Used 1995 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale - Consumer Reviews

1995 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale

View reviews for a specific Eighty-Eight Royale model:

Full Size car with plenty of room
By Eric Andersen

1995 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale LS 4dr Sedan

Attractive car with great head and leg room front and back.Pretty fast for a V6.
Adequate gas mileage.Fairly reliable. Adequate trunk space.Horrible suspension SUPER SOFT.
I bought car for I wanted a good car for long trips. I am very tall this car is super easy to get in and out. Spacious interior.One of the most confortable cars to seat in. Average reliability but I have never owned a car with a softer suspension which is one of the main reasons I got rid of it. They no longer make Oldsmobiles so trade in value low.

Great car until the engine locked up.
By Kyle

1995 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale LSS 4dr Sedan w/Supercharger

I loved this car. Loved it. It rode beautifully, was fast as hell, and offered the comfort of a lazy boy. Engine locked up. Car's done for.

It's like driving a sofa
By Karen Troxell

1995 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4dr Sedan

I keep reading about this 29 MPG crap! No way... not even close. But what do you expect from a full-size car with more than adequate power? Mine's 20 years old with 139K, and I'd rather drive this than most new cars. I wanted to write this review right away, but I waited until I've owned it for three months, which is basically the kind of guarantee you get from a used car dealer. Smooth, comfortable, and without a doubt, THE most quiet car I've ever driven. Everything in this stoic ride works right. You won't often say that about a car that has a lot of amenities, 20 years down the road. As a superlative of smooth and quiet, I was waxing the driver side front door, and didn't even realize I still had the engine running.

I used to see these, with their split front door windows that resemble the old sidewing windows on early 1960's cars, and thought, and still do think, that it looked stupid. But it's absolute genius! By narrowing the top of the window, they seal up real nice and tight, and certainly have a lot to do with how quiet the interior is. The driver's seat is so big, plush, and comfortable, that it is literally, more like sitting on a sofa. You really need to be careful not to let all of this comfort and quiet distract you from the job at hand... driving! But with it's spectacular, panoramic visibility, you always know where you're at. So let's talk about driving.

Every day, on my way home from work, I have a stop sign, at the top of the highway ramp, headed slightly uphill, where I need 0-60 in a hurry. NO PROBLEM! Accelerating from 60-75, and giving it gas to get up the hills on the highway is ... good. If the AC is cranking, it backs down to 'better than adequate'. But it's nothing like the doggy old 305ci 8-cylinders that used to drag these boats around. And speaking of boats, this is nothing like the ones I've owned before. There is very little sway, pitch, and yawl when you have to actually maneuver this thing. Dare I say that it is damn near ... nimble? Effortless, precise steering, seems to be another of it's wonderful qualities. If you've ever owned an Olds, you certainly won't be disappointed with one of these beauties!

Loved my Olds!
By theleifmeister

1995 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale LS 4dr Sedan

Inherited this car from grandparents at a bit under 100k miles...drove it constantly, first highway and then mostly horrendous DC city traffic, while there were some repairs (water pump, strut, new brake lines, few electronics) I loved the car, and the Engine was always roaring to go. Only reason I am not still driving it at around 150k is because a tree fell on it in a storm last week. Would buy another but I want something a bit flashier :D

Engine, comfy bench seats

15 Years of reliable Service
By Robert

1995 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale LS 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new. It has now 161,000 miles. The car is very comfortable and reliable. Even after 161,000 miles the engine burns no oil and transmission works like new. I installed a external oil cooler which keeps the temperature of the fluid below 160 F. I change oil+ STP every 3000 miles and replace transmission fluid about 2 - 3 times a year by pumping out 1 gallon (thats all one can pump out through the dipstick). Repairs: Cracked head, leaky bypass tube.Replaced trunk lid springs twice. Even now excellent mileage: 29 mpg/ on highway. Best car I ever had.

Smooth, quite car with plenty acceleration.Compared to my other car, I appreciate the variable ratio power steering and smooth throttle response.

The AC outlets don't sweep the head space, leaving hot air at the ceiling. I added scoops at the side AC outlets directing the air upwards.