1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cutlass model:
Bought used, works great
By _vandra_ on 09/28/13 15:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car almost 5 years ago. It handles well, corners neatly and is comfortable. Driver's seat is easy to adjust esp steering wheel height which is a biggie for me. The seats were leather and not oiled so consequently they are cracking like mad in driver's seat and one of the rear seats. That's annoying and given a choice, I'd have opted for cloth because leather and 120 degree weather don't mix! The gas mileage is supposed to be 17-22 but I easily clear 25 in town and 30 if I do 60-65 on highway. In fact, I drove to St. Louis with cruise on at 55 mph and got nearly 38 miles to the gallon! Overall I'm very pleased and plan on keeping the car for several more years for my daughter.

Not all its cut up to be
By maznwmn on 07/28/13 23:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used. It had 120k miles on it. After 4 months the engine blew. We had issues with it wanting to overheat when stopping & going. Issues with the abs light having a mind of its own. Replaced brakes twice in 6 months. Squealy brakes constantly. Think twice before buying this car.

Amazing First Car
By Donny on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass GL 4dr Sedan

I recently bought this car from my friends grandmother, who hardly ever drove it. It only had 52,980 miles on it. I have had it for a month and it now has almost 54,000 miles on it. It is amazingly fun to drive. Even though it is kind of a 'grandma' car, it still can get up and go. The leather interior is amazing. This is an overall great car. I have had no problems with it, but the wiper fluid container has a leak.

Pretty Good for the money
By BLee on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 1999 with about 18,000 miles on it. The V6 engine has plenty of power to move the car. I have had the same problems listed by others; two intake gaskets, alternator, brakes galore. Then at 178,000 miles the camshaft broke, destroying the engine. I bought a junk yard engine and tranny with 26,000 miles on them and had the car back on the road for $1500. It's now pushing 190,000 miles and I plan to drive it until it can no longer be repaired. I'm 6'7" tall and there's plenty of legroom for me in the driver's seat. I've been very pleased with the car. I've definitely gotten my moneys worth out of it.

Good car
By woodaf23 on 07/06/10 12:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass GL 4dr Sedan

we've had our Cutlass for 7 years now and it has 126,000 miles now. It's been a great car, never left us stranded. Has had regular maintenance, but nothing major, and nothing recurring/problematic. We've put a lot of miles on it and use it pretty much every day and it's been good to us. In the last year or two it had developed some rust along the bottom of the doors, which I'm told is a common problem for the cutlass/malibus. For being a 6 cylinder it has pretty good performance and is fun to drive.

It's out of the shop finally
By Disheartened on 11/10/09 19:21 PM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass GL 4dr Sedan

The transmission shop put in 2 used transmissions and tried a used computer. With a new computer the transmission is real smooth. We'll know for sure next summer when the heat is on if the clunking days are over for good. My dad said put in used parts to fix the air conditioning. After what I've been thru I don't think so!!! That's next to fix.

A Decent Vehicle
By Darth Decimatus on 10/08/09 16:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Olds Cutlass at the end of my Sophomore year in College. Its been a decent car and fairly reliable. However, it is seeming to nickel and dime me more and more as time goes on. Since this summer started, the catalytic converter went (at about 62,000 miles), a pulley on the serpentine belt disintergrated due to a bad bearing, the front struts are shot, and now a loud grinding noise seems to be coming from the compressor. In addition, my tapedeck and lights on the radio don't work, and there is also a ton of rattling in the interior that is only getting worse. Overall, age is not this car's ally. It is a decent car, but definitely not constructed to last.

It's in the shop again
By disheartened on 09/14/09 23:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a dealer's home in the fall with cooler weather. I can see why it wouldn't sell in hot weather,as the transmission clunks real bad when it's hot out. I bought the car with 44,000 and have 84,000. My mechanic said my transmission was perfect inside but bulged on the outside. He put in another one last week with 5,000 less miles on it and it was clunking within 10 miles of the shop. He fixed the wheel bearing. The air conditioner hasn't worked since last summer. I've had to replace the water pump and fix the front end when the steering stopped working. He replaced something to control the pressure in the transmission but that didn't help. The tape player was bad also.

Pretty good and reliable car for the $
By Tim on 06/25/09 17:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car new in '98 as I needed a little larger but fuel efficient car. I did have a few minor annoyances at first (rattly glove box, water pump problems) though these got fixed by the dealer and stayed fixed. I've driven this all over the country, 182000 plus miles, and still get 29 mpg highway. It has been a very reliable car overall. I've had no major, bank-breaking problems except what you'd normally expect (new brakes, tires, etc). The interior is comparatively roomy (to my wife's Honda Accord) and has always been the car of choice for family trips. I hope to get to 200000 miles and over; after 11 plus years of good performance this seems a reasonable expectation.

definate winner
By DB on 05/31/09 01:47 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass GLS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car in 1999 with 17,000 miles on it. With the exception of an alternator, two head gaskets, many sets of brakes, and a power steering pump my car just turned 275,000 miles and STILL gets 27mpg average. Took a trip last summer and with cruise control I got 30mpg. If only it would last forever.