Used 1994 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale Special Edition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Oldsmobile Eighty-eight-royale - Consumer Reviews

1994 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale

View reviews for a specific Eighty-Eight Royale model:

Olds 88 Royale
By Mike Munson

1994 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale Special Edition 4dr Sedan

This car has plenty of interior space in both the front and back, lots of headroom, comfortable seats, and good visability. It also has a nice large trunk. It has plenty of passing power, but I am disappointed with its gas mileage. Also it Uses a lot of oil. Unfortunately, this car was not all that reliable. The alternator and water pump went out at around 45,000 miles followed by assortment of other parts which failed way before you might expect. The susupension was SUPER SOFT. The car would wallow with the slightest bump.

Favorite Features

The engine power, great interior space, how it is easy to get in and out of, its comfort, and good visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the softest suspension I have ever experienced. this car would bounce up and down with the slightest bump. It has too much body lean. Reliability is a major sore spot.

Excellent ride, engine and transmission
By mikeurbo

1994 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner of this car. About six years after owning the car, I had to replace almost every gasket (costing me almost as much as the car's value then) it's probably due to my teenage son abusing and driving the car very hard, doesn't drive it anymore! Rides great although could corner better. Stock wheels and tires have been changed to 16 inch and handling is much better. Almost bullet proof engine and transmission combo. I have seen these cars with more that 250,000 original miles.

Favorite Features

True American big car ride, comfortable leather seats, Pretty reliable, great features, easy to read and user friendly controls, super smooth engine and transmission (rather decent power). Paint looks like new when waxed. Would definitely consider buying a newer used one.

Suggested Improvements

Keyless entry doesn't have much distance, automatic headlights would be welcomed, stock 15 inch wheels are terrible, HVAC vents to low in the dash and only blow on my hands, gas gage wanders too much, full one minute empty the next. Cheap interior plastics, break and fall off easy