Used 1997 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eighty-Eight model:

I love this used car!!!!
By victor26

1997 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Comfortable with no problems at all. We bought it with 30K miles on it and have had not one problem in the past year. My Mom swears it is a Cadillac because of the comfort and pick up. We do change the oil and take good care of the car...it is a great ride!

Fast, comfortable, very reliable.

Better body design

I LOVE this car but...
By Lady who buys cars

1997 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this used as a second car for the family. I love it and it's totally fun to drive. We also have a 1993 Buick Park Avenue. It's the same car only a little older. I like the updates on the Old's 88 but i'm having some old car type problems. The anti theft system engaged and had to be bypassed. The lighters don't work so I can't plug things in. The fuel sending unit rusted. $600. There just seems to be a lot of little things. I'm not sure if it's because the car is old. My other old car (the Park Ave) didn't have these problem - from what I recall. This car feels like luxury when you drive it. THAT's nice!

Fun to drive. Luxurious feel.

Better quality keyless remotes. Mine only work when they want too - even with new batteries.

American Classic
By BT

1997 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought as dealer exec car with 5,500 miles on it. Big brawny rugged reliable American classic. It's a shame Olds is no longer made. We had a Pontiac 6000 LE for 15 years which was a great car. When we looked for its replacement, this Olds 88 was even better.

Classic brawny but sleek styling. Spacious comfort and reliability. The rear window extending over trunk style has been imitated by many later cars. Column-mounted gear shift.

Make front side windows totally unobstructed without the small vent- like bars (apparently necessary for speakers in front of doors).

A Very Good Car
By jeffnkim

1997 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

We bought this car used in '99 with 101,000 on the odometer. Has been a very good car, with only minor repairs. It seems to be hard on front brake hardware like pads and disc rotors (probably the way wifey drives!) but otherwise VERY dependable and I would recommend it to anyone. Styling is somewhat "dumpy" but still a very good car.

Excellent ride for a front wheel drive; good comfort for a big person like me (6'2 285lbs)

Great Car
By Old Ted

1997 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

We bought the car with about 30K miles. The cassette deck immediately ate a tape. At about 80K miles the fuel pump and sender unit had a melt down and cost us over $900 CDN to repair. Too many of these expensive setbacks could quickly turn a person off. Otherwise the car has been excellent in every way.

Power, Handling, Comfort.

The stereo system isn't up to this class of car. The vehicle deserves better.