1990 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale Consumer Reviews

1990 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eighty-Eight Royale model:
Bulletproof 'Granny'
By APR on 05/15/09 17:38 PM (PDT)

1990 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale Brougham 4dr Sedan

We've had "Old Girl" since 1996 when my wife's grandparents stopped driving. She received it w/ 19,0000 miles. Today we have 186,000 miles on her w/ no signs of slowing down. She's never left us on the side of the road and always starts in the morning (unless the aftermarket alarm power lock relay sticks and drains the battery). The clearcoat on the roof is now gone and the driver rear door won't open (worn out lock mechanism) but she keeps rolling down the road w/ the original exhaust (except catalytic converter), shocks, struts, and complete powertrain. She's spent her entire life in IA, WI, and CO--so that is saying a lot about her durability. She's not "cool" but she's well loved.

Family Gift
By twilk on 05/02/06 16:26 PM (PDT)

1990 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4dr Sedan

This car was left to us by my father in law. It has over 225 000 km on it and is still going strong. The car sat in the driveway for 2 1/2 years and fired right up with the purchase of a new battery. It has not needed any other repairs but a power window on driver side is dead. It has quite a bit of rust around wheel wells, but overall it is quite a reliable car. It gets approximately 19 km per mile.

Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale
By Great Royale on 07/21/05 20:51 PM (PDT)

1990 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4dr Sedan

This car is 210,000 miles old and it is still running strong. The air doesn't work anymore, but other than that, there is nothing wrong with it. What a great car!

Just got this little creature
By Marcia Hamilton on 06/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car for $850.00. KELLEY suggested that price, EDMUNDS suggested less. I gave that price because the owner had put in a new gas tank, cd system, new fuel and brake lines and the car ran very nicely. It has quite a bit of rust around the tire wells and door handles and antenna mount. The underside of the car (being driven in upstate New York),is pretty rusty, some of it superficial.I have a friend who will do body work. The car is quite comfortable with plenty of back seat room and the material covering the seats is still is excellent and the interior vinyl work is excellent with no rips or discoloration.

1990 Oldmobile Eighty-Eight Brom 4DR
By RWoodring on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale Brougham 4dr Sedan

I have over 222K miles on this vehicle and only had to replace a few routine items, alternator, water pump, brakes, etc. I live in a rural area where paved roads are a luxury. It has been rear-ended twice and still drives great! This car costs very little to drive and I would buy another one without hesitation.

best car so far
By hockeymancw on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale Brougham 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with 90K on it. Noe I have 210K. I have not done any maintenence on it except oil changes and breaks. It is by far the best riding and most comfortable car I've ever had. I get unbelievable milage on the highway. I am dissapointed, however, that it has only one cup holder; but a quick trip to Canadian Tire for a console fixed that. This car is reliable, gets great milage and has enough power to make you feel confident when passing on those busy 2- lane highways. This is a great used car!

This car deserves more respect
By CarFan on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale Brougham 4dr Sedan

I work as a Valet and I have driven everything from a Geo Prizm to a Bentley This Oldsmobile is one of the top 3 most comfortable cars I have ever driven. It seems to have a problem with alternators going out, but they are cheap and other than that, the car has been a very pleasant surprise. I would Definately buy another.

decent (boring) car
By mattkpsu on 04/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4dr Sedan

I received this car as a gift from my grandparents when i was in college. It has been generally reliable so far (I have about 140,000 miles on mine). I have driven it many times in snow, and it has performed admirably, due to its front-end weight. I have averaged 23mpg, which isn't so bad for such a large car. Maintenance-wise, i am on my THIRD alternator. I also had to replace the ignition module, the exhaust, and the rear suspension pieces. The transmission has developed a problem where it doesn't like to downshift, and my power windows and keyless entry system no longer work (annoying). The white paint is chipping, too.

Toms
By tgg63 on 04/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4dr Sedan

It has been a great car. No issues, solid engiine and drive train

Practical car
By Johngopher on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4dr Sedan

My biggest complaint is the paint is peeling. It has white paint. Take a look if this is important. It runs great. I guess I'm a little bit tough on the car, but I think it has another 100,000 miles on it. I think the only work I have done on it was a fuel pump replaced. About 20 mpg