Used 1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cutlass model:

Bought used, works great
By _vandra_

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car almost 5 years ago. It handles well, corners neatly and is comfortable. Driver's seat is easy to adjust esp steering wheel height which is a biggie for me. The seats were leather and not oiled so consequently they are cracking like mad in driver's seat and one of the rear seats. That's annoying and given a choice, I'd have opted for cloth because leather and 120 degree weather don't mix! The gas mileage is supposed to be 17-22 but I easily clear 25 in town and 30 if I do 60-65 on highway. In fact, I drove to St. Louis with cruise on at 55 mph and got nearly 38 miles to the gallon! Overall I'm very pleased and plan on keeping the car for several more years for my daughter.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel adjusts up high enough for bigger people. Easy maintenance. Drives nicely and is great on gas mileage. Reliable in both summer and winter. It's at 175k miles right now. We had to buy new tires when we got it, do oil changes and once had to replace the bearing on passenger side but that was because I had no option but to drive thru standing water for several miles during flood.

Suggested Improvements

Cloth instead of leather seats. Seriously in need of better way to access and fill the transmission fluid. That's a freaking nightmare guaranteed to burn you or cut you cause it's down so far and only 1" across with no resevoir. Make cup holders a smidge bigger in diameter, my travel mugs that aren't fluted don't fit in them.

Not all its cut up to be
By maznwmn

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used. It had 120k miles on it. After 4 months the engine blew. We had issues with it wanting to overheat when stopping & going. Issues with the abs light having a mind of its own. Replaced brakes twice in 6 months. Squealy brakes constantly. Think twice before buying this car.

Amazing First Car
By Donny

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass GL 4dr Sedan

I recently bought this car from my friends grandmother, who hardly ever drove it. It only had 52,980 miles on it. I have had it for a month and it now has almost 54,000 miles on it. It is amazingly fun to drive. Even though it is kind of a 'grandma' car, it still can get up and go. The leather interior is amazing. This is an overall great car. I have had no problems with it, but the wiper fluid container has a leak.

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING!

Suggested Improvements

N/A

Pretty Good for the money
By BLee

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 1999 with about 18,000 miles on it. The V6 engine has plenty of power to move the car. I have had the same problems listed by others; two intake gaskets, alternator, brakes galore. Then at 178,000 miles the camshaft broke, destroying the engine. I bought a junk yard engine and tranny with 26,000 miles on them and had the car back on the road for $1500. It's now pushing 190,000 miles and I plan to drive it until it can no longer be repaired. I'm 6'7" tall and there's plenty of legroom for me in the driver's seat. I've been very pleased with the car. I've definitely gotten my moneys worth out of it.

Favorite Features

Plenty of room. Easy to maintain. Very good acceleration with the V6 engine.

Good car
By woodaf23

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass GL 4dr Sedan

we've had our Cutlass for 7 years now and it has 126,000 miles now. It's been a great car, never left us stranded. Has had regular maintenance, but nothing major, and nothing recurring/problematic. We've put a lot of miles on it and use it pretty much every day and it's been good to us. In the last year or two it had developed some rust along the bottom of the doors, which I'm told is a common problem for the cutlass/malibus. For being a 6 cylinder it has pretty good performance and is fun to drive.