 100,000 miles. In terms of comfort and performance, the car was solid. Definitely a better experience than I expected. The design is great, but the car left something to be desired in terms of quality. I didn't end up spending a ton on major repairs, but I regularly found myself dishing out cash for minor issues like broken turn signal and power windows - both known issues with the Intrigue. Also, the car's fuel economy seemed to decline with time. In the end, I lost the car at only 140,000 mi to an intake and head gasket leak that was not caught in time to save the engine - yet another known problem with Intrigues.

Favorite Features

Comfort and solid design.

Suggested Improvements

Faulty intake and head gasket design causes coolant leak that has potential to destroy engine.

Loved this car
By Intrigue fan

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in 2004, w/45,000 miles. I was used to buying foreign, and remember test driving this when it was new. It was designed to compete with foreign cars, handling and design. Also the 3800 Series II was a temp till the engine they planned for the car was finished. I must say I LOVED THIS CAR from the day I bought it, till I sold it, and wish hadn't. The handling was great, and very similar to foreign. Gas mileage was remarkably good for a 3.8 engine. This engine blows the replacement 3.5 engine (later yrs) away. Much smoother and quieter shifting and ride. Great room, great design. I only wish they still made them. My A/C went too. Otherwise reliable, except normal wear.

Favorite Features

the engine was dependable and great ride. Auto headlights on/off and door lock/unlock

Suggested Improvements

Irrelevant, but cupholder broke, cruise control button had to leave on to work (just wiring loose) Everything worked well for a 100k miles!

Safe Car
By Ashley

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4dr Sedan

Bought this car when my van quit on me. I loved it! It was very roomy and nice. Had a great sunroof, sound system, and 6 disc changer. The gas was great also....However, son flipped it 4 times, and rammed into a tree and walked out with no injuries. This car is extremely safe and built well!!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, Leather Interior, 6 Disc changer, and Sound System.

Suggested Improvements

None. It was really a great car.