A Bottomless Money Pit
By Joe on
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4dr Sedan
This car has caused me quite a bit of trouble. I bought it with 30,000 miles on it and it now has just under 100,000. I've had to replace mufflers on it three times. I replaced the gas tank on it, along with a fuel pump because I would nearly stall after coming down certain hills. This probably needs to be fixed again, as it's acting up. About 1,000 miles ago my belt tensioner broke, spinning my belt off the pulleys so that no water made it to my radiator and so my engine overheated on the spot. This happened out of nowhere for no reason. A cable snapped in my left mirror so I need to wedge something there to keep the mirror aimed where I want it. This car needs one fix after another.
Favorite Features
I do like the car's power. It's got good acceleration when it decides to work. I get compliments on the roominess as well. It's also great in the snow. It's got the nice heavy rolly Cadillac kind of feel to it.
Suggested Improvements
This car is a bunch of nuts and bolts with four wheels attached. I seem to have a different problem with it every 4,000 miles or so. That should happen with well over 100,000 miles on it, not less. Improve everything (although that's impossible since Oldsmobile is out of business, and no wonder).