Used 1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eighty-Eight model:

A Bottomless Money Pit
By Joe

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4dr Sedan

This car has caused me quite a bit of trouble. I bought it with 30,000 miles on it and it now has just under 100,000. I've had to replace mufflers on it three times. I replaced the gas tank on it, along with a fuel pump because I would nearly stall after coming down certain hills. This probably needs to be fixed again, as it's acting up. About 1,000 miles ago my belt tensioner broke, spinning my belt off the pulleys so that no water made it to my radiator and so my engine overheated on the spot. This happened out of nowhere for no reason. A cable snapped in my left mirror so I need to wedge something there to keep the mirror aimed where I want it. This car needs one fix after another.

I do like the car's power. It's got good acceleration when it decides to work. I get compliments on the roominess as well. It's also great in the snow. It's got the nice heavy rolly Cadillac kind of feel to it.

This car is a bunch of nuts and bolts with four wheels attached. I seem to have a different problem with it every 4,000 miles or so. That should happen with well over 100,000 miles on it, not less. Improve everything (although that's impossible since Oldsmobile is out of business, and no wonder).

A Good Solid Lux Automobile
By Robbed718

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about a week ago now with 54,000 miles on it. It was from a little old lady who lost her vision and the car was rarely used. I bought it and brought it to the mechanic. Apparently the V5 A/C Compressors on this car are horrible. It is making a sound when the belt turns but I ordered one online for only 200 bucks (Mechanics shop wants $450 just for the compressor) I heard these are great cars esp with the 3800 that's why I bought it. I plan on keeping it a while, it drives beautifully. Very Comfortable, decent gas mileage and fun to drive. Its basically like driving a big leather couch with lots of power. Overall I am very happy so far and it is worth the money

Leather Seats (Option for 98), Wood grain Trim inside the LS isn't cheap at all, bulletproof workhorse 3800 motor. Even though I have to spent about $800 bucks to get the thing up and running to its maximum potential, these cars are tanks and worth every penny of my money.

boring styling, bad V5 Compressors Suck and plastic intake manifolds ( But not all of them have this problem, you have to anticipate a few repairs with a 12 year old car.

Come back, PLEASE
By macinman

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4dr Sedan

I have owned onjly one other car than the eighty eight and that was a ford escort ZX2, this car is a tank but ive fallen in love with it, very safe reliable, engine was rebilt last year aparently.

Everything

Just wish the gas milege was a little better, but again this is very minor to my old car.

my 88
By daddy weber

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4dr Sedan

i got a 88 about a year ago for 1,799and it runs like a champ only put like 600 into it since i got it and its the best car ive ever owned reliability wise.

the power is good and i think it gets around good in the snow if set up rite and its really comfie

more power a v8 would b nice ,rear wheel drive and a floor mounted shifter thats it otherwise i think its a solid car

Big and Economical!
By GMCK25004x4

1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4dr Sedan

I don't know what was wrong with other 88's, but mine got 33 mpg on the highway and 27-29 in freaking town! I loved this car! it had 147000 miles on it when I sold it. hated to get rid of it but wife hit a deer. I replaced the hood, header panel, and fender, but it needed paint, only. Only mtce done to the car was water pump. Tranny or rear end seemed to skip and cause the car to skid every now and then...strange..but it was a very reliable car and I am looking for another one because of the mpg and size! Buy one! It is WELL worth it!

Gas mileage!

Cup holders and console compartment were very weak.