1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eighty-Eight model:
Replace Plenum before it wrecks engine
By Steve on 09/25/09 13:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4dr Sedan

Intake manifold gasket was replaced before I bought it. However, the plenum went and water went into the engine. After 600 dollar plenum repair, a valve was bad. After a couple hundred miles it needed a 1200 dollar valve repair. After a couple hundred miles a piece of engine (probably connecting rod) went through the engine block. Replace the original plenum and manifold gasket to avoid costly repairs. This happend on a 94 Park Avenue of mine with 156000 miles, a 99 Park Avenue with 190,000 miles and now a 98 Olds 88 with 111,000 miles. Great engine except for the plenums and intake manifold gaskets.

Solid, dependable car
By Kapok on 07/01/08 19:41 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4dr Sedan

Bought the car in '02 with 60K miles on it. Now has 189K and still going strong. However, it has a main seal and oil pan gasket leaks, too much $$ to spend on such an old car. It has served my family well.

1998- 88 Oldsmobile reliabiliy.
By Richard C. Schaeffer on 11/04/07 08:49 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4dr Sedan

The 1998 Oldsmobile 88 is the most reliable automobile my wife and I have owned in the past fifty years. It has retained its 'clear coat' paint finish without being housed in a garage.

Excellent Car
By britnyscc on 04/13/07 08:17 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LS 4dr Sedan

My husband and I bought this car last summer and we have fallen in love with it since. It's never given us any major trouble. The rear brakes are beginning to rub, but they only rub in the mornings when you first drive it. Very reliable. If we could buy another we definitely would!

Bring 'Em Back
By art thomson on 01/15/06 22:13 PM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4dr Sedan

The 1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight is my kind of car. It's fun to drive, and has lots of power. Thats it. The down side: the plastic cup holders are lousy. They broke off and are long gone. The radio is very good, though I wish there had a CD player since the cassette player broke. I would buy another Olds if only they were still making them. I guess it will be a Buick or Caddy for me, since I only buy American.

Love My `98 `88LS
By Jobuck1 on 12/08/04 08:13 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used last year from a dealership and they put me in touch with the previous owner. Luckily he was an older fellow who had bought the car new and had taken excellent care of it. All the servicing done on time, and logged in the owners' manual. I was able to pick right up where he left off. About once a month I make a trip up through the Ozark mountains on a twisting, up and down highway and I love the way the car handles and performs. I think that 3.8L is one of the better motors ever manufactured. Plenty of power and and decent gas mileage. I get around 19mpg in town and 26mpg on the highway. All in all I've been very satisfied with this car.

poor engineering
By got screwed consumer on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used from a private party and it only had 36,000 miles on it. At 53,000 miles the engine started taking in water. Took to dealership and the two section plastic molded intake had to be replaced for $1200.00 dollars. Oldsmobile no help with repair even though dealership admitted intake had a flaw in the original design. At 63,000 miles the throttle body started leaking. Took back to dealership and it had to be replaced for $600 dollars. Again Oldsmobile no help. NO WONDER OLDSMOBILE IS BEING DISCONTINUED. I would not buy one of these cars again, even if it were free. Great job General Motors.

Great Vehicle
By Mr. Toyota on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LS 4dr Sedan

This is a great vehicle for the money. Powerful, comfortable, and reliable all desribe this car perfectly. The car has very responsive handling and get great fuel milage.

Very Nice
By acnoogs on 06/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4dr Sedan

Simply, it runs like a dream. For a car not built for performance, it performs. And what a comfort it is to drive in this one. A little boxy, but otherwise a stylish car.

1998 Olds LS
By Stephen D. Bright Sr on 06/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LS 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is fun to drive handles well and is very dependable. It has a very responsive and powerful 205hp V/6 engine. Great fuel economy as much as 30 mpg on the highway and approximately 25 mpg aroung town. Negatives include excessive wind noise at high speed 70 mph or greater from both front doors. There are also several squeaks in the interior trim especially around the dash.