Family Car
By Troy Ericksen on
1995 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale LSS 4dr Sedan
I purchased this car when it was four year old. It had 38,000 miles on it. I picked it because I thought it would be a roomy reliable family car plus I liked styling. Unfortunately, it was plagued with mechanical problems. The alternator went at 43,000 miles, as did the starter and water pump. It had electrical problems, excessive oil consumption, the transmission leaked etc. The car's door didn't even close properly. It got disappointing gas mileage. I sold it at 78,000 miles because of the mechanical problems. I can see why they stopped making Oldsmobiles, with this kind of reliablity record. At least it was very comfortable, had excellent visibility, a very strong engine, and a huge trunk. Its suspension was like a slinky, it had excessive body roll and wallow.
Favorite Features
It was a very comfortable car. I am 6'4" and it had plenty of head and leg room. It had very good leg room in the back seat as well. It also had a strong engine with plenty of passing power and a huge trunk. It was a nice looking car.
Suggested Improvements
This car had the softest ride I have ever experienced. I felt like I was on a water bed. I have owned over 35 cars and this was one of the most disappointing cars I have ever owned. It had so many mechanical problems that I am afraid to buy another GM car. I spent thousands on repairs.