Used 1992 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Eighty-Eight Royale model:

What a Great, Cheap Car
By Brian B.

1992 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4dr Sedan

I have owned my car for two years now and It has always been dependable. There were a few things that wore out over time, but instead of buying another old car I fixed a lot. I put all new brakes, suspension, stabilizer links, stereo, oil and trans gasket, fuel and trans filter, fuel system flush, and a belt. Not all of this was entirely necessary but I wanted it to be really nice. I spent what I would have on another car and I couldn't be happier. The car has 92,000 miles and is great. It rides out like a dream and no longer leans into turns. If someone else is wondering what to do with their Olds like mine, it's worth the money. This is coming from a car salesman.

Favorite Features

The stereo I put in, but stock would be the 3.8L V6 motor. GM really struck gold with this motor. I couldn't be happier.

Suggested Improvements

More front seat legroom would have been nice.

Great Car for $2,500..
By T D Moore

1992 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4dr Sedan

I just purchased this Olds Eighty-Eight as an interstate work car. It gets good gas mileage to start with, 26 mpg, and I added Toyo Ultra tires and Mobil 1 oil and a Mobil 1 filter. Now it is getting 32 mpg highway or better. I'm really happy with this car. It has great looks, is a fun driver, and experiences NO depreciation. I intend to put 200,000 miles on it and then find another. I hope you find a twin to it. My other car is an '04 T hunderbird, which I don't drive much now..as I like the 88 so much.

Favorite Features

The good gas mileage, looks, fun to drive and lack of depreciation.

Suggested Improvements

None

good car
By RIck

1992 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale LS 4dr Sedan

I had my Oldsmobile 8 months, it was a pizza delivery car for me. The only problem I EVER had with it was blowing my alternator up. When i got rid of it, the car had 207,000 miles and was still running. The only reason i got rid of it was because of the mileage and the computer died. Great job Oldsmobile.

Favorite Features

Comfort/radio controls on the steering wheel. and of course, the 3800 getting 30+ MPG on the freeway.

Suggested Improvements

Bring Oldsmobile Back.

Love my Olds
By bucksfan89

1992 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is great. On the highway, i can avg. about 27-28 mpg, great for a vehicle this size. best engine GM made (and still makes) is the 3.8 V6. like the styling, although the front end could be less square. currently has 113000 miles and still going strong. the seats are comfy, although could be more supportive. like all of the features mine has. Problems have been a bad vibration in the front end(maybe wheel bearing), Electronic Control Module went bad, and tape player mysteriously stopped working. Too bad Olds is going out.

Favorite Features

Engine, fuel economy (avg. 27-30 mpg.), power, size of interior and trunk, rear end styling, comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

4 wheel discs should be standard, along with ABS. better layout of HVAC and stereo controls, better material quality, better seats.

One of the best cars I've owned
By Rocket Boy

1992 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4dr Sedan

This car will not stop. I can drive it like a madman and it will still start the next day all while giving me 25-30 mpg. I can not belive GM is killing Olds. They should have pulled the plug on Saturn instead. With regular care I'm sure this car would safely and comfortably get me to every destination.

Favorite Features

Strong, Reliabe 3.8L engine. Comfortable interior. Great MPG

Suggested Improvements

NONE